U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:39 AM

234 posts, read 651,736 times

Advertisements

We have never been to NM but we are considering moving there, but we are looking for a place with very low crime and I will happily sacrifice a "night life" for safety. A safe city with less than 250,000 or a town with less than 30,000 nearby a larger city would be great. HOT, dry, sunny in the summer = wonderful! And snow in the winter is fine! Also I would love to live in a more rural area that still is within reasonable distance to a city with jobs. I want to have some acreage and possibly get some horses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 06:19 AM

238 posts, read 579,143 times
Lightbulb Some Safe Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
We have never been to NM but we are considering moving there, but we are looking for a place with very low crime and I will happily sacrifice a "night life" for safety. A safe city with less than 250,000 or a town with less than 30,000 nearby a larger city would be great. HOT, dry, sunny in the summer = wonderful! And snow in the winter is fine! Also I would love to live in a more rural area that still is within reasonable distance to a city with jobs. I want to have some acreage and possibly get some horses.
Well, according to what I have read in your post, I would recommend Santa Fe. Fairly hot, dry, and sunny in the summer with snow in the winter. About 65,000 population, high elevation, low crime, nice restaurants and galleries, pretty good schools. There were about 9 murders in 2006, which is kinda high for such a small city. But I am pretty sure that 8 of those murders were drug, gang, or domestic violence related. I cannot imagine SF having a high random murder rate like we do down here in Albuquerque.

You may also want to check out Taos and Los Alamos as well. Again, low crime, high elevation, small population, good schools (Los Alamos) and pretty good weather as well.

Hope this helps.

-BtK

Old 10-04-2009, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 11,429 times
Default Northern NM

Billygoat
I live in Raton NM, northern NM and work both in NM and southern CO. From what I read on your post, you would be a better fit for the Trinidad CO area. Trinidad is the southern most town in CO and 17 miles from northern NM. High plains desert, some snow, lots of sunshine, easy climate. Trinidad is a small victorian town that built its history on mining. Lots and lots of phenomemal 35 acre parcels with drop dead views. For a CO mountain area this area is the last spot in CO that is still affordable.
I am in construction and real estate in both states and can answer your questions. Let me know if I an help

Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 AM

15,850 posts, read 28,196,557 times
I think the only city in NM anywhere that has close to 250,000 is Albuquerque! That's IT, by a factor of many.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,565,299 times
actually Riudoso which is in the southern part of the state sounds like a fit. Yes, Sante Fe might work, but property is very pricey, in fact totally out of sight and the area is very liberal. If that is what you want, then go for it. Los Alamos was suggested, but again on the high end. You didn't mention your housing budget. That would make a difference.

Nita

Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,948,981 times
there really isnt too much in Northern NM, maybe Farmington,NM would be the best bet but has a good amount of crime and so does the surrounding areas. Not much else other than small towns and reservations in N.NM besides Santa Fe and Los Alamos which are expensive. Las Vegas is a small college town but has a descent amount of crime also.

Ruidoso does sound like a great fit.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,511,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Ruidoso does sound like a great fit.
Ruidoso is a TOURIST town - and that is the first order of business, as seasonal and fluctuating as that can be.

Unless you are in the home construction or real estate business, Ruidoso is NOT a place to expect to find employment - paying a living wage, that is. Construction (home building) is at a virtual standstill the past year or so, and every other person, it seems, has a realtor's license. Real estate offices outnumber all other types of businesses in the area.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 AM

3,011 posts, read 9,323,533 times
Ruidoso? "Safest City in Northen New Mexico"??? Have they moved it?

To the OP:
I see you said this:
Quote:
We have never been to NM but we are considering moving there
Bad bad idea. My opinion is that one should never make a decision like that without first seeing the state you are considering moving to...and especially New Mexico. This state is different than every other place in many ways, and some people love it and some people come here and hate it and can't wait to leave. You will never know how you feel about it until you come out here and have a look around. That's the best advice I can give people thinking about moving out here.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Ruidoso? "Safest City in Northen New Mexico"??? Have they moved it?

To the OP:
I see you said this:

Bad bad idea. My opinion is that one should never make a decision like that without first seeing the state you are considering moving to...and especially New Mexico. This state is different than every other place in many ways, and some people love it and some people come here and hate it and can't wait to leave. You will never know how you feel about it until you come out here and have a look around. That's the best advice I can give people thinking about moving out here.

If you would have read the above posts than you would see how someone mentioned that Ruidoso was in Southern NM and would be a good fit cause Northern NM didnt have too many cities to fit what the OP's looking for. Since Ruidoso was already mentioned that it was in Southern NM, I felt no need to mention it again.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:56 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,323,533 times
Why would you have decided I didn't read the above posts?

I never reply on any thread in which I have not read all the posts.

I just find it continually funny that any thread about NORTHERN New Mexico turns to a recommendation that people consider Ruidoso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico