Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,554 times

Advertisements

My sister is looking at Tulane Univ., so I'll be visiting the NOLA area . We have been planning to visit the area even before she decided on checking out the university. We decided to drive because we want to get the experience of traveling through La/Miss/Tenn. We're really excited and want to get the full experience of the area. I have a few questions:

1) Are there any neat towns to check out? I am thinking about the "Skeleton Key" movie and voodoo. In fact are there any voodoo/hoodooo/magic areas that would be great to check out?

2) What historical areas are a must in the New Orleans/S. LA area?

3) We want to drive out to the marshland/coast area (staying in Venice or Grand Isle?). Do you have any suggestions for towns/areas to check out?

4) We also are interested in seeing New Orleans graves. Do you have a graveyard that you would suggest?

5) We want to visit a historical site or informational area about Hurricane Katrina -- what do you suggest? We heard about Katrina tours, but I don't really know how I feel about that.

6) Lastly, what do you suggest for inexpensive motels/hotels (we'd rather spend money on food/travel than our room).

Thanks! We're really excited to visit the most interesting/culturally rich city in the US!

If you any other info such as good restaurants/little towns/destinations we should check out make sure to let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Tulane's a beautiful, excellent school, and the first university I started at. Lucky sister! My college fund didn't cover the cost of out-of-state tuition, unfortunately.

I'll let others answer the rest of your questions, but if you're going to be in the area around Tulane, Audubon Park is a must-see. I'm a big sucker for the zoo--as many times as I go to NO, I can't get enough of Audubon Zoo. It's within easy walking distance of Tulane. Park and stride.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM

67 posts, read 172,183 times
This is a very nice old cemetery, very scenic. http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/stt...es/dubuiss.txt

Closer to N.O. is the Metairie Cemetery with some huge tombs and gorgeous architecture.

There are so many little towns and things to see in any direction. One of my favorites is to go up old highway 51 to Ponchatoula. You should see some birds and other wildlife. Take the Joyce Wildlife nature walk near Ponchatoula then go into town for lunch. Paul's Cafe is in the center of town, near the town gator (see cage by the railroad tracks). There are many shops and things to fill your time. Have some strawberry beignets at the Berry Patch or a homemade strawberry daiquiri at Paul's. On the way back stop at Middendorf's and have some homemade ice cream on the deck overlooking Pass Manchac.

St. Michael's on River Road west of LaPlace has a beautiful old cemetery and a grotto behind the altar in the church. Keep going west for a down-home style lunch at Hymel's in Convent, LA. On the westbank side you will find my favorite plantation, St. Joe, and a couple of miles away is B & C seafood where you can have a choupic sandwich or fried gator.

You can find some nice scenery toward Thibodaux and Houma also.

Can't help you with the Katrina part. Your best bet is to take a ride with a local and listen to every word they say.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 12,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjosh89 View Post

1) Are there any neat towns to check out? I am thinking about the "Skeleton Key" movie and voodoo. In fact are there any voodoo/hoodooo/magic areas that would be great to check out?
Skeleton Key was mostly filmed at Félicité Plantation in Vacherie, St. James Parish. However that is a private home, not open to the public and no trespassing signs are posted. In the movie they say they were in "Terrebonne Parish" but the filming mostly took place in St. James and no one in either area practices voodoo. That's all "hollywood" induced magic to make the movie more interesting. That is not to say that there's not some eccentric here or there that practices voodoo, but you'd be most likely to find that person in New Orleans and you'd have to look really hard to find them (the real thing) instead of some souvenir shop in the quarter claiming to be authentic.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
1.) Acadiana is definitely worth checking out. Find some literature about the place and see what you would be in to. My personal recommendations would be Lafayette, Abbeville, St. Martin Parish (specifically Lake Martin, downtown Breaux Bridge and Henderson) and anything related to zydeco north of Lafayette. All of these places are about 2.5 hours west of New Orleans. If you want closer I would suggest across Lake Pontchartrain, only an hour away. Abita Springs brewery is legit, Independence has a Sicilian-American community (eat at Gina's in Independence). Anything voodoo related is in New Orleans.
2.) In the city, you have to see the Tulane/Loyola area, the Garden District, the (non Bourbon St.) French Quarter, and the Faubourg Maringy. And if you have time left take the ferry from Canal St. to Old Algiers. Outside of the city stick with what I said in #1.
3.) The oil spill has gravely affected the southeast Louisiana coastal area. If you want to see that, Grand Isle would be good. If you want to get away from that I would suggest yet again Acadiana, this time on the coast. Cypremort Point and Avery Island. Closest wetlands to the city are lower Saint Bernard Parish. They got it bad from Katrina but it's still really interesting. Highway 300 takes you to Delacroix, a fishing village inhabited by Croatians and Canary Islanders. It is called the "end of the world" because the road literally ends as it turns to open water. 50 minutes from downtown N.O. Oh and check out Bayou Sauvage, also close to the city.
4.) The cemetary at Prytania and Washington is pretty legit. Metairie Cemetary is worth the 15 minute drive to the burbs as well. There are other beautiful ones but I wouldn't want to send you in the wrong part of town.
5.) Don't do the Katrina Tours. Those people infuriate me. If you can find a local to show you the 9th Ward it'll be worth it. If you wanna find it yourself message me and I'll give you directions.
6.) In town I would suggest the Prytania Park hotel, assuming you have a car. Out of town, I would only stay at a chain hotel in Metairie. Anywhere in East New Orleans is dicey.
Good luck and enjoy my city.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Cemeteries: I definitely recommend St. Louis 1 for it's history and creepiness. I have shot some great black 'n' white photos there. However, I, too, also recommend the Metairie Cemetery for it's beauty and uniqueness. There is even a tomb shaped like a pyramid. And you can drive through this one. At this one I took some great color photos.

How long will you be there? Don't devote every night to Bourbon Street; go to Frenchman Street in the Marigny one evening and enjoy the life and music.

If you have time, take a cab to the Mid-City Rock 'n' Bowl. Such a cool place! You can bowl ~ or dance ~ while enjoying some of the finest Louisiana bands. Different kinds of music from jazz to zydeco to blues, etc. Very fun and different. Last time I was there (last year) we stayed until the zydeco ended at almost 2:30 a.m., and we had to drag out of bed a few hours later for Jazz Fest.

We once stayed at the Park Hotel on St. Charles, which was very reasonable (less than $100 per night). However, that's at the opposite end of the strip. And while it's right there on the streetcar line, it still takes a long time.

Better yet, contact the Dauphine House in the Marigny District. That is where we stay and the rates are cheap in the summer. Great service, wonderful proprietor. She stocks all kinds of fruits and muffins in the room for her guests. Location is good, close to Frenchman Street.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
There's the Katrina Memorial on N. Claiborne between Tennessee and Reynes.
There's also the Graves of the unidentified Katrina victims and memorial which are arranged in the shape of a hurricane in the Charity Cemetery on Canal St.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times
You're going to love New Orleans if your questions are a barometer.

Have fun.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 29,769 times
If you're interested in voodoo, in general, and want to go to a couple of places just to learn more or see what's up, here are a handful of recommendations outside of the more touristy souvenir shops (which are certainly fun to poke around in but not informative or "real," as it were):

In or near the FQ:

The New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum
www. voodoomuseum. com/
724 Dumaine

The Voodoo Spiritual Temple/Cultural Center
(run by Priestess Miriam)
www. voodoospiritualtemple.org/
826 N. Rampart

Voodoo Authentica
I adore this group, and they are always up for a chat about things for anyone who wants to ask!
www. voodooshop. com

In the Bywater

Island of Salvation Botanica
(run by Vodou priestess Sallie Ann Glassman, another awesome gal)
835 Piety Street
www. feyvodou.com/services/about_sallie.htm

I hope this helps!

Skeleton Key is one of my favorite films because I love the scenery and the music and it's plain ol' fun to watch - but it IS very Hollywoodified and kind of gives us a bad rap, a little bit, because of it.

Have a wonderful visit!

(OT - *waves* Hi, all! Am very new to the forums, didn't want to clog anything up with an Intro post though. What a great, informative place this is! I also apologize for the included links Lack of Working - my machine is being..odd. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans