Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:08 PM

26 posts, read 90,231 times

Advertisements

thanks for all the replys!
ive been always kinda wondering about what influences Utah the most, does anyone have any insight? thanks for answering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,147 times
Default Anglo Culture in New Mexico

I hear always heard that New Mexico is Hispanic/Mexican Culture and Native Culture. The question I want to ask do New Mexico has Anglo Culture. Then which Anglo Culture Northern( New England) or Southern( Southern USA).
I will like to know

thanks

Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,204,004 times
It has a culture all on its own, don't listen to what others tell you about it.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:58 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,309,411 times
I'd say NM has a Western Anglo culture.

A mix of practical cowboy, east-west coast tree hugger and regular joes.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
great post!

whats crazy is that most of Eastern NM is more like Texas than El Paso is, El Paso is more like New Mexico than Eastern NM is. The thing about NM is that on all different sides of the state,there are different influences. I dont see any Northern influence here though.

Northern NM is mainly Spanish and Native American influenced

Southern NM is mainly Mexican influence

Eastern NM is mainly Texan influenced and WAS pretty much completely all white, but has gained a good sized Mexican population just like the TX panhandle. Interesting bit of info from my home town-
Baptismal records show only 36 babies were born to Spanish parents in Roosevelt County between 1915 and 1929. Only one family of Hispanics attended Portales public schools in 1929.
Today, about 40 percent of Portales’ population is Hispanic.

Other than TX influence, I would say that NM is pretty unique in its own way, now I cant really speak for the other Western states.

I was at Burger King today and was looking at a hotel coupon book for the South Central region, it included NM,TX,LA,AR,OK, and the very most Southern parts of CO,KS, and MO. I thought that was interesting.
Desert sun: Can you elaborate more on Anglo Culture in New Mexico. Because I often heard about Native Culture and Hispanic Culture not Anglo ones. In addition, in Eastern part of United States I always read about settler Colonies (Anglo) but int he Southwest and New Mexico we don't heard much

Old 12-26-2011, 08:45 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,636,321 times
The northeast was making history before the west was even settled. I think ultimately the west was influenced by the east because didn't the Oregon Trail come from the east? What kind of people traveled that trail? I don't know but I think it had to be people from the east.

Many people in the southeast are descendents of immigrants who entered America from the north.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 23,855,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaboys View Post
Desert sun: Can you elaborate more on Anglo Culture in New Mexico. Because I often heard about Native Culture and Hispanic Culture not Anglo ones. In addition, in Eastern part of United States I always read about settler Colonies (Anglo) but int he Southwest and New Mexico we don't heard much
A way to underscore segments of New Mexican settlement and history is to read into the El Camino Real; the royal road from Mexico City up to Santa Fe where from the 16th to the 19th centuries Spaniards and later Mexicans migrated into New Mexico, many catholic missionaries with conversion of the natives in mind as well as searching for gold, silver, and other minerals.
El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For Anglo settlement, read up on the Santa Fe Trail, after the Mexican-American war Manifest Destiny minded anglos settled into NM for mining exploration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_Trail

Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
There is a pile of debris a block from my house that used to be an old Anglo ranch house, one of the oldest Anglo structures in Albuquerque east of I-25. It used to be called the Gilchrist House. Nobody really cares though. New Mexico isn't big on history unless it is profitable or political(ly correct).

Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,190,705 times
A few historical events of note:

*Archbishop Lamy (a Frenchman) dispatched to create the Archdiocese of Santa Fe (Chronicled in Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather).

*Republic of Texas, Texas Annexation; everything E of the Rio Grande shares a common settlement history with Texas.

*The coming of the railroad and the creation of "New Town" Albuquerque (present-day Downtown). The founding (or at least significant growth) of numerous towns to serve the railroad, including Grants, Gallup, Tucumcari, Raton, and Deming. Las Vegas likewise got a "New Town".

I doubt today you'll find much of a distinction among people of this background and the larger population when it comes to the culture they observe and participate in.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,631,714 times
It's funny, I've always heard about the "three cultures" of New Mexico. Anglo being one of those cultures. So I don't think Anglo culture is ever left out. Black and even Asian cultures are what I hear most often being forgotten in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico