Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:59 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
You know, I've never once heard anyone in the "valley" refer to them as anything other than "irrigation" and "drainage" ditches.

Whereas I've never heard these same ditches referred to as anything but "acequias" in the Santa Fe area.

I've recently moved into the area and have indeed heard dirtches called acequeias, by my realtor, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I've recently moved into the area and have indeed heard dirtches called acequeias, by my realtor, I think.
There are some very old acequeias there in Corrales, the main one going North/South with the major banks on each side go back to the 1500's. Nice horse, bicycle and pedestrian trail.

Rich

Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe Western Water Law is there to admire, inspire and confuse.
Most Western Water Law has nothing to do with acequias. Acequias pretty much only exist in New Mexico, and are in my opinion contrary to the doctrine of conservation of water because they are allowed to willy nilly open their headgates and flood their lands, sometimes in the middle of the day so that much water evaporates from the surface. However, because acequias for the time being are considered to be some romantic and culturally vital part of New Mexico, they will probably continue to go largely unmonitored, unmetered and do whatever they want to.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Most Western Water Law has nothing to do with acequias. Acequias pretty much only exist in New Mexico, and are in my opinion contrary to the doctrine of conservation of water because they are allowed to willy nilly open their headgates and flood their lands, sometimes in the middle of the day so that much water evaporates from the surface. However, because acequias for the time being are considered to be some romantic and culturally vital part of New Mexico, they will probably continue to go largely unmonitored, unmetered and do whatever they want to.
One thing we seem to be hearing in the Pojoaque Valley is that we must put our water rights to beneficial use or lose them -- this would apply to both well water and acequia water. Clearly this works against water conservation. What a number of people are doing is planting fruit trees which apparently count as beneficial use.

I am not entirely immune to this impulse -- I now have six fruit trees and will plant more this coming spring.

It should be prettier around here in the spring anyway.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
One thing we seem to be hearing in the Pojoaque Valley is that we must put our water rights to beneficial use or lose them --
Do you know of a case where someone had their water rights revoked?

I've heard of this possibility as it applies to large water users such as an association's water system, but I've never known of anyone who actually lost part or all of their assigned rights. It may be a case of the laws being on the books but lacking enforcement - or the will to enforce.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Do you know of a case where someone had their water rights revoked?

I've heard of this possibility as it applies to large water users such as an association's water system, but I've never known of anyone who actually lost part or all of their assigned rights. It may be a case of the laws being on the books but lacking enforcement - or the will to enforce.
Water rights can be lost through forfeiture or abandonment by law. Forfeiture has never been used as far as I know, however non-use of a water right for approximately 20 years or more can lead to abandonment of a water right, and I do know of that happening. In addition, if you do something like put a structure or development over something that was irrigated in the past, that could be a prima facie case of abandonment.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
One thing we seem to be hearing in the Pojoaque Valley is that we must put our water rights to beneficial use or lose them -- this would apply to both well water and acequia water. Clearly this works against water conservation. What a number of people are doing is planting fruit trees which apparently count as beneficial use.

I am not entirely immune to this impulse -- I now have six fruit trees and will plant more this coming spring.

It should be prettier around here in the spring anyway.
If you are talking about domestic wells, that is not true. For irrigation wells, that could be the case. You are correct that the doctrine of prior appropriation sometimes runs contrary to conservation of water when it is use it or lose it. That's why some acequias and ditches are creating water banks where water rights can be stored without being subjected to abandonment. Water banks are a great concept, but for now an underused concept.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM

802 posts, read 984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
If you are talking about domestic wells, that is not true. For irrigation wells, that could be the case. You are correct that the doctrine of prior appropriation sometimes runs contrary to conservation of water when it is use it or lose it. That's why some acequias and ditches are creating water banks where water rights can be stored without being subjected to abandonment. Water banks are a great concept, but for now an underused concept.
Apparently no longer an underused concept that is overdue for counter-critiques.
Google for many water bank supporting links, including New Mexico banking.
Now to find some arguments against it.
Probably best to cut this out into a new thread somehow.

City of Santa Fe Water Bank. Ordinance 2009-038
Santa Fe, NM - Official Website - City of Santa Fe Water Bank

Here's an introductory article to water banking. Publication No. 6 of Western Resource Issues Education series at the University of Nevada Reno Cooperative Extension. Pub No. 7 promises "...common concerns about water banking." I'll try to find it.
http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications...her/fs9809.pdf

Here's No. 7
http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications...her/fs9810.pdf

Here's No. 5 that introduced the subject of water scarcity in the West.
http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications...her/fs9808.pdf

Now back to the more fascinating topic of acequias....

Here's a working link to read the 1997 article "An Irrigation Ditch Runs Through It",
published by Sunset, written by Peter Fish.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/An+irr...it.-a020158913

Last edited by highplainsrus; 04-11-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM

Ditmer, Joanne. "Ditmer: Preserve Colorado's acequias". Denver Post 4/12/2013.
Ditmer: Preserve Colorado's acequias - The Denver Post

Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Acequia Governance Handbook. New Mexico Acequia Association.
http://www.lasacequias.org/wp/wp-con...dbook.2010.pdf

Good introduction to NM water rights, ditch rights, water banking and model acequia bylaws.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 04-13-2013 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico