U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,051,962 times

Advertisements

Now let me preface by stating I don't look like a geek (I don't think) however scifi (and some of the goth subculture) has been my secret little love for some time. I went to DragonCon in Atlanta this last weekend and had a fantastic time!

It was a bit like Mardi Gras for geeks (parties, meetings, games, drinking, more parties). I even saw LSU fans in town for the game who picked up con passes (and who appeared to be having a good time, especially if they were from the New Orleans area).

Is this something that the New Orleans area could support and get behind? I know there was a scifi con in Metairie in the 80s and 90s called, Crescent City Con (but it wasn't anything like DragonCon from what I understand).

I don't have a background in promotion...but I do have a background in politics, and it seems like the city would be a perfect fit for something like this...Would anyone here actually go?

Here are a few vids from last weekend

YouTube - big crowds at Dragon Con 2010

YouTube - Rave at Dragon Con 2010: Just a sample

YouTube - DRAGON CON 2010 STREET PARTY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:00 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,993,646 times
I went to DEFCON when I lived in Austin years ago but that isn't even close to the same group of geeks.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,174 times
I have heard that there is supposed to be a SF convention starting in 2011 called Contraflow, but I don't know much about it. There is BabelCon in Baton Rouge, but I personally haven't been and I'm sure it's not quite to the scale of D*Con. There's also Mechacon, but that's more anime focused. If you're just looking for geeky friends in the city and surrounding area, then *wave* nice to meet you!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 PM

I looked at CONtraflow...they seem ok, but I'm aiming for something that's more party oriented (and on the Eastbank).

And I'm always looking for new geeky friends

Old 11-02-2010, 03:35 PM

12 posts, read 30,526 times
You'd think a place like New Orleans would get all over something like that. Should be enough goth and sci-fi culture around here to support it, and there's always plenty of people willing to travel here to boost the numbers, if only for the party. I hope they do get something like that going, I'd be front of the line for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Any scifi/fantasy/goth/steampunk/gaming/something/something geeks in the city?-1285779810126.jpg  

Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 AM

7 posts, read 18,769 times
Honestly, MechaCon was kinda sub-par to begin with, sure there were panels/events/etc but nothing came even close to the level of DragonCon. What's more, nerd-types don't always mesh very well with the sort of extroverted flair of New Orleans - many just don't know how to properly enjoy the city.

Now the city has a definite draw for the goth-types and related "dark" subcultures, but it seems pretty clique-ish and you definitely have to know the right people to get into anything really cool. If you're really into the whole vampire thing, last I checked the Camarilla LARP group is still going strong. Google 'em, they're still going in the area. Just watch out for tourist traps!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Yeah I'm over the whole Vampire thing. I love scifi but then again I'm not an introverted basement geek either (I'm all about breaking stereotypes!)

Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,615,977 times
Ooh, I'd do a sifi/fantasy/goth/steampunk/gaming/ something geek thing! Then again I'd do anything where I'm allowed to wear a costume. I'm a costume lovin' geek. Heck, I do some of my Christmas shopping at the Louisiana Ren Fest, just for an excuse to put on the ole wench duds and carry a cute little basket to market. You may not be surprised what you can do, the guy who started the LARF, (Rick@larf.org), went to the Texas Ren Fest, (it's huge), and fell in love and say, "man, we have got to have one of these in Louisiana." It started out small, and has grown every year. If you are really interested in starting something I'll bet that guy Rick from LARF could offer you a few pointers. Then there are the people with NOLA Pyrate Week, (NOLA Pyrate Week), they started from scratch as well, and could offer up a few pointers as well.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,247 times
Disclaimer: I've been to Dragoncon twice, in the late 90's, and found it fun and exciting, but lacking in many of the things that I enjoy about cons, of which I have attended over 100 so far.
A convention the size of Dragoncon, which is only rivaled or excelled by San Diego Comicon, is rare indeed and takes years to work up to. Dragoncon has been going on for more than 20 years and was much, much smaller to start with. I've seen people try to copy Dragoncon and fail spectacularly one after another and failure like that is very expensive. I've been attending and working at science fiction conventions for about 27 years and, if Dragoncon is your standard, the overwhelming majority of sci fi conventions will never be to your liking. Every big city can't have a Dragoncon much in the same way that Christmas can't come every month. There's only so much expense and effort the economy and the people who make it up can afford. It's only a tiny handful of cons that turn a real profit. All the others are run by volunteers who do it for sake of cons and fandom. There are cases in which the con is indeed a product turned out by a company that you can just buy tickets to, but they're purely commercial ventures that travel from city to city, like the Wizard World Comicon that was in town a week ago. In sum, if you want a convention of a particular kind to come in being, then the only way to do it is to get involved in fan organizations, work for cons to learn how to do it (people who try to start their own cons without getting their feet wet at other cons first also tend to fail spectacularly and expensively), build up a corp of folks who want to work with you on the same kind of con you want, raise capital and take your chance.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,247 times
Oh, and by the way, if you're looking for more geeky friends, you might want to check out Area 504, our local, general sci fi club. We're getting together this Saturday, the 19th, at Schiro's Community Cafe in Marigny, 5pm, for dinner and viewing of Krewe du Vieux, one of the things we do every year. You can get an idea of what we're like and what stuff we'll be doing in the near future at our web site, area504.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans