U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:18 AM

120 posts, read 290,708 times

Advertisements

Southern New Mexico is so beautiful...it's what made this state enchanting.

Consider the Lakes, the Forests, the Caverns, the Mountains, the Rocks, and the Birds.

Not to mention the happy, sassy faces one sees in southern New Mexico, and their houses which are colorful, and don't look alike, and are sometimes seen zipping around from one beautiful spot to the other in southern New Mexico.

Water is the “lifeblood” of the southwest, and Elephant Butte and Caballo Lakes are the “heart” of New Mexico. They happen to be located in southern New Mexico.

The Lincoln Forest is a pristine stand of pondeBullBoxer31, God's idea made manifest in southern New Mexico.

The Gila Forest is the largest and most diversified forest in the United States. Not to mention the Apache Rock Gods of the Gila, known as the Kneeling Nun and the City of Rocks.

Not to mention the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Carlsbad Caverns is one of the WONDERS OF THE WORLD !!!

Not to mention that the Boot (in the southern-most part of southern New Mexico) is the eastern gateway to the spectacular Chiricahua Mountains.

Not to mention Sierra Blanca towering above the White Sands National Monument.

The Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge is one of the most spectacular bird and wildlife sanctuaries in North America. If you haven't seen the explosion of arctic geese and sandhill cranes take flight in one fell swoop at sunrise, you haven't seen beautiful.

White Sands Missile Range tells a story about our mushroom past, while Spaceport America (our gateway to space) tells us where our future lies--not to mention the place where extraterrestrials once chose to visit.

The prehistoric people who lived on the mesas of southern New Mexico, with their classic Mimbres pottery, have inspired artists world wide. The unique designs on these bowls are the bread and butter of the modern Pueblo artisans. Not to mention that the "ancient ones" obviously had a better sense of humor while living hereabouts... down south...the land of forever spring and fall...in beautiful southern New Mexico,
Rate this post positively

Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM

10,040 posts, read 20,134,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Northern New Mexico is 1000x more beautiful than southern New mexico.
Going to have to strongly disagree here. though I prefer Northern NM, the Land of Enchantment isn't fully defined by the north and Southern NM completes the picture. Not to mention think of Hatch and the chile crops which are the soul of the state. Open minds will reveal stunning beauty in Southern NM, I love it down there and intend to visit very often.

White sands, sunrise (http://www.flickr.com/photos/iskuhi/6970120663/ - broken link) by Iskou-Hee (http://www.flickr.com/people/iskuhi/ - broken link), on Flickr

Snow in Ruidoso, New Mexico (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdtbird21/4491787958/ - broken link) by PDTBIRD2009 (http://www.flickr.com/people/pdtbird21/ - broken link), on Flickr

Organ Mountains (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54129061@N07/6756155983/ - broken link) by JNLE (http://www.flickr.com/people/54129061@N07/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 AM

430 posts, read 1,530,873 times
^^ I'd have to disagree.. Northern New Mexico IS what comes to mind when people think of New Mexico. When people think of Southern new mexico, they think of White sands, carlsbad caverns, roswell (ufo's) and green chili( which doesnt only come from hatch) dry, desert, hot, but nothing that truely stands out like Santa Fe, Taos, the history, the culture, the wild west, cowboys and the entire history of the north.. You're right it does have points of attraction like Carlsbad Caverns and Hatch green chili, but other than that? It's close to the border... It does have white sands, and many interesting places though I'm not taking any of that away from it, both are interesting, but Northern New Mexico is unique, and unlike anything you've ever seen before. I think Northern new mexico has the edge when it comes to distinct cuisine, santa fe, taos, las vegas, historic towns, from the wild west (which many movies are still being filmed today) and scenary, as well as climate. When I think of northern new mexico, I think four distinct seasons, not too hot, not too cold, i imagine green in the spring and summer, and many plants blossoming , I also think art, a place tourists fall in love with, and a place that culture thrives. I'm not saying southern new mexico is bad and doesnt have that, but it just doesn't stand out as much, it does have great things about it to, but to me it doesn't stand out as much, when I think of new mexico, I think Northern new mexico for its culture, cuisine, arts, and diversity, non of this including Alb, even tho I think it's more northern than southern, it's centrally located.. But as far as Northern vs Southern NM goes I for sure believe Northern has the edge, just based on it's history, and influence as a whole (wild west, history, art, culture, diversity, cuisine)

taos

bandelier national monument
http://taylortucker.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/p336786-bandelier_national_monument.jpg (broken link)

hermits peak

santa fe

las vegas
http://www.lasvegasnm-realestate.com/images/lasvegaspix-1.jpg (broken link)

United World College

Last edited by mt971x; 04-09-2012 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 AM

1,789 posts, read 3,862,157 times
I agree and love to vist Northern NM every year. Can't get enough of Santa Fe.
Wonderful pictures. I've taken some of the same too.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,262,246 times
Just two or three more years until snowbird express launches for Socorro.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 AM

10,040 posts, read 20,134,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
^^ I'd have to disagree.. Northern New Mexico IS what comes to mind when people think of New Mexico. When people think of Southern new mexico, they think of White sands, carlsbad caverns, roswell (ufo's) and green chili( which doesnt only come from hatch) dry, desert, hot, but nothing that truely stands out like Santa Fe, Taos, the history, the culture, the wild west, cowboys and the entire history of the north.. You're right it does have points of attraction like Carlsbad Caverns and Hatch green chili, but other than that? It's close to the border... It does have white sands, and many interesting places though I'm not taking any of that away from it, both are interesting, but Northern New Mexico is unique, and unlike anything you've ever seen before. I think Northern new mexico has the edge when it comes to distinct cuisine, santa fe, taos, las vegas, historic towns, from the wild west (which many movies are still being filmed today) and scenary, as well as climate. When I think of northern new mexico, I think four distinct seasons, not too hot, not too cold, i imagine green in the spring and summer, and many plants blossoming , I also think art, a place tourists fall in love with, and a place that culture thrives. I'm not saying southern new mexico is bad and doesnt have that, but it just doesn't stand out as much, it does have great things about it to, but to me it doesn't stand out as much, when I think of new mexico, I think Northern new mexico for its culture, cuisine, arts, and diversity, non of this including Alb, even tho I think it's more northern than southern, it's centrally located.. But as far as Northern vs Southern NM goes I for sure believe Northern has the edge, just based on it's history, and influence as a whole (wild west, history, art, culture, diversity, cuisine)
While I agree most of the states history, charm, famous artistry, pueblos, and cultural aspects and perhaps a bit more scenic variety are much stronger in the North as you have articulated, I was simply counter pointing your original post of "Northern NM is 1000x more beautiful than the South". That's just proposterous diss, Southern NM is beautiful and enchanting in its own right. Places like White Sands have a kind of magic not found anywhere else, the sharp, jagged, and pinacle peaks of the Organ Mountains are uniquely stunning, and I appreciate the agricultural aspects that Southern NM contribute to the state overall as well. Southern NM contributes much and completes the whole picture.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 AM

4,276 posts, read 7,754,305 times
When thinking of SoNM, don't overlook Billy the Kid! His fame has spread world-wide and it's likely people everywhere would never know of NM were it not for his legend.

And in all the discussions so far, Lincoln and Lincoln county have both gotten short shrift. To say nothing of Ft. Stanton and it's Snowy River cavern, the Hondo Valley, Sunspot, Valley of Fires, Mescalero, El Capitan, Monjeau, Sitting Bull Falls, Otero Mesa, Lechiguilla Cavern, and on and on....

Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Status: "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast." (set 12 days ago)

17,359 posts, read 20,059,239 times
If I were mean, I would say that southern New Mexico, for all its charms, is really just a transitional area between west Texas and southern Arizona; offering the best of both those worlds, but lacking the unique identity and culture of northern New Mexico.

But I'm not mean so I won't say that :-)

Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 AM

120 posts, read 290,708 times
Post Unique identity & culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If I were mean, I would say that southern New Mexico, for all its charms, is really just a transitional area between west Texas and southern Arizona; offering the best of both those worlds, but lacking the unique identity and culture of northern New Mexico.

Yes southern New Mexico is lacking the unique identity and culture of northern New Mexico. It has ITS OWN unique identity and culture.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,139,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I'll take south NM culture over what the north NM culture has become any time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico