U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,904 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am planning to move to neworleans and looking for apartment in safe neighborhood ( close to shopping and restaurants). I heard about riverridge, kenner and metaire. I would like to know which of these 3 places is best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM

310 posts, read 775,942 times
Suburbs are suburbs. I personally don't think there's a "best." Seems several people on this board are new to River Ridge and could help you out. I live in Kenner which isn't bad and I would say (as far as apartment living goes) that Kenner and Metairie are pretty similar. When it comes to areas of any of these 3, it's going to come down to your budget - how much a month can you spend and what type of apartment are you looking for? You say close to shopping and restaurants - do you have a car? I know several decent complexes in Kenner. If you let us know what you're looking for (more specific than just shopping), there are many of us who can help you easier.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 AM

Thank you very much for the information. I can spend around $700-800 and looking for 1 BedRoom Aptmnt. I do have a car. If there are decent complexes then it is not necessary to be close to restaurants or shopping. Would it be possible to mention names of the decent complexes. I greatly appeciate your help.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:33 AM

These are only in Kenner (others can help with other areas, I'm sure):

Sugar Mill East - just down the road from my house. Used to be a pretty junky place but has recently undergone renovations.

Sugar Mill West - literally in my back yard. Looks nice and I've had no problems with the people who live there. This one looks nicer than East, but I don't know for sure.

Both properties are gated - look at 1stlake.com - they have all kinds of complexes in the area including Metairie and River Ridge. These are just the 2 that had availability in your price range. Look at craigslist also, you might find something nice that's not in a complex.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 53,832 times
We are in The Creeks in River Ridge. The Creeks is like one neighborhood full of different apartments all owned by First Lake. There's several different options on the First Lake site in every price range. We're in a 2BR 2BA and we pay 945/mo. We're in one of the properties that's a little newer and therefore a little more expensive. We really like it here. These apartments are kind of tucked in a little corner where it's not in the middle of everything... but we're in very close proximity to anything and everything we could want or need. Not all of the Creeks apartments are in this 'neighborhood' though. We made a list of all the ones we were interested in and viewed them all.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM

239 posts, read 555,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassFish View Post
Hi,
I am planning to move to neworleans and looking for apartment in safe neighborhood ( close to shopping and restaurants). I heard about riverridge, kenner and metaire. I would like to know which of these 3 places is best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'm moving to one "The Creeks" in River Ridge in ... 6 days! My fiance has been living in our new apartment there since May 15th and absolutely loves it. I was there for 5 days to finalize my job placement and I also loved it. Of course I'll have more insight once I've been there longer, but the first things I noticed were:
-- Visiting the pool makes for a great way to meet the neighbors. People are very friendly. They bbq on weekends, bring the kids, have a few beers, and chat with each other. Coming from NY, this was a very different and very WELCOME bonus.
-- The apartments are pet friendly.
-- There are a couple of good, low-priced eateries within walking distance. Again, patrons and employees were friendly and welcoming. We went to one of them 2 nights in a row and were greeted so warmly the second night, I felt like I'd walked onto the set of Cheers or something.
-- People are cosmopolitan despite the fact River Ridge is a suburb. I'm not a snob, but I was afraid of total culture shock. Nevertheless, I felt comfortable, even when politics entered the conversation.
-- It is a shorter drive to the city than Mapquest and the like make it seem, BUT I didn't encounter much traffic. I'm sure that can make things worse.
-- You can hear tree frogs at night and see geckos during the day. There are frequent thunderstorms and then full sun again. Palm trees abound, though for some reason I haven't seen nearly as much Spanish moss as I did in the city. It's simple pleasures like these that drew me to the South in the first place, but I think the New Orleans metro is truly one of the friendliest areas in the region.
I speak from my experience at The Creeks of River Ridge only, but I'm sure these qualities are not unique to that area. Good luck on your search!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Ah, living at the Creeks gives you walking access to the Shimmy Shack! One of my favorite places - gotta love a bar in an old bank, right? Try their Cuban Flat if you haven't yet. The owner is an absolute trip too. You'll know when he's there, I guarantee it!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 PM

Thank you all for the information. I will look into the Kenner area and River ridge: "The Creeks". Thanks again for the detailed information.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 PM

239 posts, read 555,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
Ah, living at the Creeks gives you walking access to the Shimmy Shack! One of my favorite places - gotta love a bar in an old bank, right? Try their Cuban Flat if you haven't yet. The owner is an absolute trip too. You'll know when he's there, I guarantee it!
Yep that's the place.
He's got Red Sox paraphernalia all over the place. We were a little put-off by that, but everyone was nice to us Yankee fans anyway.
Will look into the Cuban Flat.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:35 PM

268 posts, read 666,527 times
If you are looking at Kenner, then you are resigned to drive daily. Move to St. Charles Parish.
St, Rose, Destrehan, Luling, Hahnville. VERY comfortable. Very safe, well run.
Ahh, sorry, Apartments. Never mind. Pook'll set you straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans