U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 AM

460 posts, read 828,704 times

Advertisements

I'm tagging this for when I move to ABQ.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM

120 posts, read 290,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I'll take south NM culture over what the north NM culture has become any time
I love northern NM culture (I used to be a norteña (Spanish for northerner), but I also love southern NM any time. The culture here is a great mix of cowboys, hispanos, artists, hippies, techies, and grey people...and I don't just mean greys of the "alien" kind.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,145,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMnative View Post
I love northern NM culture (I used to be a norteña (Spanish for northerner), but I also love southern NM any time. The culture here is a great mix of cowboys, hispanos, artists, hippies, techies, and grey people...and I don't just mean greys of the "alien" kind.
I was thinking more of the crap that Santa Fe and Taos have become . That ain't culture no more.

OD

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM

Sure it is. The north always has to account for its age and reputation. The south is always more laid back because of its warmth and simplicity. Same is true for northern USA and the deep south, not to mention our two continents in the western hemisphere. Same is true for east and west. It's like a balancing act. Taos and Santa Fe are what most people think New Mexico is all about, so let's give them their due. Southern New Mexico, however, is a well-kept secret.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Going to have to strongly disagree here. though I prefer Northern NM, the Land of Enchantment isn't fully defined by the north and Southern NM completes the picture. Not to mention think of Hatch and the chile crops which are the soul of the state. Open minds will reveal stunning beauty in Southern NM, I love it down there and intend to visit very often.

White sands, sunrise (http://www.flickr.com/photos/iskuhi/6970120663/ - broken link) by Iskou-Hee (http://www.flickr.com/people/iskuhi/ - broken link), on Flickr

Snow in Ruidoso, New Mexico (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdtbird21/4491787958/ - broken link) by PDTBIRD2009 (http://www.flickr.com/people/pdtbird21/ - broken link), on Flickr

Organ Mountains (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54129061@N07/6756155983/ - broken link) by JNLE (http://www.flickr.com/people/54129061@N07/ - broken link), on Flickr
Thanks for reminding me once again about the "beauty" of southern New Mexico. How could anyone discount the Organ Mountains--or the beautiful city that lies below them, the city of crosses (Las Cruces, NM.

Southern New Mexico | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoffarth/3810716412/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,547,985 times
Quote:
I was thinking more of the crap that Santa Fe and Taos have become . That ain't culture no more.

OD
Why don't you try to explore outside of the tourist areas of taos and SF? I have lots of friends and family that live in both places and others in between. My family, as well as my wife's family have been in NM for nearly 400 years. There is still a lot of culture in both places. As long as you explore a little and quit focusing on what you perceive as negative areas.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Why don't you try to explore outside of the tourist areas of taos and SF? I have lots of friends and family that live in both places and others in between. My family, as well as my wife's family have been in NM for nearly 400 years. There is still a lot of culture in both places. As long as you explore a little and quit focusing on what you perceive as negative areas.
I am aware of all that. However, that is not what people think of when they hear Santa Fe and Taos, that's all . Although I have to say I was very disappointed when I spent some time in Espanola for example.

OD

Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,547,985 times
Quote:
I am aware of all that. However, that is not what people think of when they hear Santa Fe and Taos, that's all .
Not my experience, and I have traveled extensively. Now of course, you probably don't like the art portion of the two.

Quote:
Although I have to say I was very disappointed when I spent some time in Espanola for example.
Many are. Not every place is for everyone.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM

4,276 posts, read 7,771,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMnative View Post
S Taos and Santa Fe are what most people think New Mexico is all about, so let's give them their due. Southern New Mexico, however, is a well-kept secret.
Most people who live north of IH-40 often forget there is anything south of IH-40. Our governor Martinez has brought much needed publicity to the Las Cruces area, but much more is needed to incorporate the southern half into the perceived image of NM as a whole, IMO.

I tend to equate Santa Fe / Taos with the equally interesting dichotomy of Las Cruces / Mesilla.

Las Vegas / Raton with Roswell / Carlsbad.

Red River with Ruidoso.

Gallup with Mescalero.

The Sangre de Christo with the Sacramento.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Not my experience, and I have traveled extensively. Now of course, you probably don't like the art portion of the two.
I don't like the big fake outsider money and all the "pretending". Nature is pretty, so are all the small mountain villages around Taos and Santa Fe and these small settlement cultures is what I consider "true NM culture" not the "I came from New York or L.A. 'cause it was crowded and brought my $3 million so now that I am all taken care of I can BS the world about spirits and vortexes".

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico