U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM

31 posts, read 50,043 times

Advertisements

The recent announcement of Air Canada has been great news. New Orleans is growing everyday adding new lines to city and now adding international lines. One day the airport will need a back-up airport like the one in dallas, houston, L.A., NYC, and Miami. Lakefront airport used to hold commercial airline until they move to Kenner. Lakefront Airport could bring some domestic lines like Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando, NYC, Knoxville, Jackson MS, and Austin. This could be an economic development for New Orleans east in the future. The International Airport could be for expanding international flight and domestic flights while Lakefront Airport could handle half of MSY domestic Airport and regional airport. What you think. (P.S. its non-olympic)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,109,654 times
I think the proximity to houses will limit the size of planes that can land there; no room to expand runways and noise ordinances. Regulations are much stricter now. Also, proximity to the lake may be a problem now.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM

310 posts, read 819,554 times
That's definitely great news. MSY is still growing since Katrina and finally getting flights back that were lost. I worked for an airline for 10 years and MSY is still not nearly as busy as it was pre-Katrina; it still has much more capacity but, unfortunately, landing fees are high. Lakefront would be great for regional feeders: smaller aircraft such as any model of EMB, CRJ, and possibly even the Q400. These make up the bulk of the aircraft that most mainline carriers use and would be excellent business on shorter regional routes. I can't see lakefront handling half of the domestic air traffic, but even just a bit of commercial air business there would be very positive.

MSY is capable of larger aircraft but they aren't seen on a regular basis. I have seen an Antonov and several 747 there over the years, but not many. A couple of airlines fly the 757 in on a regular basis but aside from the regional jets you only see the smaller Boeing and Airbus jets and those don't come in full half the time, sadly (when they're full, they're jam packed, though). As of right now, there really isn't a dire need for another major airport, IMO. That's only because there doesn't seem to be the demand for it, not because I think it's a bad idea.

The only problems at Lakefront are that there's absolutely no room to ever expand and it's way closer to residential areas than MSY is to homes in Kenner. Restrictions on those types of things are way more stringent now than back in the airport's heyday of the 1940's-1950's.

Thank you very much for changing the subject. Cheers!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM

31 posts, read 50,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
That's definitely great news. MSY is still growing since Katrina and finally getting flights back that were lost. I worked for an airline for 10 years and MSY is still not nearly as busy as it was pre-Katrina; it still has much more capacity but, unfortunately, landing fees are high. Lakefront would be great for regional feeders: smaller aircraft such as any model of EMB, CRJ, and possibly even the Q400. These make up the bulk of the aircraft that most mainline carriers use and would be excellent business on shorter regional routes. I can't see lakefront handling half of the domestic air traffic, but even just a bit of commercial air business there would be very positive.

MSY is capable of larger aircraft but they aren't seen on a regular basis. I have seen an Antonov and several 747 there over the years, but not many. A couple of airlines fly the 757 in on a regular basis but aside from the regional jets you only see the smaller Boeing and Airbus jets and those don't come in full half the time, sadly (when they're full, they're jam packed, though). As of right now, there really isn't a dire need for another major airport, IMO. That's only because there doesn't seem to be the demand for it, not because I think it's a bad idea.

The only problems at Lakefront are that there's absolutely no room to ever expand and it's way closer to residential areas than MSY is to homes in Kenner. Restrictions on those types of things are way more stringent now than back in the airport's heyday of the 1940's-1950's.

Thank you very much for changing the subject. Cheers!
I have a question also. HOW DOES A CITY BECOME A HUB OR A MAJOR FOCUS CITY?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 PM

435 posts, read 1,036,323 times
Pook77 pretty much nailed it. MSY has lots of room to grow. Not sure where that airport currently stands with regard to what the experts have declared it's ultimate capacity to be, but I'm guessing that it may be quite some time before it becomes an issue. Infrastructure is certainly there for just about any realistic scenario, such as runway capacity for any aircraft short of a full-gross A380, terminal space with it's thirty-something gates, automobile parking and interstate access, etc...

But, before we dismiss the idea of a New Orleans reliever airport, many places that has one has done so more out of convenience than necessity. Sure, you have examples such as JFK and LGA, ORD and MDW, but just look at IAH and HOU. DFW and DAL. These latter examples were purely done for convenience. New Orleans could learn, or even perfect that model. After all, Lakefront is (all things considered) a preferable destination when looking at it's proximity to just about everything anyone not specifically visiting Kenner or Metairie would choose. There's a reason that NEW sees the vast majority of corporate aircraft arriving into New Orleans.

Just for fun, I looked at a comparison of NEW to a well-known reliever airport. I chose Chicago Midway for no other reason than I thought of it first.

Scenario: Urbanized with proximity to neighborhoods and is the former primary airport

Current runway capacity:

NEW (longest runway)
Takeoff distance: 6880' Both directions
Landing distance: 5510' RWY 18R Precision approach
Landing distance: 5135' RWY 36L Non-precision approach

MDW (longest runway)
Takeoff distance: 6522' Both directions
Landing distance: 6059' RWY 13C Precision approach
Landing distance: 5826' RWY 31C Precision approach

In other words, NEW compares fairly well with a storied reliever airport already and at a lower elevation, thus requiring less runway depending on, well, never mind (it's complicated). However, NEW has one huge advantage. MDW is TRULY landlocked by development. NEW (if it were ever to become economically feasible) has only a lake to conquer. Has anyone of you seen what the Japanese have done to build an offshore airport in far deeper water?

By the way, I flew in to Lakefront one day to pick up some passengers and was just walking the ramp looking at other planes. And to my utter joy, a 757 suddenly emerged from the low IFR and landed!! That alone made me think about this airport's potential. Turned out to be the team plane of the Tampa Bay Bucks.

Last edited by JimLFT; 07-14-2010 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwin134 View Post
I have a question also. HOW DOES A CITY BECOME A HUB OR A MAJOR FOCUS CITY?
*on soapbox* Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken...

MSY used to be a smaller hub for Delta but they closed their hub in (I believe) the late 90's. They still had MSY as a focus city until Katrina. The city can't just lobby for an airline to make it a hub, the game is about profit for the airlines. No profit being made as a hub? Bye bye to that hub city. Unfortunately, MSY is mainly a leisure market and ticket prices are almost too cheap (yes, even with all the fees) for many airlines to turn a decent profit. Prices skyrocket at prime festival times but those flights make up most of an airline's existence at MSY.

Something else is that hubs/focus cities of major airlines surround us: both Houston airports, Dallas, Miami, Memphis, Orlando, Atlanta... Throwing us in the mix at this time in the airline "game" most likely wouldn't be a smart business move. Most areas of the country can get here with one hub stop if not non-stop already.

The merger of DL and NW and also the expansion of Concourse D to accomodate the combined airline boosts them to the largest carrier at MSY but last I knew, there were no major airlines considering an MSY hub. The merger of US Airways and America West several years back pulled some non-stop destinations away from us and while the possible merger of Continental and United will bring more hub destinations to us, the airline will eventually have less flights to any one of those hubs.

Southwest doesn't use the hub and spoke system and, because of this, serves more destinations out of MSY. They do fly to their focus cities, but they have quite a few (10+ last I knew, haven't kept up with the business lately). Southwest has the most frequency of flights in and out of MSY right now and I think they have a good thing going.

I think what we have is good as long as the airlines can find benefits in continuing to grow here. High landing fees and being a leisure destination that most of America sees as "adult" and doesn't have a mouse for a mascot doesn't help.

*off the soapbox*

Old 07-22-2010, 02:04 PM

268 posts, read 711,797 times
I tell you one thing, I would rather, as a tourist, land at Lakefront Airport
and head into the city to cut loose than land way out in Kenner and have
to fight traffic, pay a large fare and then start partying.

Speaking of partying, I just googlemapped the thing to see if you could fly
into NO and jump a streetcar to your hotel, and sadly, it's not where I thought
it was. But I DID see that there is a 'technology park' where Pontchartrain Beach
used to be. Talk about partying. Man those were the days. Riding the Zephyr.
AHhhhhh. (insert depressed sigh here)

Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM

LOL Brad! I think the same thing when I see the airport shuttle driving on I-10. I always think, "Those poor tourists have such a long ride to get where they're going!" I know we don't see it as a long distance, but I'd think they're probably chomping at the bit to get downtown and that would definitely make the ride seem longer. But, we're definitely not the only major city to have their main airport a decent distance from the actual city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans