Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times

Advertisements

I've noted that site-built are usually much higher. Timberon seems to be largely mobile or modular. The difficulty of transporting all the building materials, especially since it only recently acquired paved road access, has a lot to do with it, I would think. Mobile homes here in Tornado Alley are IMHO not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I've noted that site-built are usually much higher. .
It depends on the age. At one time, and still true in many areas, there were no building codes or inspections of new structures. That led to many "site built" houses that were constructed poorly and often with recycled materials.

Ruidoso is a prime example of such structures in the older parts of town. It's led to the designation "cabin" when people speak of "going to our cabin for the summer." Many of the older "cabins" were (some still are) nothing more than board and batten walls and corrugated tin roofs with no insulation, intended only for summer use. Many of the old cabins have since been "modernized" and in their current state a casual observer passing on the street might not realize that the basic structure, now hidden beneath new siding and roofing, is still the original cabin on a questionable post and pier foundation.

The same can be said for many former house trailers (mobile homes) that are now hidden behind new facades or have had additions that disguise the original house trailer.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Well, sure, it depends on the house! Some of the former house trailers are hard to recognize.

In my area, a post and pier foundation is preferable because the ground is so shifty. I have an addition on my house which is on a slab, unfortunately.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Well, sure, it depends on the house! Some of the former house trailers are hard to recognize.
I apologize for getting so carried away with my answer that I failed to make my point.

OLDER site built houses CAN be found that are in the same price range as house trailers, mobile homes and modular homes. NEWER site built homes are going to definitely be higher priced, but you usually get what you pay for in that newer homes are built to higher standards and not usually "do-it-yourself" projects as so many older homes throughout NM were.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,270 times
Site built frame homes often start at $125/sq ft while newer mods are about half the price and almost as well built. The diff btwn a mod and a mobile is simple. A mod is a mobile, with the wheels taken off and crane set on a permanent foundation. The assembly is exactly the same. I've had several mods over the years and they are well built, as much so or even more so than the conventional site built homes. Getting materiels to a remote site is just as difficult as bringing in a double wide. Unconventional mods include the Deltec homes Hurricane Resistant Prefab Round House, Prefab Green Dome Kits which are round and are hurricane resistant. That doesn't mean much, unless you've experienced Chinook winds in the PNW.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
I've had several mods over the years and they are well built, as much so or even more so than the conventional site built homes.
But have you ever bought one in NM? Colorado likely has much more stringent inspections, even out in the counties, than does NM. Modular homes sold in NM are often seen on sales lots, already in a state of deterioration before they're even sold! And if not properly maintained after they're installed on site they soon begin falling apart. Of course it's never good to generalize since it's possible to purchase modulars from manufacturers who build to code standards and take pride in their products.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
As always inspect before you buy. If the owner will not allow a thoruough inspection either go somewhere else of offer an appropriate price not much larger the the value of the lot.

We plan on visiting the area next Fall and will be looking for houses or Winter rentals.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
But have you ever bought one in NM? Colorado likely has much more stringent inspections, even out in the counties, than does NM. Modular homes sold in NM are often seen on sales lots, already in a state of deterioration before they're even sold! And if not properly maintained after they're installed on site they soon begin falling apart. Of course it's never good to generalize since it's possible to purchase modulars from manufacturers who build to code standards and take pride in their products.
The rules of construction are the same as site built - UBC. Mods are not generally found on sales lots - because they command higher prices and are built to order. What you're seeing in the sales lots are plain old double wides with vinyl siding, they don't last long. Same is true of vinyl sided stick built. Vinyl was the choice because it's cheap. Otherwise you'd see more of half-round log homes and real brick options.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Why are genuine full thickness wall adobes so expensive? With annual maintainence they seem to last forever.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why are genuine full thickness wall adobes so expensive? With annual maintainence they seem to last forever.
Labor to construct.

The cost of delivering adobe as compared to concrete block or framing.

Everything will last forever with annual maintenance.

Adobe is not strong nor does it have good thermal insulation.

But it was around 3,000 + years ago, so it catches the romance and character from years ago....

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico