Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM

28 posts, read 98,691 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your inputs guys and sorry for the delay in response, I somehow missed the notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Am not sure you're going to encounter any border patrol checkpoints with any of these plans. Roswell is 3 hours away from the border, and the closest applicable checkpoints I can think of are either south of Alamogordo or north of Las Cruces on I-25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Realize that the checkpoints are only on the northbound lanes of the divided hiways.
For example:

Just west of the entrance to White Sands on the south side (eastbound lane).

30 miles south of Alamogordo on the east side (northbound lane).
So if I go from Santa Fe to White Sands, there will not be any checkpoints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
If heading east on I-10 I believe there is a checkpoint east of El Paso.

The safest route to avoid checkpoints would be Austin - Lubbock - Santa Fe.
Yes, I plan to take Austin - Lubbock - Santa Fe and not I-10. But my query is about going from Santa Fe to White Sands, then to Carlsbad and Roswell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 02:58 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
So if I go from Santa Fe to White Sands, there will not be any checkpoints?

Heads up - there is a checkpoint west of Alamogordo on Highway 70 west towards Las Cruces. It is about 25 miles west of Alamogordo, just before you get to the White Sand National Monument. As I recall they're a friendly bunch of people working that Border Patrol spot.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Heads up - there is a checkpoint west of Alamogordo on Highway 70 west towards Las Cruces.
DO NOT travel via IH-25 from Santa Fe to White Sands or you will have to pass through this checkpoint. In fact Google Maps does not even show a route through Las Cruces and the US-70 checkpoint.

The two routes shown by Google are as shown in the screen capture I've added to the bottom of this post. Either route avoids BP checkpoints.

After White Sands - DO NOT travel via El Paso to Carlsbad because there is a checkpoint between El Paso and Carlsbad. Go to Roswell via US-70 first, then to Carlsbad via Artesia.

Attached Thumbnails
Where Are Border Patrol Check Points In New Mexico-googlemap.jpg  

Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 AM

656 posts, read 812,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCats View Post
LOL Like TKO said, every road out of town. They are not a problem. It's not like crossing the border. They just ask where you are from and wave you on. Oh, and you may be sniffed by a dog. LOL

And if anyone in your car has a pipe with resin in it, or any amount of marijuana, you are in trouble.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:55 AM

28 posts, read 98,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
DO NOT travel via IH-25 from Santa Fe to White Sands or you will have to pass through this checkpoint. In fact Google Maps does not even show a route through Las Cruces and the US-70 checkpoint.

The two routes shown by Google are as shown in the screen capture I've added to the bottom of this post. Either route avoids BP checkpoints.

After White Sands - DO NOT travel via El Paso to Carlsbad because there is a checkpoint between El Paso and Carlsbad. Go to Roswell via US-70 first, then to Carlsbad via Artesia.

Thanks for your inputs. Really helpful!

Old 12-20-2017, 01:40 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
check station east bound 70 right before white sands national monument
check station north bound NM hwy 54 south of Alamogordo and north of Oro Grande
check station east bound Hwy 62 / 182 east of EL Paso before Cornudas
check station east bound I -10 east of EL Paso right before Sierra Blanca , TX
check station north bound I- 25 north of Las Cruces and Radium Springs before the Space port exit
check station north bound I-25 just north of truth or consequences not always open
check station north bound NM 185 between Las Cruces and Hatch, NM
check station west bound I -10 west of Las Cruces west of Corralitos

Old 01-22-2019, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 46,926 times
If I’m going from deming to Albuquerque where should I avoid

Old 01-22-2019, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 46,926 times
If I’m traveling from Deming to Albuquerque I want to avoid the border patrol what are the safest routes

Old 01-23-2019, 06:53 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
There are check stations on every route.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
From Deming, it's not that complicated. Take the road to Hatch, go north on I-25 to Albuquerque. The N/B checkpoint from Las Cruces is south of Hatch.

There are still roving patrols, but Deming is on the "sterile" side of the checkpoint frontier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico