Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:02 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,002,135 times

Advertisements

Oh yes! El Rito too!

We stopped there one time and my husband visited a furniture making place...there was a great weaving shop, too, and we were there right when the annual arts festival was going on. It was very cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 02:08 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,327,256 times
Been getting a wonderful history lesson of the area. Trying to find more information out about the Robert Redford connection with Chama and the Terra Wool Shop. This area seems to have a very interesting history. I am going to buy an out of print book regarding the Chama Valley area. Because of it's history I might look on the other side of the mountain but I must admit my heart is in that area. Maybe, this September I'll visit the local churches and spend time doing some local stuff to see how accepting the people are of "strangers".

Old 03-16-2008, 03:46 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,002,135 times
Oh Debbie!

I had a chance to go to the yarn shop at Tierra Wools in Los Ojos NM several years ago. It is a wonderful place. I wanted to buy a lot of their really beautiful yarn, but it was very expensive.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:48 AM

Yes it is! They dye their own wool and they use only local sheep which is part of the reason. Of course, their weaving is beyond compare. I am a weaver and have 2 large floor looms but nothing I turn out looks like theirs. I would love to take a class from them. Also, my husband says we would enjoy taking a dyeing class using only the plants that they offer in the fall.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 AM

775 posts, read 2,581,718 times
Default Hermits Like the Ancho Area not Chama

The Area of Ancho and White Oaks N.M. is where the Hermits that ive known have lived and it gets plenty of snow and cold in the winter and lots of Federal Land in the Area and Gold Mines and places to hike and explore. And its isolated but Wal marts are only about an hour away in Ruidoso and Alamogordo. Lots of smaller towns in the Area. Chama had their only store in town the Roof caved in with all the 5 to 7 feet of snow they had this winter. Like one reader says its probably one of the coldest places in N.M. Alamosa got to 27 below i think this winter. el pintada kid

Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 AM

The grocery store is open!!!!!!! That is a big plus for the area. Now, will someone tell me why land is so expensive? Been looking at homes right in "downtown" Chama and they seem high to me. Yes, I can buy one but I would have thought with so few people and jobs and I am sure the locals can't be making that kind of money. Is it spectators expecting or hunting for people to drop 10,000 an area. Here in Eastern OK, I have 300 acres for cattle and I'll list for 3000 per acrea but be quite pleased with 1/2 of that...... I guess, I am moving from a low cost area to a high cost area. Would have expected those prices manybe in Red River because of the ski slopes but didn't in Chama. My problem is I love the mountains too much for my own good.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 PM

got that price wrong per acre. Much more than 10 per acrea. At least where I've been looking. Of course the beauty is worth every penny.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:42 PM

9,344 posts, read 20,699,378 times
Chama now has Google Street View:

chama nm - Google Maps

Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM

246 posts, read 627,397 times
Reading this thread reminds me of something. My husband was born and raised in Raton - knows everyone there, well liked, etc. One time he went to a funeral in either Chama or Questa. WHILE AT THE FUNERAL a local
leaned over and told him, "If I were you I'd leave before the sun goes down." It's not that he did anything, it's just that he was an outsider.
An outsider is anyone not born and raised and living in that town.
They are just their own people there. Don't think of moving there trying to change anyone. Thinking of building a house there? Make sure you take all materials and supplies with you until you move in, or they won't be there the next day.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:01 PM

702 posts, read 2,290,412 times
Reading through this thread reminds me of the setting of the novel Milagro Beanfield War. Excellent book and the movie was OK as well. It was filmed in a small town in Northern NM, but not Chama. Thanks for the interesting posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico