Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:15 PM

9 posts, read 56,051 times

Advertisements

I appreciate your sarcasm cosmicrowbar. If you had to deal with the ones I have to deal with in Texas you would understand. You have to be referring to NM BP and obviously you haven't been to Texas, otherwise your words of wit would have been a little more friendlier. I guess every forum have people like you SM-A! I have never made it through a BP check point under 20 minutes. Thanks Poncho_NM, for your answer and have the answers I sought after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 07:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasg2009 View Post
You have to be referring to NM BP and obviously you haven't been to Texas...
The Border Patrol is NOT a state agency - it's Federal.

The only reason I can think of for longer waits in Texas would have to be due to population/traffic density if the check point is in the Rio Grande Valley area of Texas. Otherwise, in the west Texas, NM and AZ areas the only wait time would be if a person happens to be behind a semi truck that falls under suspicion. They usually pull them over and out of the line if that is the case, but sometimes they spend more time with the driver than they do with passenger vehicles. If they are using a dog to sniff all vehicles, as they sometimes do, the delay can be a bit longer. But I've never once had to wait longer than about ten minutes, and most of the time less than five. And it's not as if there is a check point every few miles. They are few and far between.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
We go to Las Cruces often and have never spent more than a few minutes waiting in line. I don't mind as they are doing it for OUR safety!

Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 AM

391 posts, read 906,681 times
Quote:
I appreciate your sarcasm cosmicrowbar. If you had to deal with the ones I have to deal with in Texas you would understand. You have to be referring to NM BP and obviously you haven't been to Texas, otherwise your words of wit would have been a little more friendlier. I guess every forum have people like you SM-A! I have never made it through a BP check point under 20 minutes. Thanks Poncho_NM, for your answer and have the answers I sought after.
Never less than 20 minutes?!? Maybe the dogs are intrigued by the "air freshener" in your car.....

Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Thankfully I do not indulge in illegal drugs. Mine are made by local brewers or in Tennessee. I never drive after indulging. That is just too darn dangerous.

I expect we will meet some BP agents during our upcoming vacation. I only hope the people that rented the car before us didn't smoke the wonder weed.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
You asked about NM border patrol check points. Not sure why you keep bringing Texas into this, other than you hate their checkpoints.

Occasionally there may be a portable checkpoint set up on I25 north of Hatch, but one never knows when it will be there.

I went through a checkpoint in AZ and it only took a couple of minutes of my trip. If you're in a big hurry, leave earlier.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM

307 posts, read 685,041 times
They set up on rt 9 outside of Columbus, NM.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
The first time I ran into one was on NM 26, about ten miles north of Deming. It was at night in early November as I was going to stay the night in Deming, coming in from Denver. This was in 1992.

I've been through the checkpoints on 10 and on 25 lots of times over the years and never have had any problems. I've always been cordial with them, they simply have a job to do.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 PM

9 posts, read 56,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
You asked about NM border patrol check points. Not sure why you keep bringing Texas into this, other than you hate their checkpoints.

Occasionally there may be a portable checkpoint set up on I25 north of Hatch, but one never knows when it will be there.

I went through a checkpoint in AZ and it only took a couple of minutes of my trip. If you're in a big hurry, leave earlier.
The reason I talked about Texas is because I currently live there and being transfered to NM. I also don't use drugs of any kind other than blood pressure meds for those who bring up a drug issue. I do despise the check points because the long lines move so very slow.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Went through a temporary checkpoint yesterday between Deming and Hurley. Took us long enough for the gentleman to ask if we were American citizens and to wish us a good day.

Not sure what the checkpoints are like in Texas, as have no plans to go there. Any checkpoints I have been through there were no long lines. A lot may depend on what time of day you go through them, and where you go through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico