U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM

16 posts, read 21,207 times

Advertisements

Ok, I agree that perhaps I was a little too aggressive. One of the reasons you guys probably don't really hear about Pontilly and Gentilly Terrace, etc. is because it's very quiet around here, it barely makes news for anything and it isn't a spot that's overtaken by an influx of hip young folks.

Another issue is that it's majority african american and unfortunately, majority african american neighborhoods that aren't home to government leeches don't get much press in this town. All my neighbors are either young couples with one or two kids or retirees or on the verge of retirement. There's a few white people who live here, but they've been here since the 50's, there's only like one white couple in their 30's (that i know of) that lives here and they did an amazing job renovating their house.

I'll say about 65 % of the neighborhood is back, many properties are either razed or gutted, but they're cheap as hell and you would be in a neighborhood of quality people who for the most part stay to themselves, every year we have the Gentilly Festival at Ponchartrain park and it's a blast.

I just described Pontilly... Gentilly Terrace is more mixed and more historic, it's a nationally historic district and has some arts and crafts homes, the neighborhood looks more like an historic district in another city rather than your traditional new orleans one. With that being said, you get more house than in other areas of new orleans as well.

Both areas are close to schools (Ben franklin, UNO, SUNO, Brother Martin, Holy Cross) and grocery stores (Rouses, Winn Dixie, 3 walgreens, pj's coffee, fast food, etc.)...

The only thing I say is lacking is more restaurants, although Gentilly staples like Zimmers and Sammy's are fantastic and 100% untouched by tourists, they are CLEAN QUALITY neighborhood joints that are cheap and better than half of the crap that gets advertised.

We DO need more families moving back here, our mall is currently being bidded on to get rebuilt (gentilly woods shopping mall) but we need folks who are essentially going to come in and kinda start restaurants, little shops and stuff sort of like what happened in the Bywater and marigny but minus the crime those areas have by the locals that have always lived around there (especially bywater).

Hopefully I helped a few of you people out. Sorry for the big post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:14 PM

310 posts, read 769,127 times
Thank you. This is exactly what I was talking about. Now I know more about your neighborhood too.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 PM

391 posts, read 484,939 times
Why do people try to find a home with a garage in a city over a 100+ years old? If you show them a home with a garage they complain about cookie cutter neighborhoods? You have a simple problem called champagne taste with a beer budget. You going to pay butt load for home in a nice area in new orleans with a garage. period. When I say nice i mean walking distance to resources and surrounded by good schools.
The reason Calmdown's neighborhood is inexpensive is because they lack infastucture compared to more established neighborhoods. (I'm sure things will pick up when the golf course is built and more new construction is started in the area). When business start to see value in the neighborhood it will get more recognition. You can't really expect someone transferring to new city to live in a area surrounding by Flooded, Gutted, Dilapidated homes. That just don't make sense.

This another thing I don't understand:
Isn't New Orleans one of the few places where people who say they live in New Orleans actually live in the city. Everywhere I've been people say they live in the city but they really live in a small town 30 mins from the city. I know a few people who own or rent in Atlanta, Houston and Dallas and none of them stay in the city. This goes to my 1st point: there really ain't much to go around.

If you want to stay in New Orleans? If you want a detached or attached garage? If you want a neighborhood with no flooded or dilapated homes? And you want to spend under $200K? You have a tough home search on your hand.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 PM

Default Purchasing in Gentilly or Lakeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by dal2aus View Post
Anyone have ideas on the demand in some of the rebuilding areas of the city like Lakeview and Gentilly?
Lakeview:
Demand is very strong in Lakeview but it is almost impossible to purchase a home under $200,000. The inventory is very limited and I'm sure there are only 3 or 4 units on the market (homes or town homes).

Gentilly:
this is a very loosely used term to described a very large piece of land. You have several neighborhoods in this area and most of them max out @ $250,000. If you have plans of moving in a short period of time I look into the Gentilly Terrace or Filmore area.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM

30 posts, read 71,899 times
If you go to any real estate site, such as keller williams, or latter blum, you can easily find whats available in the areas you are interested. eg. lakeview has a lot more than 3-4 homes on the market.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 AM

Default Lakeview Homes under $200,000

It's 7 to be exact. Moderator cut: can only link to realtor.com

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-23-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM

145 posts, read 578,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
Why do people try to find a home with a garage in a city over a 100+ years old? If you show them a home with a garage they complain about cookie cutter neighborhoods? You have a simple problem called champagne taste with a beer budget. If you want to stay in New Orleans? If you want a detached or attached garage? If you want a neighborhood with no flooded or dilapated homes? And you want to spend under $200K? You have a tough home search on your hand.
Please keep in mind that I ask my question as someone whose only exposure to New Orleans is traveling between a hotel room and an office in the CBD. I'm completely uninitiated as to what to expect, and the sticker shock is overwhelming. In fact, it's not even my choice to move. I'm perfectly happy to stay in my 1850 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 5 year old red brick house with an automatic attached garage and large backyard that I purchased only 9 months ago for $180K in Jackson, MS, except that to do so means being unemployed in a bad job market.

This is a very stressful situation for my family and me, especially learning that our money won't go nearly as far as it does in Jackson, even before you factor in taxes & insurance (which are almost double what we currently pay), and the cost of private education for our future children. My budget is definitely more than beer, and my tastes are in line with what's affordable in most cities in America with less crime and stronger economies.

All I ask for is constructive advice to help us make the best decisions to adjust to our new life in New Orleans. I don't need the negativity.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,337,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dal2aus View Post
My budget is definitely more than beer, and my tastes are in line with what's affordable in most cities in America with less crime and stronger economies.
Maybe you should head to the suburbs. The COL for New Orleans is still below average (I still think that it's too high) unless you compare it to the south. The only reason cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc. are cheap is because they have beaucoup land to swallow up. That model becomes more and more unsustainable over time however. Maybe you should move to the Northshore, it would definitely ease the transition and minimize the culture shock as life in South Louisiana and life anywhere in Mississippi are like night and day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans