U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 PM

6 posts, read 28,021 times

Advertisements

Me, my girlfriend and my cousin are all looking at apartments in New Orleans. Were looking for a decent cheap price range 2 bedroom (700-1000) but still close to public transport in the city. But the kicker is we'd love to live somewhere where were not the young punk kids on the block but a place where youth and art is commonplace. Thanks for any help at all guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,142,480 times
You're pretty much good to go here. New Orleans is quite simply a very young city, between all of the universities and the economic stability has made this place a popular spot for young transplants. Not to mention the people here to help rebuild, though many of them are more temporary.

The Uptown area of course is filled with families and older people, but certain sections are brimming with youth. Around the Tulane/Loyola area it's of course filled with young people. Key streets in the area are Broadway, Palmer, St. Charles in front of the campus, Freret, etc continuing into the Carrolton area. If you are more on the preppy side you will like this area, rubbing elbows with college kids from all over the country. In fact, riding down Broadway looking at the license plates you'll have no idea that you are in Louisiana. You see much more New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, Florida, etc plates.

The other side of Uptown (heading downtown) is a little rougher around the edges, and some neighborhoods have just recently turned into hot spots. Magazine Street past Louisiana Avenue heading downtown is the main artery here. This area is sometimes called the Irish Channel and has a great deal of charm on the cheap. This is more a hipster-ish neighborhood, but it seems welcoming to all. I would advise a roommate for this area as it is a tad bit grittier at times (but worth it).

In the downtown area, on the other side of French Quarter, is an area known as the Marigny. The main drags here are Esplanade Ave. and the famous Frenchman Street, the live music strip. This is hipster central, and if you are really prep you may very well feel out of place. I am an Uptowner and whenever I go to Frenchman and walk around I sort of feel as though I am visiting a different city. The two neighborhoods can be that different. This area has been popular with young people for a long, long time but it keeps a pretty rough around the edges feel. I echo what I said about the Irish Channel in terms of safety.

Your price range will get you something nice. Rents are going down. As far as public transportation goes, it was better pre-Katrina when we had a higher population and a larger car-less demographic, but it's still good for a medium sized city. Don't expect New York frequency and efficiency. You may want to get a bike or keep some money saved for cabs here and there, but all the neighborhoods I mentioned are served by public transit. Good luck and I hope yall move here! New Orleanians love showing people our city and we welcome newcomers, assuming they can adapt to the vibe down here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans