U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM

3,242 posts, read 4,329,651 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'll be going on a trip to Mississippi and Louisiana next week, and it will end in New Orleans, and I'll be touring the French Quarter and I would like to ask how safe it is in that part of the city at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,418,629 times
Follow the same precautions you would in any other city and you should be fine.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,327,209 times
Be cautious. I do not live in New Orleans, but I have been a lot, and I have quite a few friends who live there permanently, so I have experience with the Quarter. Thing is, there are people who prey on people who are obvious, naive tourists, and they are good at what they do. Do not stop to answer if you are asked questions, especially unusual ones, by strangers. One of the common ways people get mugged is somebody will say something like, "Hey I bet I know where you got those shoes." The person will stop and answer, and it gives the stranger's friends enough time to move in and have you surrounded. Obviously, this will not be much of an issue as long as you stick to well-lit areas with a lot of people. Just don't go walking down dark streets or in deserted areas.

I don't mean to scare you, as New Orleans is a great city, and the French Quarter is something you should definitely see, but you should be cautious. I just wanted to elaborate since I didn't feel like the above post was very specific. You should not be overly worried at all, but you should also not get a false sense of security. There is a risk, and you should be aware of it.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,435,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
One of the common ways people get mugged is somebody will say something like, "Hey I bet I know where you got those shoes." The person will stop and answer, and it gives the stranger's friends enough time to move in and have you surrounded.
I don't know who handed you this line of crap but it is total BS.

busta

Old 06-27-2010, 12:20 AM

310 posts, read 776,632 times
Yup, load of BS. Kids will stop and ask you silly questions like that but all they're doing is panhandling. Not saying it's right and they will pester you to no end, but they're not setting you up. Just ignore them and move on. Keep in mind street performers expect tips and some can get really pushy. If you feel uncomfortable, move on, they're not going to send their friends after you, they have too many other people coming down the street who are potential tippers.

The only problems I hear about are people wandering into dark areas where tourists don't normally go and even then, it's a rarity. Stay in areas where there are other people. If it's dark and deserted, don't go there. Common sense. Please don't spread false fear, Ship. There's enough out there already.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM

11 posts, read 53,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
Yup, load of BS. Kids will stop and ask you silly questions like that but all they're doing is panhandling. Not saying it's right and they will pester you to no end, but they're not setting you up. Just ignore them and move on. Keep in mind street performers expect tips and some can get really pushy. If you feel uncomfortable, move on, they're not going to send their friends after you, they have too many other people coming down the street who are potential tippers.

The only problems I hear about are people wandering into dark areas where tourists don't normally go and even then, it's a rarity. Stay in areas where there are other people. If it's dark and deserted, don't go there. Common sense. Please don't spread false fear, Ship. There's enough out there already.
Good post. I am not a city person at all, and I've only lived in New Orleans for about a month, but I have never felt unsafe in the French Quarter. It's no worse than any busy touristy area in any other city. Just be smart and you'll be fine.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:47 PM

4,851 posts, read 6,390,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Be cautious. I do not live in New Orleans, but I have been a lot, and I have quite a few friends who live there permanently, so I have experience with the Quarter. Thing is, there are people who prey on people who are obvious, naive tourists, and they are good at what they do. Do not stop to answer if you are asked questions, especially unusual ones, by strangers. One of the common ways people get mugged is somebody will say something like, "Hey I bet I know where you got those shoes." The person will stop and answer, and it gives the stranger's friends enough time to move in and have you surrounded. Obviously, this will not be much of an issue as long as you stick to well-lit areas with a lot of people. Just don't go walking down dark streets or in deserted areas.

I don't mean to scare you, as New Orleans is a great city, and the French Quarter is something you should definitely see, but you should be cautious. I just wanted to elaborate since I didn't feel like the above post was very specific. You should not be overly worried at all, but you should also not get a false sense of security. There is a risk, and you should be aware of it.
What a load of hooey. I've been traveling back and forth to New Orleans for many years since we moved away from there in the early 1990's and I just have to say that those who might ask about "where you got your shoes" are not setting you up to be mugged.

The French Quarter is as safe as any other inner city tourist destination you would visit and walk through. Be smart, as said earlier, stick to the lighted, well-traveled areas. If you want to go somewhere like the cemetaries, join a tour group. There are several available for modest prices. Consider a buggy ride. Here you will see the quarter in a safe and as comfortable as possible, considering the weather, ride and get a history lesson about the city along with it.

Please do not allow those with negative attitudes to prevent you from seeing the wonders of New Orleans. While you are there venture up to Canal Street and take a ride on the St Charles Streetcar and see the Garden District. It is also a walkable area of the city.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 PM

3,242 posts, read 4,329,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
What a load of hooey. I've been traveling back and forth to New Orleans for many years since we moved away from there in the early 1990's and I just have to say that those who might ask about "where you got your shoes" are not setting you up to be mugged.

The French Quarter is as safe as any other inner city tourist destination you would visit and walk through. Be smart, as said earlier, stick to the lighted, well-traveled areas. If you want to go somewhere like the cemetaries, join a tour group. There are several available for modest prices. Consider a buggy ride. Here you will see the quarter in a safe and as comfortable as possible, considering the weather, ride and get a history lesson about the city along with it.

Please do not allow those with negative attitudes to prevent you from seeing the wonders of New Orleans. While you are there venture up to Canal Street and take a ride on the St Charles Streetcar and see the Garden District. It is also a walkable area of the city.
Hey, thanks for the info. I'll also be seeing the cemetaries, and the Oak Alley Plantation as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:18 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,431,078 times
What Ship said is pretty much BS except for onnnnne little thing. Someone might at some point say 'bet you a dollar I know where you got dem shoes'. No-one is going to surround and rob you, and the correct answer is 'I got dem shoes on my feet'!

We've never had a problem in the Quarter, or other areas come to think of it. Use whatever precaution you'd normally use in a city but be open too. They're a friendly bunch down there. Have a great time!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 PM

310 posts, read 776,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
What Ship said is pretty much BS except for onnnnne little thing. Someone might at some point say 'bet you a dollar I know where you got dem shoes'. No-one is going to surround and rob you, and the correct answer is 'I got dem shoes on my feet'!
Yup, and then you just get a disappointed, "Awww... you from here!" Then they move on to the next person. Nothing malicious about it except trying to trick you out of a few bucks. Watch out for the "party police" too. They'll ask for a donation to a charity in exchange for some type of New Orleans souvenir. That's fine but I've heard they're actually Hare Krishnas getting money to support their church and not a charity. Can anyone confirm that? It might also be a load of BS .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or