U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,211,726 times

Advertisements

Are they developing Tulane Ave to be like a mid city Atlanta or Galleria type area in Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,002,609 times
Not really, outside of a few new apartment complexes there is not much going on. That area still has a long way to go.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM

It is a shame developers have not invested in lofts and high rise condos there. This area has so much potential.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,415,818 times
Well the VA is coming and two shopping centers are going right now.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 PM

640 posts, read 1,069,409 times
ive heard of one shopping center (the one across the street from the crescent club..wheres the other?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 AM

268 posts, read 666,957 times
It's a tough call. New Orleans will NEVER be like Atlanta or do anything similar to
Atlanta. Granted I have not LIVED there for ten years, but I return twice a year,
and I know the city and area. If you see anything at all anywhere near NO, it will
be Uptown, Old Metairie, Mid City. That might work Tulane Ave in there somehow.
But there is still too much a lack of desire for wealthy whites & blacks to live near
struggling blacks.
As a city, 'we' are very good at getting along, and we celebrate and party together
and each and the other have many many friends across racial lines, but for the most
part it's the kids of each group that the adults of each group fear far too much to
make investment around. Face it, it's a lost generation for the most part. You still
have successful kids, you always will, but now you shave the top 20% off the top and
you have kids that 1. scare people, 2. have no moral fiber 3. Laugh at what their parents
held dear. There is no more middle class of kids. They all are so wrapped up in their
phones and clothes that they just don't give a crap anymore. No one wants to build
nice things around people who don't know how to GET nice things. Hard Work? haha,
that's all gone, man.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,002,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
It's a tough call. New Orleans will NEVER be like Atlanta or do anything similar to
Atlanta. Granted I have not LIVED there for ten years, but I return twice a year,
and I know the city and area. If you see anything at all anywhere near NO, it will
be Uptown, Old Metairie, Mid City. That might work Tulane Ave in there somehow.
But there is still too much a lack of desire for wealthy whites & blacks to live near
struggling blacks.
As a city, 'we' are very good at getting along, and we celebrate and party together
and each and the other have many many friends across racial lines, but for the most
part it's the kids of each group that the adults of each group fear far too much to
make investment around. Face it, it's a lost generation for the most part. You still
have successful kids, you always will, but now you shave the top 20% off the top and
you have kids that 1. scare people, 2. have no moral fiber 3. Laugh at what their parents
held dear. There is no more middle class of kids. They all are so wrapped up in their
phones and clothes that they just don't give a crap anymore. No one wants to build
nice things around people who don't know how to GET nice things. Hard Work? haha,
that's all gone, man.
You sure paint a bleak picture Brad man. I think we're doing just fine here. There are a lot of younger people moving into the city. We are in the process of rebuilding a tax base that was lost after the "white flight" of the 60s. We also have people moving in from out of town that have a desire to experience the city, not Metairie or St. Tammany. The city budget is tight right now, but in the next 10 years(barring any hurricanes) we'll be in a much better financial position and can look at investing more in development.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
You sure paint a bleak picture Brad man. I think we're doing just fine here. There are a lot of younger people moving into the city. We are in the process of rebuilding a tax base that was lost after the "white flight" of the 60s. We also have people moving in from out of town that have a desire to experience the city, not Metairie or St. Tammany. The city budget is tight right now, but in the next 10 years(barring any hurricanes) we'll be in a much better financial position and can look at investing more in development.
The core of NOLA is much more interesting than Atlanta and the city has more potential it just don't have the vision Atlanta has

Old 07-03-2010, 02:44 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,649,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The core of NOLA is much more interesting than Atlanta and the city has more potential it just don't have the vision Atlanta has
Just b/c the city leaders don't have the same vision as you have doesn't mean they don't have a vision. N.O. is unique and should NOT have the same vision as any other city.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:25 PM

268 posts, read 666,957 times
I agree that there are people who are trying to build a core, and don't think that I know anything,
I don't live there. But I know no money is going to be laid down as long as there is a serious criminal
element fighting equally as hard to try to take control of the city. Make no mistake, that's what the
criminals in NO are working on these days. The almost had it after Katrina. LOTS of weapons
and access to money, cops walking off the job left and right. No one wants NO to take off and
fly more than me, And it's been 30 years since I lived there permanently. But it is my blood, my accent,
my stories, my love. I stated what I believe, there will be money spent and people rebuilding neighborhoods,
but Tulane Ave, South Carrollton, nah. Keep your eye on any developments that build there.
Long term, 20 -30 years, sure, I'll give you that. But don't lose too much sleep waiting.

And by the way, Atlanta WISHES it had what NO has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans