Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times

Advertisements

Okay, I work in the least convenient location ever, Michoud, on the NASA facility. I had ruled out the West Bank, though I love Algiers Point, as an impossible commute. Now someone tells me that there is a Chalmette ferry to Paris Rd, which (if there was a car involved) might not be such a bad thing.
I did a Google search to confirm this existence and found that it does indeed operate, but couldn't see a schedule. I also determined that it sets off from Old Aurora (not Algiers Point) and being an ignorant transplant, I have no idea where that is or what that area is like.

Can someone shed some light on this? Did I dismiss the West Bank too quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
I forgot that they had that. But it is called the Lower Algiers / Chalmette ferry ( La DOTD - Ferry Status ). But that would still be a lot of work to get to Michoud because that ferry probably takes for ever. Old Aurora is just a suburb type neighborhood at the other end of Algiers before the canal. If you do google directions taking the the bridge from Algiers point is 19 miles/28 minutes and taking the ferry is 14 miles/51 minutes(which is still a lot of miles) depending on traffic and if this is correct. I think it would be a lot easier to just stick to the Eastbank.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 05-01-2012 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
And that ferry doesn't run if there is heavy fog on the river.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
A good rule of thumb when moving to New Orleans: Don't commute across the river unless you absolutely have to.

If you prefer something more suburban, look at Gentilly. There is a great bus line that runs out to Michoud from there should you ever need it.

If you want something more urban, then check out Mid-City near N Carrollton or Faubourg St. John around the end of Esplanade Ave. For something a little more "hip", check out Bywater.

Commutes from any of these neighborhoods will be a relatively easy (~10mi and ~25min).

NO East is even closer and has some okay spots, but the problem is that there is not a lot to do out there and not a lot of commerce. You'll end up driving over to other parts of the city when you want to go do something thereby negating your shorter commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans