U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,363 times

Advertisements

we moved here in the summer of '06. most buildings were boarded up, there was one grocery store for this part of town, huge trash bins lined the streets and smelled even more than the pee, rats scampered down the alleys.....but these were simply inconveniences, and we knew it would all get fixed. but we were so happy to be here! afterall, we had just spent 3 years in los angeles. all i have to say to you is "whatever".

Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 AM

6 posts, read 13,910 times
Some people can make Hell out of Heaven if they try hard enough.

Instead of saying that California is better than New Orleans (which is totally base and untrue in so many ways) you can just simply say that you and New Orleans have grown apart.

As someone who was born and raised in California myself (in Stockton, no less, which was one of the cities mentioned as an example) I can definitely say that I don't share the sentiment that California is better than any other place. Every place has its pros and cons.

Someday I'd actually like to make a reverse trip from the one the person that started this thread has made. But I won't go bashing on California when I leave. We've had our good times and our bad times, our ups and downs. I'll always cherish the memories I've made and the family and friends I have in Cali, but I'd like to part from her gracefully.

Some people dream of Hollywood and Golden Gate bridges...and others dream of antebellum architecture and sultry jazz It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,359,169 times
SeptemberRays:

Are you a teacher? A student?

You lived in New Orleans when you were still too young to take notice of such things, but New Orleans is not concerned about "political correctedness", and that is one of the things that I like about it. Things are done and accepted there that are not accepted anywhere else, be it culture or lifestyle, for the most part "they" don't give a rip.

Personally, I don't care if people smoke outside, and this comes from a non-smoking Pacific Northwesterner.

Immigration (I assume you mean illegal immigration) is rampant in every state, I believe, and I don't like it either. I've read that it has increased a lot in New Orleans post-Katrina, which tells me that the city has been late in adopting them. But I spent most of my life in California and still have strong enough ties there to enable me to move back, so I'm well-aware of the out-of-control immigration problem there.

I don't really think you're wrong to feel the way you do ~ you simply adapted well to life away from NOLA, and you have found out (in the best way) that it is not for you anymore.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberRays View Post
I've been here two weeks and I am constantly shaking my head and trying NOT to compare this backwoods place to California.

The latest today. TEACHERS standing outside of the school smoking. That would never happen in California and my friend assured me of the same in Texas. When I asked the office personnel if staff can smoke she informed me yes but not in the building...outside the building is ok. When I told her you can still SMELL the smoke in the air since they're doing it in front of the school she just gave me a look.

Because teachers smoke outside, that makes this place full of hicks? Interesting.

I have lived in SF, DC, Chicago, NYC, etc. Allow me to assure you that people smoke outside of schools, hospitals, restaurants, stores, coffee houses, auto shops, spas, salons, and just about anywhere else you can name in all of those cities. I doubt that anyone would cite the "backwoods hick" flavor of any of those towns. I am not a smoker, but don't understand the logic.

I think its fantastic that you found a place to call home. Sometimes we need to strike out on our own to find the location where we really feel we "fit". I applaud your gumption. But as a current New Orleans resident, I think its patently unfair to characterize the entire city in such a way. To me, this place has a unique flavor that is a lot more diverse and cosmopolitan than many similarly sized cities. I have met tons of educated people from all over the world in my short time living here. Like any city, there are also a fair amount of less sophisticated residents-- sometimes that is due to lack of access to resources or longstanding poverty. That doesn't mean these people are automatically "hicks".

The longer you live in CA, particularly SoCal, you will undoubtedly uncover things you don't like about that population. You mentioned immigration-- my best friend grew up in San Diego (born and raised) and was the only caucasian person in her entire elementary school through fourth grade. CA is not a state that refuses immigrants or prides itself on its homogeneity. Often, the immigrant communities preserve a lot of their ethnic traditions and fail to integrate readily to the "American" way of life. (This isn't a judgement.) Do you call them names because they aren't as cosmopolitan, because they have accents or habits different from yours? I doubt it.

Really, what I am most impressed by is the resilience of the New Orleans population. This is a town that has undergone THE WORST natural disaster in US history with little support from Uncle Sam. The people who are in New Orleans are here because they want to be. They believe in this place, understand how unique it is, and are committed to rebuilding from the ashes. I frankly admire that spirit. For my money, this place is the most unique in the US. Its not comparable to any other city culturally, geographically or historically. I think its got some real magic to it. I am sorry you disagree. I wish you the best.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 PM

460 posts, read 546,509 times
Quote:
I've been here two weeks and I am constantly shaking my head and trying NOT to compare this backwoods place to California...

I was BORN and RAISED here until 21 so I know what this city used to be like. You would have to be mentally depraved to CHOOSE to live here and educate your kids in this hell hole.

I was BORN and RAISED here until 21 as well. I am now at a university in Manhattan. I've been all over the country, including D.C., Chicago, LA, Houston, Miami, and a number of others for less time.

I think you're an idiot.

P.S. In my personal opinion New Orleans has only gotten better since Katrina.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,151,813 times
NOLA is coming back stronger than ever.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 PM

600 posts, read 918,308 times
I'm an immigrant. Do I need an immunization?

SRSLY, wow, OP, ignorant much? NOLA is miles ahead of Cali. Better quality of life. World-class culture. And if we come down to it: Hurricanes vs earthquakes.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM

268 posts, read 660,328 times
WOW dude, you really have issues. I think you should go back home.

The roads in New Orleans have been crap since the dawn of the wheel.
It's cause it's built on a swamp.

If you need teachers that are like California teachers, move to California.

New Orleans was built by Immigrants, as much as New York. There have been immigrants here since it was
nothing but indians and pirates. Immunizations are important in even a homogeneous society.

And if you really must go because it's not like you remember, by all means, MIND THE DOOR on your way out.

Quote:
I've been here two weeks and I am constantly shaking my head and trying NOT to compare this backwoods place to California.

The latest today. TEACHERS standing outside of the school smoking. That would never happen in California and my friend assured me of the same in Texas. When I asked the office personnel if staff can smoke she informed me yes but not in the building...outside the building is ok. When I told her you can still SMELL the smoke in the air since they're doing it in front of the school she just gave me a look.

The streets are atrocious still post Katrina - get ready to get some tires.

The demographics have changed so get ready to need more IMMUNIZATIONS for your children due to the immigrant influx.

I KNOW I cannot compare this place to California by any stretch of the imagination but I would strongly URGE anyone considering a move here to SERIOUSLY think it over. I am only here temporarily (God say the same) - a month at most then I'm OUT of here.

I was BORN and RAISED here until 21 so I know what this city used to be like. You would have to be mentally depraved to CHOOSE to live here and educate your kids in this hell hole. Sorry, I'll always have love for the city but this place is through.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM

268 posts, read 660,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
This is a town that has undergone THE WORST natural disaster in US history with little support from Uncle Sam. The people who are in New Orleans are here because they want to be. .
Nice to read this.....you talk to anyone outside the gulf about Katrina, and not only do their eyes glaze over,
they legitimately believe the government backed up the Brinks truck and dumped it on NO and the Gulf Coast of MS.
They BARELY MADE GOOD ON ANYTHING, and that that was gotten was fought for until people were blue in the face
with beauracracy. And then it happened AGAIN! BP is trying to weasel out of most of the promises IT MADE and are
fighting everyone but the govt tooth and nail. YOU KNOW WHY? Cause the govt is the only one that can hurt em.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 14,263 times
Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans