U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM

60 posts, read 113,255 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Sorry the post is long. I am being considered for a job in NO. If I get it, I would need to move in a short period of time. I read all the threads going back to 2009 so I have a basic understanding of the living/renting/location situation. My questions are asking for more specific info. pertaining to my situation. I appreciate any time/advice you can offer. I go into specifics questions. The basic question is this:

Where would you suggest I live that would be safe for walking the dog at night, no more than $1000/mo (preferably less), have off-street parking, have "charming" character and be pretty easy access to Greater New Orleans and Lee Circle area
?

I am a 30 y.o single female. Safety is of the utmost importance, followed by convenience and budget, followed by the desire to get the new orleans experience (which still ranks pretty high on the list). I would LOVE to get a rental that has a lot of character and charm.

Regarding safety, I walk my dog so I want a place I can do this without worrying. I would like to continue being able to feel safe walking her at 11pm when its hot outside like I do now. Maybe this is not a good idea anywhere in NO. I have no idea.

My job would have me traveling around new orleans on a regular basis. I would also be going to a location near Lee Circle frequently. I will have a car.

I considered the French Quarter but I think parking/traffic would make this unwise for me.

Broadmoor sounds appealing. Would this be the safe area I am looking for? Most posts seem to say plan on $1,000/mo for a good place in a good location. Craigslist has a lot of Broadmoor rentals in the $750-950 range. Is there something I should know about rentals in that price range in Broadmoor? Are all parts of Broadmoor equally good/safe?

The CBD area looks good too. I do want to keep my rental on the lower cost side. I currently pay $650 a month where I am now and my salary was about the same as it would be in this position. Plus, I am frugal. I'm not sure I can do that in this area.

Mid City area seems hit or miss safety-wise so I crossed it off the list though I'd love to hear from you if you think it is still worth considering.

I saw a CL post for a rental near [SIZE=-1]Magazine St. and Race St.[/SIZE] It sounded appealing. Would this be a good location? What neighborhood would that be?

Are rentals with pool access hard to come by?

Just what is a shotgun/half shotgun double? It seems like part of a house divided for renting? Anything I should know about renting these?

It seems NO has less pet friendly rentals. I'm guessing this is because there are less apt. complexes and more independent landlords. I have 3 cats and one 14 pound dog. At my current apt complex I just said I have 1 cat, 1 dog because they only allow 2. I'd probably have to say that again. I don't think any landlord would want 4 pets in their property though mine are well trained. Would I have a big hurdle finding a good rental quickly considering I have pets? I will probably need to move in a very short time frame (a week or two)

Where would you suggest I live that would be safe for walking the dog at night, no more than $1000/mo (preferably less), have off-street parking, have "charming" character and be pretty easy access to Greater New Orleans and Lee Circle area
?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,047,932 times
Race and Mag isn't bad (its not great either) although I'd live in that area if given the opportunity, I love the Lower Garden District.

I'm not a fan of Broadmoor if only because it tends to flash flood there easily.

A half a shotgun is just a late 19th century, early 20th century duplex for all practical purposes.

You won't get off street parking (more than likely). That's just part of living here.

If you want to PM me I can try to scout a few places for you

-34 yr old female living Uptown

Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,895,281 times
A shotgun double is half of a house, usually 1-story, divided front to back. You could literally shoot a shotgun in the front door and have the shot go out the back door. In traditional New Orleans-ese, a duplex is a house divided by floor, one part being the first floor and the other being the second floor.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Well when I've lived elsewhere especially in college towns you had houses split in two like shotguns here..and everyone called them duplexes.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Thank you for the clarification on the shotgun terminology.

What neighborhoods/areas do you recommend based on my needs? Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,895,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Well when I've lived elsewhere especially in college towns you had houses split in two like shotguns here..and everyone called them duplexes.
Ummm, that's why I said "in New Orleans-ese." It's an old distinction that is slowly being lost with so many newcomers in town.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyview22 View Post
Thank you for the clarification on the shotgun terminology.

What neighborhoods/areas do you recommend based on my needs? Thanks again.

Its not that simple. There are good parts and bad parts of each neighborhood....

This is a bad generalization but stay between Mag and St. Charles between say Race and Louisiana. After that Napoleon to Jefferson Ave. river to St. Charles is generally ok (more or less...I'd live in those areas anyhow).

That's a big generalization....but that's a good place to start.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 PM

Thank you...that helps a lot.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,270 times
As a newcomer, I wouldn't move to Mid-City. I have lived here off and on my whole life, and I would move in, but as someone still finding their way it isn't smart. I find we're in control of 95% of what happens to us with crime, and that "clueless" or "newcomer" vibe can really hurt you. Broadmoor is pretty but its not far from really bad areas, and here's some food for thought: 100+ years ago people from Uptown proper would go fishing in the marsh now known as Broadmoor, so thats really low-lying. This city (outside of the riverfront and quarter) was built from draining the swamp, which is why so much is below sea-level. If you need a good general area that is safe, I would say anywhere between St. Charles and Magazine from Louisiana Ave towards Audubon Park and Carrolton is safe. And rents have been going down, you'll do just fine on $1,000 a month. Good luck

Old 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Thank you...I have my eye on an apartment in the area you described so that was good to hear. I probably won't get that particular apartment since I still need another round of interviews and the actual job offer but at least I know I am on the right track. thanks for the specifics--very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or