U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 03:42 PM

311 posts, read 720,673 times

Advertisements

Did some driving around today and I have a few questions/comments.

- Lower Ninth: Drove through on St. Claude Ave., and although a lot of it looked pretty run-down, it wasn't as terrible as I expected. I'm sure I didn't see the worst since I stayed on the main street, but is it worse up towards Claiborne? Have things improved since pre-Katrina now that some of the bad buildings were destroyed?

- What's with the National Guard Building on St. Claude Ave? Nice building, but looks like the yard hasn't been mowed in a month or two.

- New Orleans seems pretty easy to get around, even for someone who is new to the area.

- I love learning about the history of this area. I like "old" history a lot, but right now I am fixated on Katrina stuff. Are the "devastation" tours still worth it? Has most stuff been cleaned up by now? Any suggestions for reading, photos, or videos would be appreciated.

- Any suggestions on places to drive through? Nothing touristy, not even necessarily National Historic sites or anything like that. Sounds strange, but I am interested in areas that are said to be "bad". Now I'm not going to go driving through the worst parts of town in the middle of the night or getting out looking for trouble, but I wouldn't mind driving through some of the "rough" places. I'm sure I'll be recommended not to do so, but if I could get some suggestions of places to drive around, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by lmcintyre1s; 07-17-2010 at 04:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,271,256 times
#1: Yes, it is much worse on North Claiborne. The levee breach was on the other side of the Industrial Canal and the water was higher on the North Side (Claiborne). If you can find Florida Ave. in the 9th Ward you will be blown away. It looks like a 3rd world country. Overall the quality of life is lower in the 9th post Katrina. People forget those were homeowners, maybe the houses weren't much but there was pride.

#2: The building is brand new.. the original historical site took probably 10 feet+ of water. Im sure they're still reeling from the crisis and just haven't gotten around to it.

#3: Glad you're finding your way. I have tons of newcomers lamenting over the one-ways, the fact that the river cuts off streets, etc.

#4: Don't go on the tours. I think it's disgusting that those maggots are profiting off people's suffering. Do you think the proceeds go to help the community? Think again. Get a local in the know to drive you around, you'll learn a lot more. Hell, I'll do it. Message me.

#5: Anywhere past Canal can get dicey. If thats what you're after, go for it. Central City (near Greyhound Station) is pretty raw.

Enjoy my city.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:23 PM

311 posts, read 720,673 times
Thanks for the response. I'm loving New Orleans so far, and I want to experience all that it has to offer, the good and the bad. I never wanted to have to leave the area I grew up in, but since I moved, I'm glad New Orleans was where life took me.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 AM

143 posts, read 337,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
#4: Don't go on the tours. I think it's disgusting that those maggots are profiting off people's suffering. Do you think the proceeds go to help the community? Think again. Get a local in the know to drive you around, you'll learn a lot more. Hell, I'll do it. Message me.

Agreed. I was part of a group that came down to volunteer with ARNO, a good five months after Gustav ... the director of the shelter spent a whole day showing us what happened. It was rough. It was one of the most emotional days of my life, and the women in my group would agree with me.

I cannot fathom people charging for that. Disgusting. Don't give money to people like that.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM

75 posts, read 170,309 times
What I find hard to believe is that Gray Line does these "Katrina" tours. They are a reputable and established company that I worked with a lot back when I was a travel agent. I guess it's all about the money. I would just think that a reputable company would refuse to profit off the backs of people who suffered so much. Wishful/naive thinking I guess

Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 AM

310 posts, read 782,982 times
What was (or still is) even worse is that they were using those larger 40 passenger busses to take people - winding through areas of the Lower 9th that a vehicle of that size (that wasn't involved in construction) had no business going. Another thing is when my inlaws insisted on taking one 3 years ago, there were so many people signed up to go that there were TWO of those busses parading around back to back. Don't get me started on the things the tourists (including my father in law) were griping about as they exited the busses. It was a conversation that should really only be heard at a theme park. "They refused to stop long enough for me to take pictures" was a common theme. Well, duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans