U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 AM

145 posts, read 578,505 times

Advertisements

I'm being transferred to New Orleans by my employer, and have been scouring the forums for the usual advice on where to live. Many of the threads are 2-3 years old with newcomers looking for similiar advice, but there's never any follow up on where they decided to live, or if they ever moved at all?

So, I'm looking for updates...all those who got advice (good or bad), did it help? Did you move to New Orleans, if so what area?

Most importantly, whether you moved or not, why/why not and are you happy with your decision?

Let's hear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:20 PM

311 posts, read 709,790 times
I think this forum is pretty helpful as far as areas to avoid, and with some suggested areas to live in. The common response to "where should I move" would be "give us more specifics". How much you want to spend, house vs. apartment, buy vs. rent, suburbs or city...all are important factors. I have been in New Orleans for about 3 months now, and I'm completely satisfied with my decision. Such a unique and interesting place with plenty to do. As for where I decided to live...I'm in the 'burbs...River Ridge, to be specific. I like it because it's quiet, but I'm within 5 minutes of good food, 15 minutes to good shopping, and 20 minutes from downtown. I'd love to live in the city, but I'd hate to add any more distance to my commute. I'd say the only thing that could be considered a deterrent would be if you're not used to high heat and humidity. Personally, it's not a big deal to me because it's basically like where I moved from, but if you aren't used to it it can be brutal. That being said, don't let it deter you...I hear the winters are awesome down here . Don't let negative City Data posts deter you. People visit the city once and think they are an expert on it. Don't let crime stats deter you. NOLA has its share of crime, but something you'll hear from just about everybody around here is that it's usually isolated to particular groups of people (drug users/dealers) and specific areas. It's like any other city...don't go looking for trouble or wonder into areas you aren't familiar with, and you'll be fine. If you have children, education is something to consider. Most residents will admit the poor quality of public education here; however there is always the private option. Hope this helps some. I'm no expert, but I found that it didn't take long for me to really love this city.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 AM

Thanks, that was very helpful. I've lived in MS for over a year now, originally from TX, so I'm accustomed to the heat & humidity. Before we moved to Jackson, MS, I saw the crime stats and almost didn't make the move. Now that we're here, it's very similar to what you've described in New Orleans. If you're looking for trouble, you'll find it, otherwise just practice basic common sense. The numbers are higher in NOLA than in Jackson, so it's still a concern.

My employer is HQ'd in New Orleans, so I've been there a handful of times, but never had the chance to explore the city beyond our offices in the CBD. I've considered River Ridge, but probably need to be closer to the city to shorten my commute. That being said, I am concerned about crime, home resale values, and skyhigh insurance rates like you might find closer in. Metairie and the West Bank seem ideal, but it seems odd to move to a city with the character of New Orleans and settle in a homogenous suburb you could find anywhere. So, obviously, I'm torn and am curious as to how things turned out for others who have been in my shoes.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,563,204 times
I didnt get too much help but here is the input I got...

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...lle-chase.html

Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 AM

Oildog, you actually had the same concern as I do regarding resale. My employer likes to transfer people around, so I need to know that I can quickly get out of my house if necessary. For instance, we bought our home in MS, thinking we would get at least 5 years, but here we are not even 1 year later, having to sell and move to NOLA.

I'm not worried about making a killing on resale value, I just want to know that the area is attractive enough to buyers so that I can sell in a decent amount of time and not lose my shirt. It seems like the best areas for resale are super-expensive (Uptown, Garden District) or in the suburbs (Metairie). Anyone have ideas on the demand in some of the rebuilding areas of the city like Lakeview and Gentilly?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 PM

30 posts, read 71,927 times
We moved here from Florida this summer. I was hoping I d fall in love with the city , as I really liked it during my first visit. But the novelty wore off, the cost of living is ridiculous. We now live in Uptown very close to the park, and it is a nice and safe area. But we pay 2.5 times what we paid in Tampa, Fl, for rent; and the house is really small with no parking... The forum has been somewhat helpful to me when I was searching for housing, but mostly I looked at crime maps and drove around to get a feel for the area..

Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 AM

268 posts, read 660,608 times
It's good to hear someone say this, about cost of living. NO used to be a fine place to live
and no more expensive than anywhere else. Then the storm came, and the insurance comp-
anies not only ripped thousands of people off with this "flood, not storm" technicality, but they
are raping everyone going forward, behaving as if they had lost their shirt in the storm. If any-
thing, they got a whole new wardrobe. Any shirt losing they claim is due to bad management of
assets accumulated. They had more than enough money to pay all the claims, but they spent
it on other things, bad investments, high salaries, etc. So now everybody pays, for everything.
In fact, the old red-beans on Monday lifestyle was pretty cheap in my day down there. Life
was fine. The Enron debacle led to the lifting of the veil on Wall St, then you KNOW what hap-
pened after that. Life got expensive everywhere.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 AM

38 posts, read 83,802 times
Expensive is relative to what you're used to. Coming from Manhattan cost of living is roughly half (rent, groceries, bars, restaurants) but New Orleans still offers a lot of city amenities (plus you can have a car!).

Comparing New Orleans to the town of 100k where I grew up or the rest of the Gulf Coast, yeah it's more expensive. It's all relative to your expectations.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 AM

30 posts, read 71,927 times
I think its way overpriced for what it has to offer to families ... which is not much really.. We lived in many parts of the country, big and small, and its different everywhere ... So I dont have any expectations for any particular place, including this one... just trying to go with the flow...
Here ... its just too much headache to worry about the basics, such as utilities, schools, parking, etc etc...
My good neighbor told me ... You are gonna love this place... you can go feed ducks with your child at the park, we have a playground and restaurants are nearby you can walk there... ... and I m thinking ... is he for real..? ?? has he been anywhere else in this country?? that was really funny..

Old 09-05-2010, 06:00 PM

311 posts, read 709,790 times
New Orleans is what you make it. I'm a recent college grad from a rural Midwestern community starting my career down here, and I'm loving life right now . It's what you make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans