U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM

30 posts, read 71,914 times

Advertisements

Any place is what you make it .. be it Winterset IA or Philadelphia... You just have to be prepared to **** your money away here... i m not complaining, my life is ok here
just making observations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:45 PM

145 posts, read 578,470 times
As an outsider preparing to move in, I'm glad that to know that I'm not the only one with sticker shock when it comes to cost of living in NOLA. I'm a big proponent of homeownership, but am having 2nd thoughts about buying in New Orleans. I can't justify spending over 200K on a house, just to get a fixer-upper in a transitional neighborhood with no attached garage. I could see if salaries were higher than other parts of the South, OK. But when the average pay is lower than other places, how does this add up? Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 PM

310 posts, read 769,247 times
If you're willing to give the suburbs a go, check Kenner and Metairie. There are properties I know of in my neighborhood for under $200K. Not much under, though. I think my neighbor's house is on the market for around $180K. Just to give you an idea of the type of house: we have 1900 sq ft and a 1 car garage and all of our neighbors have similar houses. Just make sure you tour the area, though. Certain blocks can be kind of shady, even in the burbs.

The Northshore (even though it's a bit of a drive) is a bit cheaper too.

I will say if you're single and looking for a life, stay in the city proper no matter what deal you find on the outside!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 PM

16 posts, read 21,210 times
One of the problems with you people are that you all want to live in the same damn neighborhood.
All I keep hearing is uptown or FQ, how about Pontilly (Gentilly woods, ponchartrain park area) Gentilly Terrace, and other parts of the city that's SAFE AS CAN BE but you folks won't move there because it's not UPTOWN OR DAMN MARIGNY.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,338,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown504 View Post
One of the problems with you people are that you all want to live in the same damn neighborhood.
All I keep hearing is uptown or FQ, how about Pontilly (Gentilly woods, ponchartrain park area) Gentilly Terrace, and other parts of the city that's SAFE AS CAN BE but you folks won't move there because it's not UPTOWN OR DAMN MARIGNY.
You can't get mad if that's all people hear about. Parts of Pontilly and even The East are nice and great for raising a family, but it has to compete with Jefferson and St. Tammany. The average person who is looking for that lifestyle is going to be more interested in an area with better services catering to family life (schools, health, city services, etc). The majority of the people looking for advice are single, childless, or have children that have left the nest. These people tend to be looking for city life and you're not going to get that in Pontilly, Lakeview, Lake Vista, The East and so on. The things they are looking for can only be found in The Quarter, Marigny, Tulane/Loyola area, Bywater, CBD, Warehous District, Lower Garden District, and the lower end of Pigeon town.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I think you need to follow the advice of your screen name and calm down. I understand you're probably just standing up for your neighborhood, but I think it would take a sizeable influx of new residents who are completely new to the city to make a buzz about moving to said neighborhoods. Transplanted residents want to be with similar people. Moving to areas where there are already numerous transplants just makes more sense.

I don't think anyone thinks the areas you mentioned are unsafe but, as Westbank pointed out, most of the posters here are young and single - not people looking for a neighborhood full of families with kids. Most young, single people moving here want to be close to the "action."

Old 09-16-2010, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 21,210 times
It's not just new, hip new comers, it seems like everybody. I don't care if that's your preference or not, just don't complain when you get mugged or get your car broken into and blame the entire city, or when you want to raise a family and you're having a hard time finding an affordable place to live that's safe. IT DOES EXIST in New Orleans. My neighbor bought his home for 86K and his kids go to catholic schools, we all know each other, etc.

It sucks that a lot of you new comers and folks looking for neighborhoods don't even know this type of stuff. SMH, all the action get's old after a few years, I can ride a bike to the FQ from my house and be there in 30 mins if I go up Elysian fields, 10 mins if I'm driving, so I guess I'm close to the "action" too.

get a grip

Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 PM

145 posts, read 578,470 times
The only way a newcomer like me is going to know about these areas is if folks like Calmdown504 speak up for their neighborhood. Yes, I'm young(ish) and want to be close to the action, but I'm also married and plan on starting a family as soon as we get settled. I want New Orleans culture, but I'm worried about New Orleans crime.

Frankly, the only things I've heard about Pontilly is how badly those areas were hit during Hurricane K. Have those areas recovered enough to support a strong community of homeowners?

I wish more people would "represent" their neighborhoods, as I can't afford to buy a house in the fashionable areas of Old Metairie, Uptown, and the Garden District, the Northshore is too far, and the Westbank seems too "cookie-cutter". The Realtors are no help, either.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
get a grip
A tad bit mean, don't you think?

People need to be educated on the areas you speak of. You should get the word out but there's no need to put people down online to do so. "calmdown" and offer your information nicely. Post and tell people all about your neighborhood, good and bad, and maybe people who look here for neighborhood advice will take it into consideration. Newcomers from way out of town barely know your neighborhood exists and, if they do, have only heard the bad stuff from Katrina. I know I didn't know a darn thing about it until I moved to the area. Stick around here and read the forums. Offer up your neighborhood advice when somebody asks, don't just sit back and yell at people when all they talk about are the better known areas - THAT'S ALL THEY KNOW! You might educate somebody on something different, but seriously, just be nice about it. Yelling at people for not choosing your area most likely doesn't endear them to it.

Realtors should be doing their jobs and promoting their homes for sale also. It's a terrible shame if they're not.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Last edited by Pook77; 09-16-2010 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: delete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans