Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:59 AM

462 posts, read 1,008,842 times

Advertisements

We would like to hear from other baby boomers who live in the above places as to their living experiences as well as what they like about Ruidoso, Las Cruces or Rio Rancho or any other place in NM. We will be retiring in two years (possibly less). We have no children. We are both originally from East Texas/Houston but have lived all over (military) enjoying Colorado, Arizona, Alaska. We are both gregarious, outgoing types and enjoy friendships. We have a labrador and love animals. We're firmly planted in the middle class-$70000. Places we like to go for weekends are Bisbee, AZ; Las Vegas, NV (friends); and Santa Fe. We'd love to hear --- if you live in a place that you absolutely love, tell us about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
We would like to hear from other baby boomers who live in the above places as to their living experiences as well as what they like about Ruidoso, Las Cruces or Rio Rancho or any other place in NM. We will be retiring in two years (possibly less). We have no children. We are both originally from East Texas/Houston but have lived all over (military) enjoying Colorado, Arizona, Alaska. We are both gregarious, outgoing types and enjoy friendships. We have a labrador and love animals. We're firmly planted in the middle class-$70000. Places we like to go for weekends are Bisbee, AZ; Las Vegas, NV (friends); and Santa Fe. We'd love to hear --- if you live in a place that you absolutely love, tell us about it.
Any of the three would work for retirement depending on what you are really looking for in a city...Las Cruces offers good shopping, nice weather and activities at the university. It is grwoing fast and property values are going up... Ruidoso is one of the prettiest places you can find with a wonderful 4 seasons atmosphere. If we were still living in NM and wanted a place to retire it would be Ruidoso for sure, but it is smaller and there isn't a lot to do: RR is bustling and very busy. It is closer to the main east/west interstate so would be great for visiting friends but it is very busy. If this is what you want, give it a try. I would start by visiting all three areas for a few days and get a feel for them...What is right for one isn't always right for another.

Nita

Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM

185 posts, read 488,567 times
Default Lots of interesting stories here!

Quote:
Northanna, here is a thread you might want to check out:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...our-story.html

There are so many interesting people here you can't help but love the area once you get into it. Happy hunting!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I enjoy Ruidoso because it's a beautiful place but there is not really anything to do all the time but since you're active and like to do eventful activities, Rio Rancho would be your place. We need to check out the area ourselves when the weather gets warmer.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 AM

Default more information

I'm in the info gathering stage of planning retirement. Husband ret'd army & active civil service. We live in far eastern NM. Not close to siblings but have close friends in NM, NV, TX. Community will be imp for us. Once thought we'd probably retire in Sierra Vista AZ as we lived there once and loved it ~ the people we met there and beauty of area. We have and always have had a labrador; love animals. We've lived in Woodland Park, CO (gorgeous), Chipita Park, CO (gorgeous) but we are more int'd at this point in NM with possible consideration of Henderson NV or Sierra Vista AZ). I'm in school at 60 yo to be an RN (one never knows about the economy). We are liberal leaning but find sharing this info not necessary in social gatherings.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 AM

thanks to hogfarmer and song in the wind for their comments! We have a friend in Alto (who I graduated high school with in 67 in OK) with whom we went to their Christmas party and then got to meet up with before our trip to Las Cruces to see friends who had just moved down there. Love the new tea and book shop I discovered in Ruidoso while we were there over a week of Christmas.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
living experiences as well as what they like about Ruidoso, Las Cruces or Rio Rancho or any other place in NM.
Been here in Rio Rancho 11 years. We have liked it. We have one child and several grand kids about 5 miles away.

I'm always looking at other areas... But I have been doing that for 40+ years...

You mentioned Sierra Vista, AZ. I had some short periods in the area. Ironically at least three good friends from that area moved to this area ABQ, Rio Rancho, Las Cruces...

Rich

Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Been here in Rio Rancho 11 years. We have liked it. You mentioned Sierra Vista, AZ. I had some short periods in the area. Ironically at least three good friends from that area moved to this area ABQ, Rio Rancho, Las Cruces..
Rich
Hi Rich and others === husband was active duty at Sierra Vista in the early 90s; enjoyed good friendships there at that time very much. Our friends did move on to Sarasota, FL and Plano, TX as we were all couples with husbands active duty at the time. Thought the land was gorgeous there. I have no idea if SV has changed.... but I'm feeling similar feelings about NM. I'm very curious about Rio Rancho. How does it feel to live there? Big city living? sense of community? Do you love it? If so, what do you like about Rio Rancho? What do you dislike?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I enjoy Ruidoso because it's a beautiful place but there is not really anything to do all the time but since you're active and like to do eventful activities, Rio Rancho would be your place. We need to check out the area ourselves when the weather gets warmer.
Remember, wanting a lot to do and being active at one age can be very different than being active at another. If you are referring to things like night life you are right about Ruidoso, but there are lots of outdoor activities, it isn't that far from other places and though quiet, it does have things to offer. My only problem with RR is how much it seems like just an extention of ABQ. Much depends on what the OP means by active and making good friends. I am sure all three offer the opportunity to become involved as we found NM to be the friendliest place we had ever lived and the move accepting.

Nita

Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Remember, wanting a lot to do and being active at one age can be very different than being active at another. If you are referring to things like night life you are right about Ruidoso, but there are lots of outdoor activities, it isn't that far from other places and though quiet, it does have things to offer. My only problem with RR is how much it seems like just an extention of ABQ. Much depends on what the OP means by active and making good friends. I am sure all three offer the opportunity to become involved as we found NM to be the friendliest place we had ever lived and the move accepting.

Nita
My definition of being active is wanting to do something as in any kind of activity. Inactive would be sitting around watching tv, and not doing much of anything.
I know for a fact that there are more opportunities in Rio Rancho than in Ruidoso. I love Ruidoso but the options are not there like they are in the Albq. area. Active is active, no matter what age.
Either place would be nice to live in, just depends on how many options you want or need.
Checking around online, RR seems to be less expensive place to live than Ruidoso.
I'll compare Ruidoso to Woodland Park as far as the scenery and cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico