Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:29 PM

11 posts, read 66,388 times

Advertisements

Well... We're here! The wind almost shoved me back into the Uhaul, but we are finally here.

The Comfort Inn is nice... that's about the only opinion I have so far. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 AM

312 posts, read 1,018,062 times
Hey Clovisbound... (Which is now funny because you are here now)

Look around and pick a local place (as in not Applebees etc) And My hubby and I will take you out to dinner and Welcome you to CLOVIS!!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,513 times
What I can say about Clovis is that people are friendly here. It is kind of a conservative enclave here but you find good people. I take the tack of making lemonade out of lemons. I'm in my early 60s and came here from Anchorage and have lived many places (military background). For the time being, it works okay for us. It is not a place I would choose to retire to. There is a lack of somethings that I got used to in other places that I want again; and suffice to say, it's not here. But it's certainly not the worst place I've ever lived. I just don't want to retire here. Once my goal is accomplished here than we will leave. But I've enjoyed a good part of the 5 years I have lived here.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:20 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,513 times
<<When was the last time that you heard.. HEARD... a cop siren go off? I do not mean SEEN it... I mean hear it????? I am not talking about an ambulance... I have been here for over 1.5 years and I have never heard a cop siren go off... why?? Is there a lot of crime? I see cops rolling around with thier lights on.. but NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER a siren.... Odd.. just fricken ODD.>>>

You ought to tell that to my dog who at least (at the very least) howls every time he hears a siren and there's at least one a week in the Clovis 21st St area
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,882 times
Default Is it too late to chime in?

I’m moving to Cannon/Clovis in the Fall. I have researched and actually found a TON to get into, which surprised me after hearing all the negativity that hits you in the face day one (a lot was thanks to this thread!). Anyone have any updates on “must see/do” things in the area?

My other half and I love eating at new original places, so we will definitely be trying a few Thai restaurants I found. And I do barrel racing on the weekend with the horses, which I heard this is a hotspot for. Also the hiking, camping, skiing, outdoor activities are a must. And BIG movie lovers.

The only think I haven’t found are new ways to socialize and band together to make new friends. Workout groups? Hobbyists? I know I will need a few girl’s nights to stay sane!

Thanks everyone! I hope you were able to settle in!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
AirPony,

I am not from New Mexico originally but I did spend four years at Cannon AFB many years ago (Aircraft Crew Chief - 1968 to 1972). I enjoyed the High Plains so much that, after the service, I attended ENMU. A biological career took me a long way from the Texas/New Mexico High Plains for many years. However, I came back in retirement and plan to stay this time.

One should remember that these forums are called City-Data (CD) and the handful of large towns in eastern New Mexico do not offer anything of interest to the urbanites that CD normally attracts to its forums. Some of the best people in the world live on the High Plains and, after a significant amount of travel and living away from it these past few years, I'm fairly certain they probably always have.

Happiness is a state of mind and you seem to possess a positive attitude. I just wanted to say best of luck moving to the Clovis - Cannon area. It's not nearly so bad as painted by many CD'ers. East Texans tend to do the same to the Texas High Plains. I just count it as luck they don't want to be my neighbors.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 PM

42 posts, read 55,979 times
Yeah I can vouch for Portales/Clovis people being veeeerry friendly. At first, it was almost scary lol.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,882 times
Thanks ya'll

I think we are both lucky we don't have that "I need a big shopping weekend getaway" state of mind or "I can't believe we can't go watch big Broadway shows or concerts!"... or my favorite.."Let's go to a bar and drink ourselves into oblivion"

Neither of us are big city dwellers or drinkers. So staying in for a movie or planning a big outdoor weekend adventure is all we are looking for.

MUST SEE hotspots or ESPECIALLY horse related events or locations/stables!

And I know this is an even bigger long shot, but model related events. I do promotional events, both as a model and coordinator. I am hoping to start fresh once I'm on the west side of the US

Looking forward mostly to meeting new neighbors and making friends!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,108,600 times
If you're into horse related activities, then there are plenty of things to do locally in that regard.
Also, if you've got children, I hear from people I know that do say schools aren't so bad either.
In all honesty, very family-oriented community.

While the city itself isn't bad, the only thing that irks me is that most places close up by around 9p-10p.
That and many of the good outdoor activities seem to require taking a voyage out of town(kind of dismal when your off-day time gets eaten up by driving distances).

That said, if you're here for work like me, be prepared to tack an additional day or two to your "weekend" if you want to venture out for hiking, mountain biking, or something like that.

Again, nice town, but after living here for nearly two years, my night-owl habits and "missing having mountains nearby" kind of put the drag on me.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
I'm'a name my first son Clovis! All his friends'll be like, "Whassup, Clovis!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico