Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
So after reading this and other similar threads should I change my mind about moving to ABQ and look for a safer place? Safety is an important issue to me (I wouldn't want to shoot an innocent person by mistake).
Your gonna get like 20 different responses to this question. Listen.... if you shoot someone climbing through your window in your home, I highly doubt you would be shooting an innocent person. Maybe it's just me, but I'm of the thinking that anything can happen anywhere at anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Norm, Norm, Norm......

You're looking through the wrong end of the telescope...

If they are all guilty, then there is no reason to worry about hitting innocent bystanders...

Kmart sells ammo at a good discount..
Hey Mike,

How long do I have to live in N.M. before I'm able to purchase a gun. I've got my eyes on a glock.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:05 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
So after reading this and other similar threads should I change my mind about moving to ABQ and look for a safer place? Safety is an important issue to me (I wouldn't want to shoot an innocent person by mistake).
Norm,

Where abouts from New York are you from? If you come from a wealthy suburb around NYC (the island or Westchester) then you are in for quite a change, when it comes to crime, the likelihood of where a crime might be committed, what neighborhood etc. In fact, even if you are from one of the upstate areas around big cities, such as Amherst (Buffalo), Auburn (Syracuse) or Clifton Park (Albany) you are going to be in for a similar shock.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
A roofer we had do some repairs recently found a bullet on the roof. He said it's very common, he sees it all the time all over town. We have a lot of celebratory shooting, after midnight on New Year's Eve this year it sounded like the War of 1812 raging outside for about a half hour.

A coworker just had three bikes and some tools stolen from her shed the other night near Old Town.

The bigger question is, instead of asking why not to move here, why not ask why you should move here? I think that's the more interesting question, Norm. You're only looking at the negatives. You could research where is the safest place to live, but you might be bored out of your skull there.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Hey Mike,

How long do I have to live in N.M. before I'm able to purchase a gun. I've got my eyes on a glock.
I guess as fast as you can get local ID so you can prove that you have a legal right
to own it (no registration required in NM, but I don't own a gun so I'm not sure...)

Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but if you are incapable of safely handling a firearm, and you plan on having one, and you fear you might shoot an innocent person, then perhaps you should consider not moving to Albuquerque.

I am a serious firearms owner...

Rich

Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,129 times
mike,

I grew up in the Hunts Point section of the South East Bronx (in other words a ghetto). But I'm too old to be a gangbanger anymore.

Folks I was just kidding about shooting an innocent bystander, with my hand tremors about the only person that would get shot is me.

aries,

I'm not looking at negatives. Everything about ABQ sounds very positive to me, the only negative is all the talk about crime. Four years ago when I told friends who live in the southwest that I was thinking about moving to the ABQ area the first thing they said was it has a lot of crime (that includes a biker friend from TX). Another friend of mine from Lubbock also said there was a lot of crime there, so you can see my concern about the subject. Quite honestly I haven't found another place in the country that comes close to my priority list except for ABQ. It really bothers me that crime is a problem. I grew up in a high crime area and I don't want to live out the rest of my life in one.

ABQ is #1 on my list and there isn't a #2 and believe me I've spent about 4 years researching the country for the place that comes closest to what I want.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:44 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Folks I was just kidding about shooting an innocent bystander, with my hand tremors about the only person that would get shot is me.
Norm, Albuquerque is not the safest nor the most dangerous city in the US. You can look at the statistics and find the ones that suit you. It won't change anything.

A lot depends on you. Do you deal in drugs? Do you walk down dark alleys? Do you stare at people that look like gang members? Those actions would probably increase your chance of being a victim of a crime.

Do you walk around in a daze? Do you look like a target? Those actions would probably increase your chance of being a victim of a crime.

I walk my dogs a lot, when walking in town I am amazed how many people have no clue of their surrounding. They are many times shocked when I have to walk around them because they stopped to do something while on a cell phone, or whatever.

About 5 years ago I saw a woman hit by a car while walking in an intersection while talking on a cell phone.

I live in Rio Rancho. We moved here 11 years ago because we wanted to. We had been to the area in the past.

Since I don't know you and how inattentive you might be, I don't know what else to tell you. But these forums are full of "Is the crime really bad in xyz?). Yes we have drugs, gangs, thieves and stupid people. What else can I say?

Rich

Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
the other day I was shopping at Costco and a lady jumped out of a SUV and tried snatching a purse from this other lady, they fought it out and the lady left empty handed, couple weeks ago, my good friend who works at Wal-Mart told me that some guys snatched a purse from this lady in the parking lot and the lady was dragged by the car.

NM is a rural state, we really dont have all that many towns and the ones we do have almost all have above average crime rates, in other states there are so many other communities with virtually no crime at all and thousands of towns. So while some states may have some crime ridden cities, they also have many many safer areas and that offsets the stats.

ABQ is in the top 10 in auto thefts
NM ranks #2 in rapes
NM ranks #4 in murder
NM ranks #5 in assaults
NM ranks #9 in burglaries

another thing about NM is that the justice system is so weak here, many of the trouble makers are repeat offenders here, they get in trouble and get a slap on the wrist. Last night on the news they did a story about thieves, they mentioned that one of the guys had been arrested over 20 times in Bernalillo county alone, and the thieve looked to be in his late 20's, how can someone be arrested 20 times and still be on the street commiting crimes, its the same with DWI's here, its not uncommon for some poeple to have 10 or more DWI arrests.

example, in Clovis some teens were arrested for criminal damage the other day, they vandalized cars in Clovis and just over the border in TX, in Clovis they face some misdemeanors and in TX they are giving them felonies. Thats why TX has that slogan "DONT MESS WITH TEXAS"

my dad has lived in his new house in Portales for only 3 years now and already has been broken into twice.

Last edited by desert sun; 01-21-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 PM

322 posts, read 546,977 times
Rich I am really beginning to enjoy your posts..you would fit in well Back East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico