Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,608,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
When you called me, I would want a lot of money up front, I might have to go to my other job because of priorities.
That makes a lot of sense. The best people will always be busy, and they'd favor working for the contractors who have treated them well. So if you can get these people at all, you'd have to pay more than they are accustomed to getting.

Of course, the situation improves when construction is down a bit... like now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,035,301 times
We owned a building lot in Santa Fe, and for years we planned on building our own custom home there.

My husband was retiring and wanted to be his own general contractor. We got lots of advice from knowledgable people we respected, and everyone told us not to do it -- unless you are an expert in contracting work, you are taking a huge risk hoping that everything goes smoothly and not one glitch occurs in your plans. We were told that coming from out of state we were likely to get the run-around from sub-contractors, which finally led us to believe that we did not need this kind of headache or stress when we were coming here to retire and enjoy life.

The whole decision became moot anyway, because right at that time (2007-2008), the cost of construction materials skyrocketed and we did not have the financial means to build a quality home with all the features we wanted for the prices we were being quoted for labor and materials.

Our option, and one we have never regretted, was to buy an existing home right down the road from our building lot, a home that has ALL the features we wanted, and many we could never have afforded had we opted for new construction.

Good luck in finding the right option for you!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:28 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,348,417 times
[quote=gaduchman;13977646]I sold my sister's (4/3 stone 2800 sqft) home in Chama on 20 acres for $389,000 last year. High end? You betcha 1/2" marble counter tops and vanities, 3 jacuizzi tubs, Viking and stainless kitchen, top notch stuff right out of Le Cordon Bleu. Right now properties are worth about 1/3 less than they were two years ago.

I've been looking in the Chama area for the past 3 years. I would think that the price you sold is on the low side. Everything I look at with those square feet is more! I give anything for a Viking!!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:56 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,093,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Good luck if you have no clue in the field.
That's how I think about that sort of thing.

I would think the best way to get a clue would be to "flip"
a house with money that you care about, but can afford to lose.
Rennovate it as your own contractor. Get the experience that way.

Later, if you are sure, you can build your retirement/dream house.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 346 times
Do you know how much it would cost for 6 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths?

Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,177,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellafrecks2005 View Post
Do you know how much it would cost for 6 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths?

Where? Best answer is "a LOT of money!" Anyone who can afford to build that much house isn't going to be concerned much with costs, IMO. Regardless of where it's located.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:10 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,193,444 times
6 and 3 1/2 is going to have to be custom. Once you break out of the 3/2 median for larger and larger properties, the number of bathrooms increases faster than the number of bedrooms. You will likely find 6/5's and 6/6's in far greater measure than such an odd ratio, and 12-bedroom mansions will often have more bathrooms than bedrooms (like 12/14).

Slightly less insane would be to simply buy two adjoining 3/2 townhouses separated by a wall and call it a day.

The cost of that in Albuquerque would probably be around $300k-600k, depending on the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico