U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,846 times

Advertisements

My 20 year old daughter is flying into New Orleans and then needs to get down to Morgan City. She's too young to rent a car, and a cab may be super expensive?? Does anyone know of a service that reliably goes between these areas for a fair price? I haven't been able to find bus service, etc. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,202,074 times
Wow that is quite a task. Morgan City is definitely a long ways from MSY, I don't even know how much they'd charge you for a cab. That would be a 90 minute drive easily. Greyhound used to run up and down Hwy. 90 from New Orleans to Lafayette (which would pass at or near Morgan City) in addition to the quicker I-10 way but they seem to have cut that route. You may be stuck having to get a cab all the way there.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,619,741 times
Wow, hundreds of dollars probably. Can't someone come pick her up for a flat fee?

Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 AM

245 posts, read 416,852 times
Anyone know any details on those transportation companies that bring offshore crews to the heliports/docks? Maybe one of those would be able to help her (and would be an insured company)?

Or, possibly a small flight from MSY to Patterson, and then a cab from there? I don't know if there are any flights from MSY to Patterson though?

If it were me, I'd consider the cost difference between what ever you find and what a car rental would be. If the car rental is cheap enough to justify it, send someone old enough to rent the car. That way she has a 'travel buddy'. It may end up that two people flying with a car rental is as cheap as a single flight with all the cab fare. Then, there's the added benefit of a personal mode of transport plus a travel partner - much safer.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,342,542 times
Can't you rent the car for her at home and have one waiting for her at the airport in New Orleans?

On the other hand, she's 20 years old and perfectly capable of figuring it out for herself, don't you think?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM

There's no flight between MSY and Patterson. Hell, there isn't even a direct flight between the N.O. and Lafayette. I would say the travel buddy thing is a good idea. Or just start calling cab companies now and try to negotiate something.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 7,846 times
Oh my gosh, thanks everyone for your replies, even if there are no clear answers! So far, a cab is $230 each way -- obviously prohibitive. To stillkit, yes my daughter is 20 and independent and should be able to do this on her own, but she's coming from Seattle, I live in California, and she has never been to Louisiana. She is visiting a good friend who's a diver working on oil spill clean-up. With his schedule, he can't go up and get her. I will keep calling cab companies. And thanks again for reading my post. It was most appreciated! Really.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 AM

The rental car thing is absurd. I was 24 last year paying double because I was between the age of 21 and 25 and only after hiking up the price did they let me drive! I've never even been in an accident! Driving here is pretty easy, it's insulting that they won't let your daugher rent a vehicle. As us Cajuns say, "C'est la vie" (that's life).

Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 AM

19,866 posts, read 58,619,741 times
Place an ad on Craigslist to see if a ride-share is possible. She could buy the gas or just pay a flat fee.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,915 times
Unhappy Any solutions?

Hey, Bizzymom!

Did you find an answer to this? I'm in New Olreans trying to find a way of getting to Morgan City this weekend, today. Can't find any buses that go there, or anybody to share a ride with.

Looks like I'm hitching unless you can help...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymom3 View Post
My 20 year old daughter is flying into New Orleans and then needs to get down to Morgan City. She's too young to rent a car, and a cab may be super expensive?? Does anyone know of a service that reliably goes between these areas for a fair price? I haven't been able to find bus service, etc. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans