Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Don't wear an over-sized shirt with flowers on it. That says three things about you:

1. You're over 60
2. You're bald
3. You're retired.

4. You're carrying a concealed weapon .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM

35 posts, read 144,065 times
Important thing to reiterate, if there is an empty table, but it is covered in dirty plates/mugs, sit there anyway. It's the best way to get a table, and they don't bat an eye at coming and cleaning it while you're sitting there.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM

75 posts, read 183,507 times
Thanks so much guys. I just got back a couple days ago and I am soooo soooo soooo ready to come back, most likely for good. I'm in the hotel business and I actually walked past a "help wanted" sign at the Andrew Jackson hotel. I stood there for about 15 minutes physically restraining myself from going in to apply for the job. And that only because I love my current boss (in a professional way LOL) and wouldn't want to leave him in a bind. But I am coming for good...soon I hope. "There's just something about it..." And yes, Billie, I do know what it's like to miss New Orleans...*sniff*

Old 07-22-2010, 04:47 AM

98 posts, read 285,418 times
1. You're over 60
2. You're bald (not just yet)
3. You're retired.

That is me and I am a tourist a lot. To all of the snobs who "hate it when" you are tourists when you visit my neighborhood. and where I am there is no way to avoid being seen as a tourist.

Being a tourist has many benefits, many locals will go out of their way to help you, while if they thought you were a local would pass thinking you knew what you were doing. Also many who appear to be locals are really tourists, I will bet, based on experience, that New Orleans, French Quarter, has more tourists than locals walking the streets.

Again, based on my experience, having fun is job one for a vacationer, so enjoy.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM

268 posts, read 744,110 times
I love Rad's post, I BET it IS hard not to be mistaken for a tourist
where you are. Unless they are a THAI tourist, lol.

As for the prospective Hotelier, YOU SHOULD have applied for that job while you were
there on the spot. You can always turn it down, but you won't get to listen to the pitch
if you don't apply. But I know how hard it is to leave a good boss. Plus, not sure if you
noticed, but it is HOTTTTtttt. in NO.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Yeah I have kicked myself about passing that up, but I know when the time is right I'll get down there for good. As for the heat, I actually noticed that by about the 2nd day I was there if I wasn't outside in the heat I was shivering and anxiously awaiting that furnace blast of humidity. It really doesn't hurt that I live in south GA, so I am fairly used to heat and humidity, BUT my god N.O. heat is like nothing I've ever experienced. And I LOVE IT!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM

152 posts, read 479,826 times
if u wanna "blend in" with the locals lol dont go to cafe dumonde.... u order from the table and it aint that great. **** tons of confectioners sugar everywhere on fried biscuits with a bunch-o-tourists around having sugar fights and wondering how to 'blend in" witht he locals so they can look cool i guess.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Gee Nico, thanks for taking one of the greatest times of my life and s******g aaaalllll over it. Nice! Not that Cafe Du Monde was the highlight of my trip; not even close, but really, I hope you got whatever it is that you needed from that rant. I know that going to Cafe Du Monde is old hat for you if you live in N.O. I get it. But it's all those little iconic peices of the place that fit together to make a beautiful picture of my fondest memories. So, I hope it makes you feel good about yourself to crap all over my innocent question.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Nothing wrong with returning to the old familiar places. I remember my mom taking me to Cafe Du Monde when I was a wee girl and how fun that was. Whenever I go to NO, I do go back whenever possible. It's a reliving childhood thing for me. I usually use the take-out window and walk around as I stuff a kajillion calories of greasy, fried, powered-sugar heaven into my face.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
Also many who appear to be locals are really tourists, I will bet, based on experience, that New Orleans, French Quarter, has more tourists than locals walking the streets.

WALKING the streets? LOL Maybe in the late afternoon after they've slept off whatever it was they did last night.

If you want to see the REAL French Quarter and the REAL locals, go down there just after sun up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans