Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 AM

134 posts, read 891,448 times

Advertisements

I hope this is not coming off as being racist/ignorant and stereotypical. I definately don't mean it to be but...legitimate question...

How come pro/semi-pro soccer doesn't seem to succeed in Albq?

I know that MLS has been marketing to the hispanic population yet they placed a team in Salt Lake City without even discussing Albq as a possibility.

Albq has had the New Mexico Chiles, a highly successful Gecko's squad and I think there was at least one other in the past.

You're able to keep minor league baseball, hockey, don't you have minor league basketball as well?

I would think Albq would be hotbed for soccer but it's not. Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 03:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I think Albuquerque needs to be bigger to support a soccer team. It is easier to garner public support for other sports with a smaller population at this time.

Even major cities like NY and LA with huge populations of soccer fans from around the world have struggled to fill their stadiums.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
you would think it would be popular, but I have never known a single person who follows soccer.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:51 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,055 times
Salt Lake City has a larger metro population - generally metro areas of under 1 million are unable to support professional sports, unless they are part of a larger region. However, the entire state of New Mexico is home to fewer people than most metropolitan areas with a pro franchise, thus it's a tough sell.

desertsun, your generalized personal anecdotes are really getting tired.

"I've never", "blame the transplants", "I have never known", "Everyone I've met supports..." "NM probably ranks one of the worst for that" etc

I follow soccer. Regularly. I'm a Liverpool fan, and can't wait to support the U.S. in the upcoming World Cup. I'd certainly support a pro soccer team, should one ever come.

There, now you know someone who follows soccer.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:05 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
Burque I really respected your posts, thought you seemed like a smart intelligent individual then you had to post the dreaded L word!!

I'm from south Manchester and a United fan through and through, but for 2 hours this morning I changed and became a Liverpool fan and they let me down.

Looking forward to Saturday June 12th but will probably watch the game at home for safety reasons.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Salt Lake City has a larger metro population - generally metro areas of under 1 million are unable to support professional sports, unless they are part of a larger region. However, the entire state of New Mexico is home to fewer people than most metropolitan areas with a pro franchise, thus it's a tough sell.

desertsun, your generalized personal anecdotes are really getting tired.

"I've never", "blame the transplants", "I have never known", "Everyone I've met supports..." "NM probably ranks one of the worst for that" etc

I follow soccer. Regularly. I'm a Liverpool fan, and can't wait to support the U.S. in the upcoming World Cup. I'd certainly support a pro soccer team, should one ever come.

There, now you know someone who follows soccer.
so should I not give opinions, I have lived in New Mexico my whole life, I have never known a single person who follows soccer, and everyone I know are sports fans, that should give someone a good idea about how soccer is followed here in NM, it is not too popular, the majority of people like baseball,football and basketball. Great, I know one person, that might just land us a team, I hope the MLS knows you will support them.

and if you dont like my posts........stop reading them or dont get onto public forums if you dont like what you read, I try to be as realistic as possible with people. Let me suggest something to you, try to be a little more open minded to others opinions and ways of expressing things.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 AM

"Great, I know one person, that might just land us a team, I hope the MLS knows you will support them."

MLS isn't the only league I'm referring too. There is also USL Div-1 and NASL. Both are 1 step below MLS. I know both leagues want to expand so, why not ABQ? The avg attendance at that level is around 3000-5000

Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
UNM has had some success with soccer, mens and womens. The womens team even has/had a Vinnie Jones type defender.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM

132 posts, read 291,294 times
ABQ was mentioned as a possible franchise location for a minor league soccer team (one tier under MLS) a couple years ago. Problem is, where would they play? I definitely think this city could support given decent management like the Isotopes. Everyone I grew up with played soccer here in ABQ.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanabq View Post
ABQ was mentioned as a possible franchise location for a minor league soccer team (one tier under MLS) a couple years ago. Problem is, where would they play? I definitely think this city could support given decent management like the Isotopes. Everyone I grew up with played soccer here in ABQ.
Where would they play?

You had the Geckos a few years ago (I went to one of their games) and you had the NM Chiles before that. I think the Chiles went from outdoor to indoor not because of lack of support for outdoor soccer in ALBQ, but due to the league folding.

I don't remember where the Geckos played and I never knew where the Chiles played but there must be some kind of field in ALBQ for outdoor semi-pro soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico