Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 06:20 AM

139 posts, read 169,387 times

Advertisements

What are these areas like? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 07:13 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,139,336 times
Flat, hot summers, humid (for NM), and feel more like Texas than Dallas or El Paso.

Housing is scant and expensive. Oil industry is on top, though Nuclear industry services are starting to further push the economy and stretch the housing stock.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:02 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
And there is this fairly obnoxious smell of burning oil in the air sporadically around Hobbs and Lovington. Because of the oil derricks churnin' and a burnin' constantly round about those two small eastern New Mexico towns.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,099,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
And there is this fairly obnoxious smell of burning oil in the air sporadically around Hobbs and Lovington.
The locals refer to it as "the smell of money!" And they don't mean burning money either.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:29 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
Oh I'm sure they do, joqua! Hard ta argue the money part of it, yes.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,264 times
I was in the New Mexico Jr College for about a year, and I really can't recommend it. The Wal-mart is always packed, ALWAYS, and there's carts all through the parking lot. There's not much driving sense in these people, and they'll run you off the road if they can.

If you're thinking of going to the college, the dorms are fairly nice, but there are some girls there who will try and take advantage of you if you have a car. So never offer rides anywhere, they will literally pound your dorm door down trying to get to you. Entitlement!

I spent most of my time in the college, so I can't tell you much about the cost of living. But I can tell you that the town's not a good place to be in.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM

139 posts, read 169,387 times
Default Updates On Hobbs and Lovington 2012

How have things been in H & L in 2012 ?

I hear both H&L hired a lot of police, more drilling in Hobbs, I think someone told me they opened a new hotel.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM

471 posts, read 971,776 times
I have been getting the Hobbs and Lovington papers for over 30 years, the area is back in another boom period: high prices, high rents,unfortunately there are no good deals to be had right now, cheapest living is to get a rv spot in a park. Hobbs is all about lots and lots of people milling around, but most oilfield type jobs want oilfield experienced people, not much roustabout or entry level work. If you are wanting to buy a house there, wait until the downside to avoid the current exceedingly high prices. And yes, another new mid to upper scale hotel is opening up on the Lovington highway, owned by a foreign national who also owns some others in Hobbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico