Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Funny you should say that. I ordered a burrito there one time and was aghast to find alfalfa sprouts in it.

What the heck, that just offends me that they would do that to a burrito, but its Durango so I guess thats not much of a surprise.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,955,399 times
How is the food in Pueblo, CO (for chile and that sort of thing)?

(The only place I ate the one time I was there was American-style Chinese, which was actually pretty good for the type of food it was.)

Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 AM

185 posts, read 489,653 times
Cathy, hey need your suggestions on decent places in Alamo/Tully. Are there any you'd recommend? Hit pretty much all in Ruidoso (El Comal about the best since Casa Blanca hit the skids) and have the menus pretty well memorized for the places in 'Zozo, so looking for some new ideas. Got any? Thanks (or as we say here in China, Xie Xie)

Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,920,108 times
To answer your question: Chama.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
Cathy, hey need your suggestions on decent places in Alamo/Tully. Are there any you'd recommend? Hit pretty much all in Ruidoso (El Comal about the best since Casa Blanca hit the skids) and have the menus pretty well memorized for the places in 'Zozo, so looking for some new ideas. Got any? Thanks (or as we say here in China, Xie Xie)
Casa Blanca closed?!? Well, DANG.

The only place I can recommend around here is Casa de Suenos in Tulie.

Margo's is OK, but nothing to write home about.

Alamo Grill started out good, but it certainly has gone downhill since then.

The chains (Applebee's and Chili's) aren't bad, but they're just like all of the rest of them.

Every Chinese place I've tried sucks....

So does every pizza place....

Can you tell I've come to hate most Alamogordo restaurants..?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:36 PM

185 posts, read 489,653 times
Default Casa Blanca

Hi Cathy,

No, sorry, CB isn't closed, but they have absolutely gone way down in quality, IMO. They did open an outdoor seating area which is nice, but the food has really gotten, well, yuk! The refries taste like something out of a can, meat is just ground-up McDonalds with no flavor, and the sopapillas, which used to be huge, are now like little small bisquick jobbies. We went a couple time this summer, second time thinking it was maybe just an off night, but sure enough. Still super busy there, but too bad it's not like it was.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions! Sorry Alamo doesn't have much to offer, that's a shame.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times
what town are you referring to?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
Hi Cathy,

No, sorry, CB isn't closed, but they have absolutely gone way down in quality, IMO. They did open an outdoor seating area which is nice, but the food has really gotten, well, yuk! The refries taste like something out of a can, meat is just ground-up McDonalds with no flavor, and the sopapillas, which used to be huge, are now like little small bisquick jobbies. We went a couple time this summer, second time thinking it was maybe just an off night, but sure enough. Still super busy there, but too bad it's not like it was.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions! Sorry Alamo doesn't have much to offer, that's a shame.
Well, that's also a shame about Casa Blanca...it's supposed to be one of the better places in the area. I'll hit Disco Taco one of these days, too.

Jane (Chilegal) might have some suggestions for restaurants here.

It's very strange that a single town has such generally mediocre restaurants--all mostly bland. You might check out Memories for a more upscale place, but I haven't eaten there.

I forgot about Pepper's Grill on north White Sands. The breakfasts are pretty good, and the Chicken Cordon Bleu I had for dinner was good. Might check them out.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:22 PM

9,384 posts, read 20,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
To answer your question: Chama.
I would argue that this cuisine and culture encroaches into southern Colorado, as far north as Alamosa, near the headwaters of the Upper Rio Grande. I've been in Alamosa, Antonito, etc, and these places are not unlike Tierra Amarilla, Dulce, Chama, etc, except that Alamosa is much more populated.

If you look at the demographics of places such as Conejos County Colorado, they are almost identical to Rio Arriba County, in NM. The Spanish settlements didn't terminate at the 37th parallel, but rather, beyond the headwaters of the Rio Grande.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,764,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm thinking it's because the area wasn't settled much until the railroad got there in the 1880s, bringing mainly mid-westerners, and the local Indian population was mostly Utes, a tribe of non-Southwestern origin. Apparently the stockmen driving their cattle South of the border didn't like the food enough to bring it back North. I'm curious if they would have encountered it in places like Farmington or Aztec.
I did not know that. Where were they from originally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico