Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 14,356 times

Advertisements

So when I was visiting New Orleans in July, it seemed like there were

HELP WANTED signs hanging in every window, service oriented jobs for

sure, but tons of them! Being that it was the "low season" I thought that

was pretty cool, if someone were looking for

an administrative/receptionist/assistant type job are these are

(seemingly) plentiful, I have checked classifieds, CL etc. but maybe

someone living in the community has a better feel for the employment

climate?

Any answers are certainly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 PM

258 posts, read 1,020,427 times
I've got a resume that speaks for itself and a college degree.
I haven't found anything yet, it's sad to say but the job market here isn't as easy as one would hope.
If you're willing to work in the service industry, you've got options, which I'm more than likely going to have to look into.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:56 AM

152 posts, read 479,668 times
Yeah oim getting pretty depressed about my options, or lack of options, post college in this city. There really isn't room for an intelligent college grad here unless you get a job through good ol'boy connections. I guess you could put those years of higher education to use bussing tables and spitting in ******* customers food... That's about all new orleans has to offer these days.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
The days are over when a college degree pretty much guaranteed a good job . Degrees are a dime a dozen among job applicants now . Experience goes a long way and you might have to start a little lower on the totem pole than you figured .

Old 05-31-2010, 06:04 PM

310 posts, read 854,486 times
It's not just New Orleans, it's everywhere. I have numerous friends with degrees who aren't working in the field they desired and mostly areas that don't require degrees - restaurants, hotels, etc. Heck, my last job was entry level and one used to be able to go into it right out of high school. No more - every one of us they hired had a college degree and it was a service industry-type job. I'd be willing to bet that out of every 10 applicants for what many see as a "menial" job, at least half have a degree. I'm back in school now because you seriously have to have a masters to get anywhere in my field and, unfortunately, that's becoming the trend. Even then, the job market stinks.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 PM

63 posts, read 165,667 times
NOLA is a service industry heavy city. it caters to tourists and nightlife and resturaunts are popular, so there are going to be many jobs in that area. i was also surprised when i first moved there... i moved there from cleveland where the economy is dying and jobs are scarce.

that being said, i imagine it is much harder to find a job outside of the service industry that uses a degree.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
I recently graduated from Tulane with honors...and I can't find a job...yet.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM

307 posts, read 802,262 times
I graduated in December. It took me about 4 1/2 months to find a job. I'm not from New Orleans and had no prior affiliation with the area, but here I am I guess. I am an Agribusiness major, FWIW.

Have heart, recent graduates. Something will come up, it just takes some time, and in my case the willingness to move away.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM

49 posts, read 135,513 times
I just moved here a few months ago. I am about to get a college degree in a few months and it's good to see that I am not the only one struggling to find meaningful work that will lead into a career. I can understand the depressing career climate in NOLA.

Here's my perspective on the city. I love the city and really want to love it, but it lacks in many areas. Here are my beefs with NOLA:

1. Lack of work ethic. Nobody wants to work, let alone work a little. They act annoyed when you start to take up too much of their time. People here think that it's always siesta and daiquiri time.

2. Lack of social responsibility. Businesspeople and others in positions of leadership have no concept of doing the right thing of following the law. They constantly abuse their power and the laws in this state benefit them over the consumer, employee, etc. You have to always remind these people what the law is so that you do not get ripped off. People in high positions care little about the little guy. The adage of kicking a dog while it's down certainly applies here. I can see why parts of NOLA have not rebounded since Katrina and never will.

3. Not open to outsiders. People are superficially friendly and warm, but they don't let you in. I observe that in order to be a part of something and have friends you have to be a fraternity or sorority member (judging by all the Greek letter T-shirts and car decals). It's very clannish here which I find restricting. There is too much self segregation. I notice that many businesses are unlisted and you have to find out about them through somebody. I've never seen such a thing.

4. Scamming and hustling are legitimate ways of operating a business. I went to work for a staffing agency where they tried to stiff me out of my wages. It was nightmare. I have been in other business situations where people have lied so much I don't know who or what I am dealing with. I went shopping for jumbo shrimp the other day and when I come home I see that smaller sized shrimp are mixed in with the jumbos. I had no way of knowing because they took their ice chest to the back to remove the shrimp. The shrimp on top all looked jumbo. That has never happened to me in all my years buying seafood. While this is minor compared to other scams, it's still wrong. Yes, there are liars everywhere, but these people are unreal. I'm shell shocked and I'm from LA, CA (a tough place).

5. Lack of respect for the handicapped in general. Never have I lived in a place where people routinely park in the handicapped section without having a permit without qualms. The attitude towards disabled students is deplorable. This place resembles a banana republic in the US and has more in common with Latin America (due to corruption, crime, poor leadership and low education attainment) than the US.

6. Strained race relations. I won't say that NOLA is Klan country, but there is an undercurrent of racism that shows up as white and black condescension towards other minority groups like Hispanics and white condescension towards blacks. It is an unspoken rule that every race has its 'place'. I notice that many blacks have a deferential attitude towards whites when I go shopping. When my turn comes they aren't so sweet and attentive with me. They are more cut and dry and casually friendly at best with me. I'm Hispanic.

I had nearly had a violent encounter with a drunk white couple who wanted to assault me because they didn't like my dogs and they wanted to start a dog fight with their pit. When I talked back to them and stayed firm they got so mad they almost beat me up. I called the police and one of the sheriff's was antagonistic towards me and talking to me in an accusatory tone. First he went to talk to them though I was the accusing party. It wasn't until he discovered that the man was on probation for a drug offense and saw that the woman was drunk and crazy that he decided to listen to me.

7. Crime People here are prone to violence and abuse in general with little provocation.

I have been here 3 months and this is most of what I've experienced. Maybe I've been unlucky, but once I leave NOLA I ain't comin' back. Parts of the city are beautiful and the city definitely has a character of its own. There is a lively music scene and other attractions that I have not been able to enjoy. If I can't get my practical matters in order how can I enjoy the sweet things that life has to offer? I'm a responsible person and believe that having my affairs in order comes before partying and getting plastered. There's always time for that.

Anyways, those are my 2 cents. I hope that my post helps somebody who is considering a move to New Orleans or assuages the ones who live here.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorada19 View Post
1. Lack of work ethic. Nobody wants to work, let alone work a little. They act annoyed when you start to take up too much of their time. People here think that it's always siesta and daiquiri time.

2. Lack of social responsibility. Businesspeople and others in positions of leadership have no concept of doing the right thing of following the law. They constantly abuse their power and the laws in this state benefit them over the consumer, employee, etc. You have to always remind these people what the law is so that you do not get ripped off. People in high positions care little about the little guy. The adage of kicking a dog while it's down certainly applies here. I can see why parts of NOLA have not rebounded since Katrina and never will.
These have truth to them. This behavior is prevelant in the city, but it doesn't dominate it.
Quote:
3. Not open to outsiders. People are superficially friendly and warm, but they don't let you in. I observe that in order to be a part of something and have friends you have to be a fraternity or sorority member (judging by all the Greek letter T-shirts and car decals). It's very clannish here which I find restricting. There is too much self segregation. I notice that many businesses are unlisted and you have to find out about them through somebody. I've never seen such a thing.
By the sound of that, you need to leave the University area/Uptown. Most of the people in the city who act this way are transplants and college students from out of town, at least those that I've encountered.
Quote:
4. Scamming and hustling are legitimate ways of operating a business. I went to work for a staffing agency where they tried to stiff me out of my wages. It was nightmare. I have been in other business situations where people have lied so much I don't know who or what I am dealing with. I went shopping for jumbo shrimp the other day and when I come home I see that smaller sized shrimp are mixed in with the jumbos. I had no way of knowing because they took their ice chest to the back to remove the shrimp. The shrimp on top all looked jumbo. That has never happened to me in all my years buying seafood. While this is minor compared to other scams, it's still wrong. Yes, there are liars everywhere, but these people are unreal. I'm shell shocked and I'm from LA, CA (a tough place).
Like you said, there are liars everywhere. All of these things could happen anywhere. It seems like you're having a bad streak of luck.
Quote:
5. Lack of respect for the handicapped in general. Never have I lived in a place where people routinely park in the handicapped section without having a permit without qualms. The attitude towards disabled students is deplorable. This place resembles a banana republic in the US and has more in common with Latin America (due to corruption, crime, poor leadership and low education attainment) than the US.
Once again, I don't see people breaking handicap laws here no more than anywhere else I've been. As far as students, I can't directly speak on that.
Are you experiencing these things throughout the city or in a specific area?
Quote:
6. Strained race relations. I won't say that NOLA is Klan country, but there is an undercurrent of racism that shows up as white and black condescension towards other minority groups like Hispanics and white condescension towards blacks. It is an unspoken rule that every race has its 'place'. I notice that many blacks have a deferential attitude towards whites when I go shopping. When my turn comes they aren't so sweet and attentive with me. They are more cut and dry and casually friendly at best with me. I'm Hispanic.
New Orleans is probably has the best racial relationships than other place in Louisiana or the south, particularly among black and whites. Most Hispanic (except Mexicans) groups blend in good as well since they've been here for generations. The only time black/white tension becomes a serious issue is when politics/power get involved. The only serious strain I've seen lately has been with the Mexican population since they appeared en masse overnight after the storm.
Quote:
I had nearly had a violent encounter with a drunk white couple who wanted to assault me because they didn't like my dogs and they wanted to start a dog fight with their pit. When I talked back to them and stayed firm they got so mad they almost beat me up. I called the police and one of the sheriff's was antagonistic towards me and talking to me in an accusatory tone. First he went to talk to them though I was the accusing party. It wasn't until he discovered that the man was on probation for a drug offense and saw that the woman was drunk and crazy that he decided to listen to me.
There's no excuse for that. That's horrible, for lack of better word. You seem to really be having a rough time here.
Quote:
7. Crime People here are prone to violence and abuse in general with little provocation.
Sadly, people are used to it depending on what are they live in and what they've been exposed to.
---------------------------------

I don't know your situation, but it seems like you've been having horrible luck here. It seems like you've been confined mainly to one area, maybe not, but if so I'd advice you to move around and get a feel for other parts of the city. As you should know there could be a difference of night and day between 3 blocks. If not then maybe New Orleans just isn't for you. In that case good luck where ever you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans