Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 PM

268 posts, read 744,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
After a while, the show really became dull. Who really wants to see 20-minutes of second lining?
Hahah, you might have a point there, but you'd be surprised at how much they DO second line there
in that neighborhood. I'm just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM

268 posts, read 744,036 times
I don't find anything about your post OT, GoWest.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 PM

75 posts, read 183,500 times
Well, thanks Brad. I am used to forums that are a little more anal than this one. I guess I get a bit gunshy because I don't like to be yelled at, even if it is online by people I may never meet.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM

355 posts, read 911,757 times
If any filmaker has a chance to show new orleans its David Simon, look at how he did the wire and it'll show. His work more often than not plays like a book rather than tv series. And they work very hard to be as real and true to life as possible.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM

310 posts, read 854,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWest77 View Post
Well, thanks Brad. I am used to forums that are a little more anal than this one. I guess I get a bit gunshy because I don't like to be yelled at, even if it is online by people I may never meet.
OT: You're all good, sir. I like it here. I don't get yelled at like another forum I frequent where several stuffed shirts who don't even live here jump down my throat for voicing my opinions on my own city. I hate being chastized or getting the virtual handslap online myself.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
If any filmaker has a chance to show new orleans its David Simon, look at how he did the wire and it'll show. His work more often than not plays like a book rather than tv series. And they work very hard to be as real and true to life as possible.
ITA, love "The Wire." It's very gritty, and I've been told by people working in law enforcement that it's fairly spot on.

However, I'd be happy if a director managed to get the accents/dialects right. It makes me crazy when I see films/shows set in NO and the actors talk like Vivien Leigh in "Gone With the Wind." Can it really be that difficult?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
ITA, love "The Wire." It's very gritty, and I've been told by people working in law enforcement that it's fairly spot on.

However, I'd be happy if a director managed to get the accents/dialects right. It makes me crazy when I see films/shows set in NO and the actors talk like Vivien Leigh in "Gone With the Wind." Can it really be that difficult?

And, don't forget that Vivien Leigh was English! She was only faking a southern accent!

Old 07-25-2010, 02:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
And, don't forget that Vivien Leigh was English! She was only faking a southern accent!
I didn't find that out until I'd already seen the film numerous times. But now when I watch it, I notice that Viv's British accent clips right through every now and then.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,599 times
what you may not be considering is most people had no idea what "second line" is
and 20 minutes of that is so much better than anything else on the boob tube...
i'll take it!

treme isn't a documentary. they did well to add a lot of local flavor without being too velveeta about it.
good work for the boob tube

Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM

355 posts, read 911,757 times
I actually think they did good with the accents, meaning they didnt attempt them they wrote stories in to explain them, the chef is from alabama, ect ect. same thing for baltimore accents in the wire, herc had a new yokr accent he couldnt shake, so they wrote him in as being from ny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans