U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 01:10 PM

18 posts, read 31,058 times

Advertisements

We were planning to move to Portland, OR area next year but have decided I need to finish my degree first because the job market is so competitive there. I will be attending Delgado in New Orleans for 16 months to finish my degree (closest accredited school for my specialty) and currently live an hour and 15 minutes away from there without traffic. So we have decided to rent a place in Metairie for that time so that I won't have to commute back and forth and be away from my family for so long. This will also hopefully help us get acclimated to bigger city life so that we will be more ready for Portland.

Right now my son is in 1st grade and goes to a private Christian school that has a little over 150 students (PK-8th grade). Since I will be going back to college, we will be without one income in our family so I will not be able to afford to send him to private school. I've researched the schools and it seems that Metairie is a lot better off than New Orleans, as far as public schools go. I looked at Rudolph Matas and from what I see it looks like a great school and it's relatively small. Does anyone have any personal experiences with this school or know anyone who has? I also looked at Metairie Academy, again any experiences anyone? The problem I see with Rudolph Matas is that I don't see any places for rent within the boundaries. Does anyone know of any nice places for rent within the boundary for that school?

I greatly appreciate any advice or information that you provide me. I'm originally from Portland, OR and am not really familiar with New Orleans area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:59 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,895,281 times
My granddaughter went to Metairie Academy for almost 1 yr, before they moved to Dallas. The family was pleased with the school. However, it is competitive admission and too late for next year. Your child has to be tested and then wait for a place to open. I suppose someone could drop out right before school or early in the year. They start testing in the Spring, unless you want to pay for private testing (could be more than $1K, don't keep up with fees in the area).

I will say that in the 2 months she went to the public school in a Dallas suburb, she seemed to make more progress than she had in Metairie.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-07-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 PM

97 posts, read 234,509 times
My kids will be attending Metairie schools but don't be fooled. I've learned they
have really BAD schools out here these days post Katrina. My eldest is at Delgado
and he's experiencing culture shock to say the least. My dd will be at Meisler and I was
told it's one of the better but they have to wear clear bookbags (I wonder why!!!).

Old 09-07-2010, 06:19 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,270 times
Both Jefferson and Orleans Parishes have selective admissions public schools which are second to none. But you need to make sure you can get through whatever processes are required to get your children to schools like those. I think due to the "brain drain" caused by these selective schools, the regular district schools don't have too much to offer. But Jefferson's district schools are WAY better than Orleans. Do not, under any circumstances, take your kids to a Recovery School District school. Just don't. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or