Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 AM

202 posts, read 834,018 times

Advertisements

Tell me please...how cold does it get? I know that we will expect snow but from what month to what month? Does it ever get warm there? Like for planting and hiking, horseback riding, fishing?
Are there any towns that sell food and cloths near by?
Any employment nearby? We both work in a hospital.
One last question for you fine folks....how are the property taxes?
Thanks for any reply
Thank you very much!!

Oh also, it it a very safe place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 09:47 AM

215 posts, read 840,137 times
Did you see this thread from a few days ago?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...no-valley.html

I've never been there, so I would only be speculating based on my experience at a similar elevation. You might get better info here:

http://www.angelfirenm.com/

AF is a resort area with very little else. I live in a similar setting in southern NM (near Cloudcroft) at even higher elevation. The nearest hospital to me is 30-40 minutes away (not sure about Angel Fire). The roads can be dangerous in winter. Temps range from below zero to above 40 or even 50 in winter. Summer generally tops out around 80 when the monsoons aren't dumping buckets of rain on us.

In places like these, it's best to be retired or otherwise self-sustaining. You also need to have some tolerance for weather-related inconveniences. I live on an unplowed road, so I keep the fridge full in case of a snow-in. It's all worth it to live among such beauty, but don't expect a life like you'd have in ABQ, Santa Fe, or even Taos. We're talking bare essentials: PO, bank, mini mart, gas station, an eatery or two, and of course real estate offices and tourist shops.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 AM

215 posts, read 840,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
how are the property taxes?

Not sure about taxes in AF, but they are quite low where I am. The thing about AF is that there are some relatively expensive properties there (by NM standards), so I would guess that taxes would be proportionally higher. Just ask a real estate agent. As for crime, I doubt most bad guys would want to bother getting there. Your greatest dangers would likely be weather, roads, wildlife, and maybe tourists.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Angel Fire, just about 20-odd miles from Taos, has similar weather--cold in winter, mild sunny days in summer. Gardening, is possible; hiking is abundant; horseback riding available and some fishing.

Angel Fire itself has some shops, not many, and a grocery store on the main road.

I don't believe the town has a hospital, but I could be mistaken. In Taos we have a rather good hospital but frankly I've never seen an advert or job posting. People generally find it difficult to find work in this region, and when they do, they hold on until they leave or retire.

Property taxes are probably not exhorbitant; they aren't in Taos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
Tell me please...how cold does it get? I know that we will expect snow but from what month to what month? Does it ever get warm there? Like for planting and hiking, horseback riding, fishing?
Are there any towns that sell food and cloths near by?
Any employment nearby? We both work in a hospital.
One last question for you fine folks....how are the property taxes?
Thanks for any reply
Thank you very much!!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:47 PM

202 posts, read 834,018 times
Thank you all so much for the wonderful replys!!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:52 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,279,548 times
The Moreno Valley (where Angel Fire is located) is the singularly most beautiful place I've seen in the state. I've been to all 32 counties and driven on most state roads as part of past jobs. If I were coming west in a covered wagon (and I use this metaphor all the time) and saw that valley I would be unable to go any further. It's awe inspiring.

There's great fishing in Eagle Nest lake, skiing o'plenty with a resort right there and Taos not far. Hiking and all outdoor activities are readily available.

The winters though...the posters above were correct. It gets awful cold and can snow a lot. You will be trapped at home on occasion and major services are far away.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,273 times
Angel Fire and Moreno Valley is beautiful! I agree too, it is just too cold to live year round unless you are very ruddy. I think though would make a great summer home type of place.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:20 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,507 times
I have known several people who loved snow and skiing who vacationed in Angel Fire and thought that was their dream spot. After relocating there they ended up saying they never wanted to see snow again and moved on to a warmer climate and will not go back even to visit.
Too bad they didn't just continue to vacation there instead of jumping in like they did. Maybe we'd see them here every year.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 12,542 times
Default Cell coverage Angel Fire

This occurred last week in Angel Fire. Call came in on Sprint. The call was lost literally in the midst of an emergency on caller's end in DC. Several fam members had phones...mostly Verizon, again no service! To hear my friend relay the story was very scary and frustrating. I did a quick search on dead cell areas and found that Tracphone prepaid phone worked consistently in Angel Fire in January of this year. Any thoughts about best cell coverage to use in case of emergency?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 AM

27 posts, read 121,740 times
Just visited the area a few weeks ago. I have cingular. I didn't always have service while driving through the mountains, but most of the time and anywhere near the towns--Angel Fire, Eagle's Nest, Red River--it worked fine. The service was through a "partner" network. Can't remember which one though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico