U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 3,661,317 times

Advertisements

Very different culturally too. I grew up in Cruces and worked in Santa Fe for about 5 years (lived in Placitas). Pretty much everything is different and it boils down to the local hispanic populations. Call someone north of Socorro a Mexican and you'll get a punch in the nose. Along with Spaniards come green chile with pork and red chile with beef. Down south hispanics are proud to be known as Mexican and the red is made with pork and the green with beef. Like it should be.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 AM

475 posts, read 1,156,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Did they mention that Las Cruces dominates the football landscape in New Mexico

I'm sure they did
But some people -- not me, to be sure -- have noted that it is the really dismal towns where everyone pours all their energies into football and you have the really great teams.

I will -- it goes without saying -- disassociate myself from this vile calumny.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,513,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio
Did they mention that Las Cruces dominates the football landscape in New Mexico
OH BOY! Just holding our collective breaths and waiting for all those Lobo fans to wade in here and take this thread to new heights of rivalry!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,220,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
OH BOY! Just holding our collective breaths and waiting for all those Lobo fans to wade in here and take this thread to new heights of rivalry!

I think Ibarrio was talking high school football. Not even the proudest alumni would argue that the Aggie football team dominates anything.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,513,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I think Ibarrio was talking high school football. Not even the proudest alumni would argue that the Aggie football team dominates anything.
I was under the impression that high school football was more of a major attraction in much smaller and more rural towns, especially those bordering Texas on NM's eastern plains. Santa Fe schools have often been foremost in the news too - but that could be because the papers in that part of the state don't usually bother acknowledging anything south of I-40!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,952,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I was under the impression that high school football was more of a major attraction in much smaller and more rural towns, especially those bordering Texas on NM's eastern plains. Santa Fe schools have often been foremost in the news too - but that could be because the papers in that part of the state don't usually bother acknowledging anything south of I-40!

you are right, HS football is loved in Clovis,Portales,Hobbs,Roswell,Lovington and Artesia

Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 PM

17,069 posts, read 22,402,294 times
Desert sun and Jaxart are both right. In fact, Artesia is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest football program going in the state. One of my friends lives in Hagerman, north of Artesia.He has friends whose kids have been in the program for years. Artesia went to 4-A several years ago, and with a combined record of 3-A and 4-A, have won a total of 26 state football championships-a state record.

It might not get the bright lights of high school football in Midland and Odessa, Texas (been to one of THOSE games), but they support the programs down there and then some. For a town of about 11,000 people they represent high school football as well as anyone.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,051,065 times
I love college football on down - 'amateur' football? (Which by definition would be played for the love of the game.) Pro football, not so much. The Dallas Cowboys are so corporate it's sickening, with Jerry Jones doing commercials for pizza, and Wing Stop touting itself as the 'official wings of the Dallas Cowboys'. How silly is that? Not to mention $75 just to park at one of the Cowboys games. Holey socks, Batman! And the games will be blacked out in the local area if the games don't sell out, so they have the NFL on their side (go figure).

High school football is huge in West Texas, and not small here in DFW. I'm sure eastern NM is similar.

Last edited by catman; 09-16-2009 at 04:06 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,952,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Desert sun and Jaxart are both right. In fact, Artesia is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest football program going in the state. One of my friends lives in Hagerman, north of Artesia.He has friends whose kids have been in the program for years. Artesia went to 4-A several years ago, and with a combined record of 3-A and 4-A, have won a total of 26 state football championships-a state record.

It might not get the bright lights of high school football in Midland and Odessa, Texas (been to one of THOSE games), but they support the programs down there and then some. For a town of about 11,000 people they represent high school football as well as anyone.

the backup QB for the Oklahoma Sooners is an Artesia boy and Colt McCoy the QB for U of Texas was born in Hobbs but grew up in West Texas. Then you have Urlacher who is idolized in Lovington and Hank Baskett of the Eagles(was) from Clovis.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 PM

17,069 posts, read 22,402,294 times
A little tip from a long, long time Bronco fan.

Mike Shanahan had his eye on Brian Urlacher for a couple years. At that time the Broncos were winning Super Bowls. Shanahan wanted to move up in the draft and tried , but failed to make a package deal for Urlacher.The year Urlacher was drafted, the Broncos slipped to 6-10 because they lost 8 players for the season with injuries by the halfway point of the season, but Denver couldn't move up in the draft anyway. I belonged to the Bronco quarterback club for a long time till I moved to the west side of the state, so I was able to get in on all the latest gossip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico