Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,125 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation...we went to NOLA for 8 days and fell in love with the city and the people there. So much so that we (my wife and I) want to move there. I am a truck driver who is in La. all of the time delivering and picking up to go all over tis country so it wouldn't be a problem for me...my wife is an artist (painter) that could use some NOLA inspiration to get her in gear again and start wetting some canvas with oils. I think the move there would do us BOTH good. Im also thinking about opening a restaurant there within 5 years (its in my 5 year plan).

What kind of places are in the Quarter to live? How expensive is it there in the Quarter for rent? Like I said, my wife is the artsy one and would thrive in the Quarter which is why Im thinking about there. What are the positives and negates of living in the FQ?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,015,844 times
Positives: You are in the center of it all. It's an area as lively as New York City. Most of the architecture is absolutely beautiful, and there is a heavy police presence to keep the tourists safe.

Negatives: Parking is horrendous. You can walk everywhere in the French Quarter but there is no supermarket there, only corner stores with very very limited selction. The rents would be more expensive for a lot less space. $1,000 for a studio if you're lucky. (cheaper outside of the French Quarter) The majority of people you see will be tourists, sure people live there and you will make friends but it certainly is not a localized neighborhood.

The Faubourg Maringy (Esplande Ave, Frenchman St, river side of Elysian Fields) immediately borders the French Quarter and encompasses a lot of the same vibe and historical architecture but has more of a "neighborhood" feel. And cheaper rents.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Immediately bordering wouldn't be bad for us, I dont think...Ive been down Frenchman (got my tattoo at Electric Ladyland), and Esplande...are the apartments decent there? Would there possibly be houses that may be for rent there or just apartments? Grocery stores, Dr's, etc. close to those areas?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,458,009 times
As far as supermarkets, there's a Rouses in the Quarter on Royal and St. Ann. Other than that I pretty much agree. Rents will be higher (rents in New Orleans are high in general), but you may find a deal on Craigslist. The one thing to realize is that living in New Orleans and visiting New Orleans are two completely different things.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
living in New Orleans and visiting New Orleans are two completely different things.
It's like that no matter what city it is...I agree. But, we both love the city and the people and the art scene is just awesome. I realize that living there doesn't mean hitting Bourbon St. every day like visiting, but we didn't do that either.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:07 PM

310 posts, read 852,821 times
Depending on the kind of place in the Quarter, it's not at all uncommon to see a very small one bedroom running $2,000/month. That probably doesn't include utilities and most likely doesn't include parking. The crowd will be mainly tourists in the Quarter (which can get frustrating once you've been here a few years) and it can be difficult to maneuver around if you have vehicles. I would also suggest the Marigny. I have a group of artist friends who all live there. Their rents are cheaper too - if you're paying $2,000/month in the Marigny, you're at least getting a bigger space. My one friend also has a small space to park her car and if you're okay with walking, you can still get to the Quarter on foot.

Edit: Remember that overall cost of living is higher too. The city itself isn't that bad, but make sure you research your insurances and utilities before making your decision. That in itself is a terrible shock.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,458,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckingtiger View Post
It's like that no matter what city it is...I agree. But, we both love the city and the people and the art scene is just awesome. I realize that living there doesn't mean hitting Bourbon St. every day like visiting, but we didn't do that either.
Oh, I understand. I just felt the need to point that out because so many move here thinking it was going to be some enchanted land that they fell in love with during a carriage tour or streetcar ride, but once they realize that N.O. is a real city with real problems they *****, moan, and flee if the culture shock doesn't kill them first. One thing though, you either get New Orleans or you don't.

As far as a place to stay, I would prefer the Marigny over the Quarter without a doubt.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 09-12-2010 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 02:28 PM

310 posts, read 852,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Oh, I understand. I just felt the need to point that out because so many move here thinking it was going to be some enchanted land that they fell in love with during a carriage tour or streetcar ride, but once they realize that N.O. is a real city with real problems the *****, moan, and flee if the culture shock doesn't kill them first. One thing though, you either get New Orleans or you don't.
Thank you. I'd like to second this thought. I know way too many people who move here out of tourist love and are blindsided that it's not Mardi Gras and jazz all day every day with random people inviting you to their crawfish boils.

OP: my intentions are pure and I'm not trying to be mean, but I'd suggest finding a way to experience things outside the tourist realm before jumping on a move. Find a way to get into the grit for a few days and do some research about New Orleans on sites that aren't catering to tourism such as news venues. Take a look at some of the bad stuff said here and ask about it, most of it is complaining but some of it really does ring true.

It's not all bad as you know. Heck, I actually WAS invited in for food in Central City by strangers while walking back to my car from a school I was at. However, there's something to be said about the fact that I had an easier time adjusting to New York City than I did New Orleans. I've traveled the world and my worst culture shock has been New Orleans

Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 PM

30 posts, read 80,242 times
If you and your wife really feel like this is your place in the universe, you should definetely move here... If after awhile you start thinking you made a mistake, you can always move somewhere else, like arizona / seattle - all nice places for artsy people ...

Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 PM

423 posts, read 1,245,234 times
Amazing to me that rents in the quarter would be this high ($2000 for 1BR). I know folks who are college students living in 2BRs in the quarter and there's no way they could afford at that price range. Also, since Katrina, vacancies in Katrina are super-high, so you'd think the prices would go down to meet the reduced demand. And if they really were Manhattan prices, you'd think developers would scramble to redevelop the scores upon scores of dilapidated properties in the quarter (particularly the stuff closer to Canal Street and around Decatur/Chartres) to meet that tremendous demand that can ask for sky-high prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans