Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 28,621 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am a 22 y/o white male from the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains (East TN to be exact). Although it's beautiful here, my boyfriend and I have both realized that there's nothing left for us in TN, and the time has come for us to move to larger metropolitan area for more cultural, economic and social opportunities. We are both nearly finished with our college careers and are hoping to move some time next year, and New Orleans is the top spot on our list.

I was wondering if anybody could give us some advice as to what neighborhoods to choose. My boyfriend will be looking for work in Social Work, and I will be looking for work in education, so we will be on a budget, but are hoping to find a modest one or two bedroom house in the city. We're looking for a nice, safe neighborhood that's either close to public transit or within walking distance to the French Quarter or Elysian Fields. So far, we've been told that Algiers or the West Bank would be our best bet, but this advice came from people who have not lived in the city since Hurricane Katrina and told us that it could be totally different now.

We've also heard that the area around Tulane is very nice, but in all likelihood we will not be able to afford this area.

Also, we will not be looking in Metairie or Jefferson Parish...we would rather be closer to the city center.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
I understand your situation! I am a teacher paying off debts and my girlfriend is in law school, we're not wealthy! I think if yall set your budget at $1,000 a month you will be all set. I hope thats not too much, because otherwise you may be rolling the dice with the quality of the neighborhood and the landlord if you want to stay in the city. You can find cheaper than 1,000 but you want that much money to have options. We found an old historic 1 BR on St. Charles Ave for $750. The west bank is all Jefferson Parish aside from the sliver of land known as Algiers (part of New Orleans city limits). It is not any more convienent or difficult than Metairie, so if you don't wanna live in the 'burbs I wouldn't fool with it at all. Public transit blows there.

The University area actually isn't that expensive compared to a lot of other spots Uptown, so in fact that may be a really good place to look. Since yall are young you certainly will fit in the area. Uptown really is the best place to live, it has so much going on and has a great mix of residential and commerical right smack in the city and close to downtown. If you insist on being near the French Quarter you can check out the Maringy, but I feel as though it can be little dodgier, and its not cheaper than Uptown for the most part. Mid-City is another option, but it's very block by block. If the area looks trashy it probably is.

I understand why you want to leave east TN, I have friends in Lexington KY and it's such a beautiful area, but... there is more to life than that!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM

104 posts, read 476,487 times
the above is good advice.

Algiers Point (west bank) has its charm, but unless you're walking down to the ferry for your commute into the cbd (which you will not likely do), you'll have to fight the bridge traffic and there are more decent rental properties on the east bank. I grew up in Algiers and it has changed much since the storm, and mostly for the worse.
I/we will have to ask: why Elysian Fields? (that's an x-factor); if you really want to be close to that, you'll have to be in more marginal neighborhoods (though great ones at that, all things considered). as I say on almost all of these "where should I live?" threads, you need to come visit and get a feel for the place to know what your tolerance for living "on the edge" will be--everyone' s edge is different.

uptown, magazine, carrollton and broadmoor are uptown neighborhoods you should check out; downriver from the quarter would be the bywater and marigny--and certainly don't dimiss mid-city either.
they all have different flavors.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times
Wow . If it were possible , my wife and I would move to the Appalachian Mts . Different strokes , eh ?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Wow . If it were possible , my wife and I would move to the Appalachian Mts . Different strokes , eh ?
We could arrange a trade if you like!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 PM

Thank y'all for the terrific advice! Yes, we are trying to keep our budget around $1,000 for a one bedroom in the city. I am so glad to hear that the University area isn't that expensive compared to other Uptown neighborhoods! This has been one of our favorite spots that we've found online, especially the East Carrollton neighborhood.

At first, we thought we wanted to be near Elysian Fields...my boyfriend has been to NOLA a couple times and remembers this area as being the "gayborhood" of New Orleans, and that sounds so appealing coming from a town where we get hideous stares for just looking at each other a certain way in public. But after some further research, it is no longer a priority to be on that side of town.

We will be making a trip down there either around Halloween or at the beginning of next year, though probably not during Mardi Gras I have never been to New Orleans and I would like to see what the REAL New Orleans is like, and I understand that it will not be Mardi Gras 24/7. During our time in New Orleans we will certainly check out the aformentioned neighborhoods to see which ones feel right for us.

Thanks again, everybody! You have been most helpful!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Good luck! Don't be concerned about being in a gay-heavy area, this entire city will be tolerant towards yall. Of course you have a few jacka$$es, but it's not like you will be shunned in one area and not the other.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:34 PM

I am starting to get excited about our upcoming trip down, I can't wait to fall in love with New Orleans

Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 PM

OK everybody, we have been doing our research for the past few days, and it looks like we've narrowed down our choices to either Broadmoor, East Carrollton or Touro. We have a friend who is visiting NOLA as we speak and she is checking out these spots for us, and my boyfriend and I will be checking out these neighborhoods when we make our trip down. We would have never even looked in these neighborhoods hadn't it been for the help provided by y'all. Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
Touro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans