U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 34,151 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating relocating from Ca to NM. Tired of the smog, traffic and rudeness. We would like to raise our kids in clean air and with a smaller pace of life. Any info on Los Lunas, NM? Also because we have small kids we need to know about the public school system. We currently have our son in private christian due to the overcrowding of the schools in Moreno Valley.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,482 times
Hello Serranopeppers, I live in Los Lunas. I am a public school teacher that is currently staying home with my own children. As for the school system, personally I am not satisfied with it. I am sure many "locals" would disagree but we are experiencing tremendous growth here in Valencia county and have serious issues with overcrowding. Our pay scale for teachers is ridiculously low to attract and maintain high quality educators. There are wonderful teachers here, but overall I am disastified with the LEVEL of quality the schools have here. I encourage you to check out both Los Lunas Public Schools as well as Belen Public Schools, both websites offer test scores and school data. There are other school alternatives to the public school system as well. In addition, we now have a commuter train to Albuquerque (30 min) and the city has other educational choices. As far as living in Valencia County, there are many benefits. We have large acreage parcels still available to purchase for quite a bit less than Albuquerque proper. Many areas have huge cottonwood trees and irrigation for growing alfalfa and crops. We also have great areas for horses and a "country" lifestyle. Hopefully, with the influx of growth coming to this area, the schools will start to change! We just got new neighbors from California and they love the slower pace of life!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 34,151 times
Thank you for your honesty. We received the same kind of feedback from the realtor. Are you familiar with the private/christian schools in that area that I could research further? The school districts were we live now are over crowded as well thus why our son is in private christian. My neighbor actually had to get a lawyer to get her son the education he needs at the local public jr high due to his disability. So I unless you live in a rich school district there will always be education deficits for the less endowed.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,165 times
Default Moving to Los Lunas, too.

Hi. I'm moving with my two daughters, who are going into 9th and 6th grade. I'd love some information on what I can do this summer to help get my kids off to a good start. Both love soccer, and I have them in the summer program. Maybe a good scout program, or 4H for the 11 y.o? I'm looking at housing from up by the high school, down to Canal Blvd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,501 times
Hi, I am glad that I stumbled onto this site. I was a teacher here in Los Lunas and I was dissatisfied with the school system here. I was so upset that I tried to make changes in the system, but due to nepotism and other political reasons my concerns fell on deaf ears. So, I started a private school. We are a small Christian based school and I am confident that my students are getting the challenges and education that they deserve. The name of the school is Back to the Basics Learning Academy and it is located in Bosque Farms (Which is a 10 min. drive from the high school). If interested please e-mail me and I would be more than happy to give you more information. admin@back2basicsacademy.com
Thank you and have a blessed day!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
I don't know when you posted your questioin about Los Lunas, NM..I just joined this site. I am a single mother of three, however, I have a degree & come from parents who are retired educators, so I have some knowledge of how schools should be run.
Two of my children attend Sundance Elementary. It's a fantastic school, in my opinion. Before it was built, they went to Katherine Gallegos Elementary...I liked it there as well. I now have a child in Middle School, and I really like all of her teachers and she has done very well. I have lived here for four years and have had absolutely NO problems. I would recommend it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico