Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,240,005 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, tapping left foot on the floor, right foot isn't working that well,

mexican day, white day, polish day, german day, black day, gay day, straight day, disabled day, japanese day, italian day, chinese day, philipino day,

just think, if the USA had all of these as Federal Holidays, our politicians wouldn't get anything done, and neither would we.

I can't see this person's point of view is valid... white history day....
allright, let's play devil's advocate here and say we did, would we not be overlooking the fact about whites enslaving blacks? That's not really something to be proud of, I don't believe.

America is supposed to be, and is a melting pot with contributions from all walks of life, not just white folk.

Let the guy celebrate it on his own if he wishes, as long as it doesn't involve starting trouble.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 PM

4,891 posts, read 4,839,146 times
If we continue to separate out specific groups and celebrate those groups separately, then we risk alienating other groups that are not so celebrated. The answer isn't to celebrate every conceivable group, the answer is for all of us to realize that we're all together on this ship.

BTW, did I miss Polish-American day?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 PM

107 posts, read 344,920 times
What's shocking is some here want to belittle this guy for throwing out his opinion. What did he say that was so derogatory? Did he slam any one culture, color, or sexual preference?

The "slave" remark was way uneducated. If you researched it, blacks caught and sold other blacks into slavery as well...kinda where the the African trade started from. Tribal rivalry and an easy, profitable way to claim their land & possessions. Don't get me wrong slavery was wrong & as a people it's unacceptable and has been for over a hundred years. Trying to be politically correct now is crazy. We did elect our first black President. We as a human race, at least in this country, have moved on.

I'm not for a "White" month or day. I'm not going to be against it as well. I do think the honoring this way must stop. For future designated days, lets start to lump them into one day. Human Race Day. Let's honor & share with our neighbors. Let's applaud how far we've come in achieving our goals, lifting others in need, responding to natural disasters no matter where they on the globe. Let's honor one another just because we get up and move forward in everyday, producing great results in our families, communities, states, and for our country as a whole. Not because of our skin color or families birth countries heritage.

As for the other days that are on the calendar I'm happy to celebrate because they were important steps in uniting us as a country...the greatest country. The other side of the coin though is only going to breed bitter and animosity between others in a needless way. It's not necessarily bridging the gap, it appears by this guys demands to be a shim in keeping us apart.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,479,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The man makes a valid point. Why do we single ANY race out for a "History Month?" Doing so only creates more divisiveness, is what I think he is driving at. But there will always be people who feel a need to celebrate their ancestry - be it on St. Pats day or on Juneteenth.

And to stretch a point: Father and Mother's Day, but why no Grandparent Day or Aunt and Uncle day, or for that matter, Kid's Day?

Because every day is Kid's Day!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,045,820 times
I think it should at least be considered, afterall we do have the Hispanic/Black months, and it does alienate the races.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjett View Post
What's shocking is some here want to belittle this guy for throwing out his opinion. What did he say that was so derogatory? Did he slam any one culture, color, or sexual preference?

The "slave" remark was way uneducated. If you researched it, blacks caught and sold other blacks into slavery as well...kinda where the the African trade started from. Tribal rivalry and an easy, profitable way to claim their land & possessions. Don't get me wrong slavery was wrong & as a people it's unacceptable and has been for over a hundred years. Trying to be politically correct now is crazy. We did elect our first black President. We as a human race, at least in this country, have moved on.

I'm not for a "White" month or day. I'm not going to be against it as well. I do think the honoring this way must stop. For future designated days, lets start to lump them into one day. Human Race Day. Let's honor & share with our neighbors. Let's applaud how far we've come in achieving our goals, lifting others in need, responding to natural disasters no matter where they on the globe. Let's honor one another just because we get up and move forward in everyday, producing great results in our families, communities, states, and for our country as a whole. Not because of our skin color or families birth countries heritage.

As for the other days that are on the calendar I'm happy to celebrate because they were important steps in uniting us as a country...the greatest country. The other side of the coin though is only going to breed bitter and animosity between others in a needless way. It's not necessarily bridging the gap, it appears by this guys demands to be a shim in keeping us apart.
What belittlement are you speaking of?
I have not seen it. Reading between some lines Mr. Realtor? Nice long drivel though.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I think it should at least be considered, afterall we do have the Hispanic/Black months, and it does alienate the races.
Yeah, as long as we have all asian day and a few others.....

Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,226,142 times
The Whites/Anglos have written most of the history books and have been the dominant race for centuries. Seems like that would be enough.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,706,808 times
Who cares? If he wants to celebrate a white history month, or a billygoat appreciation day, or whatever, have at it. I don't care.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Yeah, as long as we have all asian day and a few others.....

true, either give every race their month or do away with em all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: