U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,318 times

Advertisements

We were in New Orleans last spring and had an ok time. A month later we received a letter from the city with a "speeding" ticket for $110 for driving at 30 mph in a 25 mph zone. The ticket was accompanied by a picture clearly showing our locally rented car in a deserted street. The ticket arrived by regular mail and was delivered to the wrong address. When we finally got it we paid the ticket. Three weeks later there was a new ticket for $185 ($110 + $75 "late fee"). I know NewOrelan needs money but they should find other ways to raise it rather than using extoertion on tourists in this manner. I for one, will NEVER go back to to NewOrelans. Way to go NewOrleans, the city really sucks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,121,242 times
I understand how you feel , but prepare to get flamed .

Old 07-30-2010, 04:08 AM

98 posts, read 275,278 times
5 miles an hour over the speed limit is certainly not within the spirit of the law, unless there was a special zone, school etc.

110 bucks for said 5 miles is really excessive unless they have a minimum fine per violation.

Looks like you ran into a government computerized bureaucracy on the late charge. Greatest excuse in the world, wasn't me it was the computer.

I would write a letter to the mayor and the chief of police and state your facts, about the wrong address, and give them a chance to rectify the situation. Meaning the late fee.

Cameras are in many cities and catching violators is what they are there for, they catch everyone not just tourists. Were you to stop visiting places who use them you may well be relegated to third world countries.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 AM

310 posts, read 819,415 times
You weren't singled out as a tourist, believe me. The city does this to EVERYONE. The cameras and the way they do their ticketing is a hot button with the citizens of the city right now. Boycotting a city because of a poorly handled speeding ticket is just plain eye rolling, sorry. I do agree with the source of your anger, though.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,196,409 times
I know people this has happened to in Atlanta.

The city does not suck however, you just triggered the speed trap cameras...they have them all over the nation and they universally suck

Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,980,242 times
The city claims the cameras "only take pictures if you're 6+ mph over the limit, unless it's a school zone." I've gone through a few at 40 (35 mile zone) and no flash, but I may have been lucky.

Regardless, if you one passed one of these cameras you also passed two signs that read "PHOTO ENFORCED; SPEED 25".

Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Snats check the date for when the first ticket was sent. Use the USPS date on the envelope and not the one on the letter because I find that some places will fudge their date a bit. Use that and the wrong address on the envelope to appeal the late fee on your ticket. While there is not a whole lot you can do over the speeding ticket, I'm hoping that your appeal over the late charge will be successful.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 AM

4,822 posts, read 7,112,062 times
When I go home to eastern Iowa these cameras are all over the place now. I've gotten 3 tickets. One was for not coming to a complete stop when turning right at a red light...I was the only car in sight.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 AM

311 posts, read 761,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
You weren't singled out as a tourist, believe me. The city does this to EVERYONE. The cameras and the way they do their ticketing is a hot button with the citizens of the city right now. Boycotting a city because of a poorly handled speeding ticket is just plain eye rolling, sorry. I do agree with the source of your anger, though.
Yep.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 AM

8,284 posts, read 12,985,133 times
I suggest you avoid Orlando also since these cameras are everywhere here and are slowly popping up in Miami and other major cities in Florida. Big brother has arrived!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans