Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 AM

26 posts, read 90,178 times

Advertisements

i dont mean the West Coast but the Rocky Mountain, Intermountain West?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I seem to recall in American history that a lot of confederate soldiers settled westward after the civil war. I think this is most evident in Oklahoma, Kansas, maybe Colorado. So the south did have an impact on the west. I have spent little time out west, but I always felt that the politics and culture of the white intramountain west are very similar to the southern appalachians.

I imagine the midwest did, as well. It seems like the intramountain west has its fair share of Nordic and German names, which are more characteristic of the great lakes region than anywhere else.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
I live in Denver, technically not inter-mountain, but culturally the mountain west for sure.

I'd say that the south has relatively less influence in the mountain west. I'd put the influences in this order: midwest, north, and then south. Actually, you can add a fourth influence: west coast, as many people settling in the mountain west actually first migrated to California (during the gold rushes), and then they or their decedents later moved inland as new later booms drew them inland.

Denver, my home city, was founded during its period as part of Kansas Territory, and boomed as a base camp for mining expeditions in the mountains. I'd guess that the early settlers were largely midwestern/plains, though the mining booms certainly attracted those from all over. In the 19th century Denver surpassed its early rival of Kansas City as the nation's leading "western" city east of San Francisco -- (recall that back then KC was thought of as "western"). Denver's second big boom was mostly agricultural after mining stabilized, and I'd guess most of the migrants of that boom were midwestern as well, remember at that time Denver was called "The Queen City of the Plains". In the 20th century, I think we've probably gained as many migrants heading from the pacific coast as from the Atlantic, so I think culturally Denver today is closer to California than to, say, Kansas City, but I think historically it does have that midwestern influence.

Of course, Colorado may be a bit unusual in that along with Wyoming we're the most accessible part of the intermountain west to the midwest. However, I think that this carries over too to our neighbors.

Utah and Southern Idaho, are slightly different due to their LDS heritage. Recall that the LDS church was founded in upstate New York, and then moved into Illinois before finally ending up in Utah. However, in the end, the LDS also followed the northern route into the west rather than the southern route.

As for southern influences in the mountain west, there are a few exceptions. New Mexico, for instance, is very culturally Texan in the southeastern part of the state (particularly east of the Pecos River), even today. Let's not forget that the southwestern part of Texas (big bend country and El Paso) are also intermountain, and despite the fact that this part of Texas is easily the least southern in character within that state, it still has undeniable southern influence. In times past, southern New Mexico (the Mesilla Valley, for instance) and Southern Arizona were colonized in part by groups of southerners (mainly Texans) after the Gadsden purchase, and in fact the southern parts of New Mexico Territory even had a pro-confederate movement during the civil war. However, southern Arizona (and southern Nevada too) has had such a postwar boom of retirees (mainly midwestern) that likely diluted any lingering southern influence, and what remained has almost certainly disappeared after the latest boom of relocating Calfornians. In addition, although it's not the intermountain west, the central Valley of California has a lingering dust-bowl era southern influence as well, particularly around Bakersfield.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolperson121 View Post
i dont mean the West Coast but the Rocky Mountain, Intermountain West?
The Midwest is part of the North, BTW.

The Northeast ( New England + NY, NJ, PA) + the Midwest = the North.

I'd say that the Midwest influenced the modern West more than any other region. Just think of the migration to CA after WWII, for one example..

Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
The Midwest and Northeast influenced the West far more than the South. I think that just by the speech and culture though that, now, it is closer to the Midwest.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Well depending what you consider Texas; Texas influence parts of the West. Specifically Colorado.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
I would say the Midwest is the major influence in the inter-mountain west for farming and Silver Mining...

Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
I still can't believe a lawsuit from 2000 and an overturned ruling in 2003 is today's news?

Boy, there is some real "reaching" going on.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:25 PM

77 posts, read 228,266 times
It's perhaps the cluster**** region, all the people who wanted something more/better moved west; 1800s Gold, Cheap Land, Scenery, Adventure, Patriotism, Buissiness, law and all those people had a willingness to start anew
1900s: middle class life, scnery, nature, Stardom/fame/art, Free spiritness, seclusion (works both ways), climate, jobs, start a new life

Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I live in Denver, technically not inter-mountain, but culturally the mountain west for sure.

I'd say that the south has relatively less influence in the mountain west. I'd put the influences in this order: midwest, north, and then south. Actually, you can add a fourth influence: west coast, as many people settling in the mountain west actually first migrated to California (during the gold rushes), and then they or their decedents later moved inland as new later booms drew them inland.

Denver, my home city, was founded during its period as part of Kansas Territory, and boomed as a base camp for mining expeditions in the mountains. I'd guess that the early settlers were largely midwestern/plains, though the mining booms certainly attracted those from all over. In the 19th century Denver surpassed its early rival of Kansas City as the nation's leading "western" city east of San Francisco -- (recall that back then KC was thought of as "western"). Denver's second big boom was mostly agricultural after mining stabilized, and I'd guess most of the migrants of that boom were midwestern as well, remember at that time Denver was called "The Queen City of the Plains". In the 20th century, I think we've probably gained as many migrants heading from the pacific coast as from the Atlantic, so I think culturally Denver today is closer to California than to, say, Kansas City, but I think historically it does have that midwestern influence.

Of course, Colorado may be a bit unusual in that along with Wyoming we're the most accessible part of the intermountain west to the midwest. However, I think that this carries over too to our neighbors.

Utah and Southern Idaho, are slightly different due to their LDS heritage. Recall that the LDS church was founded in upstate New York, and then moved into Illinois before finally ending up in Utah. However, in the end, the LDS also followed the northern route into the west rather than the southern route.

As for southern influences in the mountain west, there are a few exceptions. New Mexico, for instance, is very culturally Texan in the southeastern part of the state (particularly east of the Pecos River), even today. Let's not forget that the southwestern part of Texas (big bend country and El Paso) are also intermountain, and despite the fact that this part of Texas is easily the least southern in character within that state, it still has undeniable southern influence. In times past, southern New Mexico (the Mesilla Valley, for instance) and Southern Arizona were colonized in part by groups of southerners (mainly Texans) after the Gadsden purchase, and in fact the southern parts of New Mexico Territory even had a pro-confederate movement during the civil war. However, southern Arizona (and southern Nevada too) has had such a postwar boom of retirees (mainly midwestern) that likely diluted any lingering southern influence, and what remained has almost certainly disappeared after the latest boom of relocating Calfornians. In addition, although it's not the intermountain west, the central Valley of California has a lingering dust-bowl era southern influence as well, particularly around Bakersfield.
great post!

whats crazy is that most of Eastern NM is more like Texas than El Paso is, El Paso is more like New Mexico than Eastern NM is. The thing about NM is that on all different sides of the state,there are different influences. I dont see any Northern influence here though.

Northern NM is mainly Spanish and Native American influenced

Southern NM is mainly Mexican influence

Eastern NM is mainly Texan influenced and WAS pretty much completely all white, but has gained a good sized Mexican population just like the TX panhandle. Interesting bit of info from my home town-
Baptismal records show only 36 babies were born to Spanish parents in Roosevelt County between 1915 and 1929. Only one family of Hispanics attended Portales public schools in 1929.
Today, about 40 percent of Portales’ population is Hispanic.

Other than TX influence, I would say that NM is pretty unique in its own way, now I cant really speak for the other Western states.

I was at Burger King today and was looking at a hotel coupon book for the South Central region, it included NM,TX,LA,AR,OK, and the very most Southern parts of CO,KS, and MO. I thought that was interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico