Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 PM

150 posts, read 305,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglenick View Post
I currently live in Florida and I don't particularly love it. I'm hoping to start somewhere new in a few years. I'll be graduating soon enough. Basically I'll be a certified teacher when I'm done. English specifically.

How gay friendly is New Mexico in general? I know it depends on the city but what's the overall vibe? And if you can, give me some specific cities that would be gay friendly.

I'm obviously looking into the education field so how is that over there? Are there jobs for teachers?

At the end of the day, I want a good, safe place to raise a family. Somewhere I can call home. And I'm wondering if New Mexico can be it.

Also, I'm curious as to the cost of living. Obviously as an educator, I'm not making the big bucks. I am a person of humble means and I don't need anything fancy.

So to sum it up, if ANYONE could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone can name a city that sort of fits all the points I hit, I would be very grateful!
My main thing is living somewhere SAFE (With all the crap that's happening in Mexico, I rather not live too close to the border or too close to the crap that's been going on). Next I want somewhere friendly!

Thanks again!
Please be aware that New Mexico is pretty, but over half of the population is living in poverty. There aren't any jobs outside of Albuquerque. If you can't find a job there you are in trouble. You should find a job there first before you relocate. I have known people to move to New Mexico looking for lower cost of living and end up either homeless or unemployed trying to get back to where they relocated from. The salaries are extremely low. That is why the cost of living is low. There are no ghettos in New Mexico, so I am not sure what the other person is talking about. There is poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
Mexico is no where near New Mexico.
Mexico and New Mexico share a border, with three ports of entry....

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-15-2012 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
Please be aware that New Mexico is pretty, but over half of the population is living in poverty. There aren't any jobs outside of Albuquerque. If you can't find a job there you are in trouble. You should find a job there first before you relocate. I have known people to move to New Mexico looking for lower cost of living and end up either homeless or unemployed trying to get back to where they relocated from. The salaries are extremely low. That is why the cost of living is low. There are no ghettos in New Mexico, so I am not sure what the other person is talking about. There is poverty.
You're forgetting the highest per capita income county in the country, los alamos. And depending on your line of work you can find good paying employment in other areas. If you were in the oil or nat gas industries you'd not want to be in Abq.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:24 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
Los Alamos has one of THE highest percentages of PhD's of any small city in the country.
Those men and women aren't working for 'tips' nor minimum wage either.

Steve

Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Los Alamos has one of THE highest percentages of PhD's of any small city in the country.
Those men and women aren't working for 'tips' nor minimum wage either.

Steve
Are you saying that Los Alamos is part of Abq? Or am i correct that there are good paying jobs in LA, which is not part of Abq. When someone specifically mentions 'salaries', they are taking professional positions. I know several people that make very good money in LA that are not Phd's. I also know many that work in SF that make a good living as well as Rio Rancho, Los Lunas, Belen and other areas.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
I did NOT say that Los Alamos was part of Albuquerque.
I DID say that the reason for the very high per capita income in Los Alamos, is because of all the PhD's living there.
Sure you can make a good living in other cities without a PhD (my wife sure does).
But owning a PhD in any of the sciences or engineering fields, generally assures you of a GREAT living.

Steve

Old 07-25-2012, 03:36 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
I think it would be super helpful to have a thread dedicated to Gay Life in all four NM forums NM/ABQ/LC/SFe, since it gets asked so often.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
I think it would be super helpful to have a thread dedicated to Gay Life in all four NM forums NM/ABQ/LC/SFe, since it gets asked so often.
I had briefly contemplated Las Cruces, beofre eventually settling into ABQ as I though it was pretty nice down there. Here's a thread for that area.....

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-c...uthern-nm.html

Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Yes, New Mexico is gay-friendly and doesn't have the regressive antigay marriage laws that our neighbors Texas and Arizona have. But we don't have gay marriage or domestic partnership laws yet.
The overall scene in Santa Fe and Albuquerque is tolerant and accepting. And it is a very attractive but quiet scene where people entertain in homes mostly. There are some ( but few) gay bars and gay restaurants and no real gay neighborhoods as you would find in bigger cities. If you want a bit of buzz in the scene you would have to go elsewhere.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
The New Mexico Gay Rodeo is this weekend (Aug 4 & 5) up in Santa Fe

NMGRA Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico