Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,256,049 times

Advertisements

I know we were dodging heavy storms when we left the second week of February and we've tried to keep up with y'all's weather as best we can here (I realize that sayin' we've been in the sixties in March, the seventies in April and eighties in May might very well get me poked with a big stick ) but I know that with all the geographic areas in NM, weather can vary greatly in just a few miles.

So, I know some areas had snow on the 2nd... and of course the spring winds are present, but overall, how ya feelin' about the weather now? I remember that when I was complaining about so much snow, folks in my little community strapped snow chaind on or shifted into 4wd and said, with a feverish gleam in their eyes "It's MOISTURE, we looooove moisture!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,901,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post

So, I know some areas had snow on the 2nd... and of course the spring winds are present, but overall, how ya feelin' about the weather now? I remember that when I was complaining about so much snow, folks in my little community strapped snow chaind on or shifted into 4wd and said, with a feverish gleam in their eyes "It's MOISTURE, we looooove moisture!"
LOL!

Here in southern NM, we have had blowing dust, high winds and temperatures in the high 80s, with 90 predicted for this coming Saturday...ugh!!!

I'm just NOT ready for summer or hot weather, even if I can almost taste the homegrown tomatoes. That's the ONLY thing that makes summer worth going through!

But they are right about the moisture. Melting snowpack really does help all of the areas in general. But this winter was also unusual for recent years. What we had this past winter was once the norm for NM, even the southern mountain areas (Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, Mayhill, etc.).

Now it seems to only happen every 3-4 years. This was my kind of winter!

Hope things have settled down for y'all--and that you're doing well!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,038,439 times
[quote=Cathy4017;14061367]

This was my kind of winter!
QUOTE]

Same here! I loved this past winter! The snow all the time was just fantastic for a person who loves it.

No complaints here until it gets to the 80s and 90s -- and then I am with Cathy - the only thing I like about it is the tomatoes.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,959,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!

Here in southern NM, we have had blowing dust, high winds and temperatures in the high 80s, with 90 predicted for this coming Saturday...ugh!!!

I'm just NOT ready for summer or hot weather, even if I can almost taste the homegrown tomatoes. That's the ONLY thing that makes summer worth going through!

But they are right about the moisture. Melting snowpack really does help all of the areas in general. But this winter was also unusual for recent years. What we had this past winter was once the norm for NM, even the southern mountain areas (Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, Mayhill, etc.).

Now it seems to only happen every 3-4 years. This was my kind of winter!

Hope things have settled down for y'all--and that you're doing well!
so ya have your wonderful spring winds, the one part of NM I hated..

Have you planted your garden and if so, has it blown away?

Nita

Old 05-06-2010, 12:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,901,759 times
No, my tomatoes are still inside under lights inside--I'll probably get the first ones out this weekend!

It's been too cold at night (we had a freeze just recently) to put them out!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:06 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,923,544 times
Well, in April when there was nice rainfall for a change, I was keeping my fingers crossed that perhaps the annual wind storms would be on hold this year. WRONG! Last week was the worst I can remember in the 13 years living here full time, and today is another round. Not as bad, but still too windy to enjoy being out in it today. GRRRRRRR!!!

But at least the temps are still mild - highest this season was yesterday when it bumped 80F for a short spell in the afternoon.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 PM

433 posts, read 1,144,990 times
I for one am glad for the warmth. I hate being cold. Jaxart I think the winds were bad all over last week. After staying an extra week in northern Iowa having our engine replaced we started back last Thursday. We fought the wind the whole way home. It was awful.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,746,077 times
The last couple of days have been wonderful. My heat was actually on beginning of the week - the cold weather just seemed to drag on and on this year.

Today should be near 90 with very little wind - happy, happy, joy, joy

Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,374,188 times
Having the swamp cooler turned on next Monday. Should of had it on sooner.

Aside from the winds and a few rainy, cold days, its been pretty decent. Nothing like last spring though.

Bought some strawberry plants and they had some berries on them, so have been having an early treat. Yesterday was 82, today mid 70s. Gotta Love It!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,256,049 times
I don't know if y'all know it, but in the south we name our cold snaps, lol. A few weeks ago was dogwood winter (happens when the dogwoods are blooming) and blackberry winter (sets the buds on the plants)... this year there was no redbud winter, for some reason.
Here's some info on it:
What is Blackberry Winter? Or Redbud Winter? Or Dogwood Winter?

We're in blackberry winter now- today's temps only hit 62 and it was breezy. Lettuce is doing well, carrots and broccoli are showing above ground, onions are tall, potatoes are lookin' good, radishes, greens, okra are all growing like crazy.. melons are pokin' their leaves out and all my tomato plants have multiple blooms(thank God, since local tomatoes are 2.99 a lb!!!). The trees are full of tiny apples and the peonies (and one rose) are in full bloom.

Yep, Cathy- that's what we were told, every three years or so. Still a pain of a winter, that's for sure. We're doing well, aside from some health issues with our nine year old. They're confirming her celiac diagnosis on Wednesday and she's also recently been diagnosed as having an allergy to rice as well. The rice thing cuts her list of prepackaged/premade foods down to about 25% of all gluten free foods.

We checked the weather there this morning and it was 36 and flurrying in Moriarty. Clines Corners probably got accumulation out of it.

So it sounds like y'all are having an unusual spring as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico