U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
 
1,160 posts, read 2,149,246 times
Reputation: 1433

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
New Orleans is the "blue spot in the red sea" of Louisiana. The entire city is incredibly liberal. The suburbs tend to swing right a bit more but they still can't be considered "red." If you can't stand liberals in Austin, then you're REALLY going to be frustrated with the liberals in New Orleans.
I'm familiar with the political dynamic in NO. The difference between NO and Austin is that the liberals in NO are common sense liberals, not reactionary "politically correct" liberals. Two different things entirely. I come from a family of dyed-in-the-wool, yellow dog democrats, so the word "liberal" isn't in itself offensive, if applied in its purest form. But there's a lot of BS that goes on in Austin that I won't go into. I highly doubt that you see a lot of pro-drug legalization (all drugs) and anti-animal testing demonstrations going on in the state. The City of Austin spends ghastly amounts of money on things like giving musicians free health and dental care (and free lodging), relaxing sound ordinances, and saving 100-year-old oak trees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
310 posts, read 781,690 times
Reputation: 260
Ah, gotcha. My misunderstanding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 02:23 PM
 
1,160 posts, read 2,149,246 times
Reputation: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
Ah, gotcha. My misunderstanding.
No problem. I guess the term I should have used was that Austin is overloaded with the insincerely politically-correct who look on you with disdain if you cannot afford to drive a Prius, shop organic or pay for "green energy," which is 20 percent more than the city's conventional services.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
310 posts, read 781,690 times
Reputation: 260
Oh, I understand the type of liberal you're talking about now! Those kind definitely wouldn't get along with the kind here - namely me, I would go insane and I'm on the left side of moderate. Describing my attitude towards them would probably get me banned from this board. There should be a different description of the type in Austin altogether! I guess I never really saw the real side of the city the several times I was there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
 
1,160 posts, read 2,149,246 times
Reputation: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
Oh, I understand the type of liberal you're talking about now! Those kind definitely wouldn't get along with the kind here - namely me, I would go insane and I'm on the left side of moderate. Describing my attitude towards them would probably get me banned from this board. There should be a different description of the type in Austin altogether! I guess I never really saw the real side of the city the several times I was there.
It's driven me nuts for a long time now. Much of the new attitude comes from the huge influx of West Coasters, who brought their nonsensical self-defeating politics and social structures with them. I can promise you that if Austin sustained a disaster along the lines of Katrina, there'd be a bunch of coddled Anthropologie-shopping, Whole Foods-moseying U.T. students on the lawn of the Capitol with "Save Tibet!" signs (or whatever's fashionable to save these days).

Now back to our regularly-scheduled story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 09:02 PM
 
Location: los angeles/florida
485 posts, read 1,577,125 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I'm familiar with the political dynamic in NO. The difference between NO and Austin is that the liberals in NO are common sense liberals, not reactionary "politically correct" liberals. Two different things entirely. I come from a family of dyed-in-the-wool, yellow dog democrats, so the word "liberal" isn't in itself offensive, if applied in its purest form. But there's a lot of BS that goes on in Austin that I won't go into. I highly doubt that you see a lot of pro-drug legalization (all drugs) and anti-animal testing demonstrations going on in the state. The City of Austin spends ghastly amounts of money on things like giving musicians free health and dental care (and free lodging), relaxing sound ordinances, and saving 100-year-old oak trees.

"...and saving 100-year-old oak trees."

Ummmm this is a BAD thing? WOW, so you won't mind breathing dirty, polluted air when no one cares about saving trees anymore? After reading your posts, I really don't think you will fit in well in NOLA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 PM
 
Location: los angeles/florida
485 posts, read 1,577,125 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
No problem. I guess the term I should have used was that Austin is overloaded with the insincerely politically-correct who look on you with disdain if you cannot afford to drive a Prius, shop organic or pay for "green energy," which is 20 percent more than the city's conventional services.
They won't look down on you if you can't AFFORD to do these things, but they will if you can't comprehend the importance of caring about the environment. Just because you don't care doesn't mean they aren't sincere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,465,254 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
"...and saving 100-year-old oak trees."

Ummmm this is a BAD thing? WOW, so you won't mind breathing dirty, polluted air when no one cares about saving trees anymore? After reading your posts, I really don't think you will fit in well in NOLA!
Touch a 100-year-old oak tree in NOLA and it won't be pretty. I can guarantee that. NOLA has it's share of Anthropologie-shopping, Wholes Food-moseying Uptowners as well. I don't know how they compare in Austin, but I think that I see a lot of what he/she's describing everyday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
310 posts, read 781,690 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
"...and saving 100-year-old oak trees."

Ummmm this is a BAD thing? WOW, so you won't mind breathing dirty, polluted air when no one cares about saving trees anymore? After reading your posts, I really don't think you will fit in well in NOLA!
Here's a rant because I can't stand it. Hate me if you will:

While I agree with environmentalists to some extent, most protests are annoying, clogging up the streets, and aren't accomplishing anything. There's not a thing wrong with doing something to save the environment, but screaming loudly and not acting are another story which most of these lovely groups subscribe to. Example: the group who did the loud, ineffective, granola march against BP in the French Quarter a month or so ago. I'm sorry, but all it consisted of was embarrassing hippies marching with Jason Mraz. What good does that do? Lobby. Get educated and talk to people that matter. Meaningless protests get you laughed at by those of us not walking around in Birkenstocks. I'm sorry if anyone here marched and actually acted but I'm willing to bet (just from experience) that most marched for the media coverage and either went back to their cushy homes or went home to the West Coast.

Causes are not a bad thing. Saving 100 year old oak trees is not a bad thing. I know first hand that many of the people in these lovely, elitist "movements" WILL give you crap for not being green when "green" is actually flipping expensive! Have you shopped at Whole Foods lately? The green movement has a higher profit margin than they want most to believe and, frankly, it's disgusting. It's absolute BULL to suggest that the people screaming the loudest about saving the environment won't berate you for not buying (LITERALLY) their cause. Wanna save the environment? Go talk to the people in China and tell them to quit destroying the ozone.

I don't think anyone here doesn't care about the environment. What I don't care about are inconsiderate, rich yuppies and ex-hippies from the 1960's that think berating people and yelling loudly is doing the world any good.

I identify with liberals. Proud to say so. But I'm embarrassed to be grouped with the people that Melissa spoke about. Yes, I spoke out against Melissa until she explained, but I get it now. I've lived in too many areas of the world to even begin to identify with the selfish propaganda of the population she was referring to; it's a waste of time and energy. Get involved, donate your time and money, but don't clog things up with useless protesting or belittling your fellow man because you make enough money to "go green."

I'm not saying don't go get involved; I donate a ton of my time to a local environmental cause. I'm saying the elitist enviromental movement is out of control and, while I don't know the situation in Austin, that sounds exactly like what it is. This crap has to stop. Again, 100 year old oaks are a great thing to save, but holding mind numbing, useless "sit-ins" or the like is good, eye-rolling propaganda meant solely for the news cameras. Do something other than complaining like a 2 year old.

Okay, I can be banned now. This post was worth speaking my mind about.

Last edited by Pook77; 07-23-2010 at 11:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 12:24 AM
 
1,160 posts, read 2,149,246 times
Reputation: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
I don't think anyone here doesn't care about the environment. What I don't care about are inconsiderate, rich yuppies and ex-hippies from the 1960's that think berating people and yelling loudly is doing the world any good.

I identify with liberals. Proud to say so. But I'm embarrassed to be grouped with the people that Melissa spoke about. Yes, I spoke out against Melissa until she explained, but I get it now. I've lived in too many areas of the world to even begin to identify with the selfish propaganda of the population she was referring to; it's a waste of time and energy.
I had the privilege of living in another state where there was a deficit of these people, and it put a whole new spin on what environmentalism really meant. The subsistence dwellers in Alaska, who live without electricity, cars and running water, know more about minimizing consumption than so-called "environmentalists." I'm not saying that I want to live like that; but compare and contrast to the consumer who dumps his two-year-old conventional vehicle to buy a Prius or spends an extra $2000 a year for wind power, and those acts seems like wasteful posturing.

Let's get back to this one 100 year old oak tree. Which was in the poncy, historic area of town. The city spent god-knows how much money calling out tree specialists to "save" it. There are other sickly trees just like it in Austin ... just not in the right neighborhood. Even people who live here eventually started to complain about the wa$te. Let's pick people up off the streets -- build more shelters and find a way to feed them -- before we crusade for a tree, is all I'm saying.

Environmentalism and conservationism--eschewing needless consumption--is something that is done by restraint, not words, nor displays, or spending gobs of money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top