Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:13 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times

Advertisements

Any time I've gotten a flu shot, I get cold sores for the rest of the winter. You figure! So I am not getting a flu shot. Be careful if you are going in the hospital for surgery. They may try to give you one without your consent. That happened to me last year. Fortunately, I asked the nurse what the shot was for and averted the attempt. I have a question - can anyone explain how you can tell the difference between the swine flu and any other flu?? At what point do you go to a doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 PM

74 posts, read 209,106 times
Nope, definitely not getting the shot. We don't do any vaccines in this family. Supposedly they're giving them to the school kids sometime in the next few weeks. I made sure to not give my consent for my kid to get it.

Besides we all had H1N1 about a month ago. It hit my husband the hardest but he's definitely been way sicker with other things before. It was just like a nasty cold. My kids (ages 2 and 5) barely even noticed they were ill.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:06 PM

167 posts, read 598,345 times
No for me too! I have never had a flu shot and probably never will, and I never get the flu. I have real concerns whether it messes with our immune systems. I have a utube video I should post on this subject. It is very informative.

I am trying to follow the advice of Dr Oz who says to keep your hands away from your face. That means not touching your eyes, or inside of nose. Use a kleenex as these open areas are how the flu can enter our bodies. Teach kids to not pick their nose, and eat healthy wash hands for a good long time.

It seems like there is a vaccine for everything under the sun now, is it really helping us??? are we staying any healthier? It doesnt seem so.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 PM

229 posts, read 655,460 times
Got mine about 1 month ago and the only problem was at the shot site. I just stay away from those that are sick, that includes the grandkids.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
There seems to be problems getting the shots here in Eastern OK. My daughter finally got both the flu and the swine because she is an RN last week but has been taking care of sick people with the swine flu for weeks before. I was very worried about her. My husband was able to get the regular flu shot but when I tried they were out. Whats up with that shot. If they give it to the Gitmo people first I'll be mad.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
No. I've never been in the anti-vaccination camp, but. . . Stories like this certainly doesn't do much to make me confident in the safety of vaccines:

Baxter Sent Bird Flu Virus to European Labs by Error (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31971355...lth-swine_flu/

(And there's been a lot of other weirdness related to these issues in the past couple years. Personally, I think something is up.)

Anyway, I had a couple really bad cases of the flu (once in Philadelphia, and once again after moving to Albuquerque) in 2008, so my completely unscientific theory is that that gives me immunity for a while.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 11-09-2009 at 07:03 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Although I am in a high risk group (healthcare worker), I haven't had the shot yet and I probably won't. I was exposed to the virus back when it was still being called the "swine flu". My employer called me at home and informed me one of my patients had been diagnosed with it. That patient was really sick. I however, did not develop any symptoms then and I have not up to this day.

One of my kids was exposed to the virus in school and ended up getting it. She did not have nausea, vomiting or diarrhea so, I did not take her to the hospital. I checked her temperature regularly, gave her acetaminophen and made her drink PLENTY of water. Kept her home from school and she was back to normal after a week. Nobody else in the house got it.

Since viruses mutate, I fail to see how the vaccine is going to guarantee 100 percent immunity against the virus. The government probably wants to protect DOD personnel (our troops) in Gitmo more than they want to protect the detainees. If the government wants to prevent the spread of the virus on the installation, it stands to reason that they vaccinate the prisoners. That's the way I look at it.

For those who are extremely worried about becoming infected, I suggest you wear a mask when you go out in public. Wipe every surface you touch with a disinfectant (such as telephones, keyboards, shopping cart handles, etc.). Stay away from people who are coughing. Practicing good hand washing is always in good order. Avoid touching/piking your nose and lips. Use tissues if you sneeze and wash your hands afterwards.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Jan 10, 2020
11:20 a.m. MST
By Associated Press
https://www.kanw.com/post/latest-new...1120-am-mst-45

FLU-NEW MEXICO

"SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Health officials in New Mexico have confirmed the first death of a child due to the flu this season. The state Health Department says the 1-year-old boy was from Roosevelt County. Officials have recorded a total of 52 pneumonia and flu-related deaths since the start of the season in October. The health department is warning that flu is still spreading in all regions of the state and that peak activity hasn't been reached. The agency says this season is already unusual for how early the illness became widespread and vaccinations are recommended."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Mexico child dies of flu-related illness
New Mexico

by: KRQE Media

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...lated-illness/

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 / 09:25 PM MST / Updated: Jan 10, 2020 / 10:12 AM MST
iStock_baby-hand big_457600

ROOSEVELT COUNTY, N.M. (KRQE) – Pediatric influenza has claimed the life of a New Mexico child for the first time this flu season.

The New Mexico Department of Health reports a one-year-old boy from Roosevelt County died from the illness. The department reports 52 people have died statewide from pneumonia and the flu since October.

The NMDOH says flu hospitalizations for children four and under are currently more than double the national average. The department encourages children over six months old to get their flu vaccine as soon as possible.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:01 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
ya i did get the flu shot this year.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:55 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Yes, a week ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico