Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 07:09 PM

194 posts, read 1,028,385 times

Advertisements

It looks like my family will be relocating to NO. DH's hometown....you bet he's excited

I thought it was probably best to ask the local people....How popular are doulas in New Orleans?

(if you need to know what a doula is Colorado Springs Doula - Mothering Hands - Birth Doula - Postpartum Doula - Breastfeeding Support (http://mothering-hands.com/default.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
It looks like my family will be relocating to NO. DH's hometown....you bet he's excited

I thought it was probably best to ask the local people....How popular are doulas in New Orleans?

(if you need to know what a doula is Colorado Springs Doula - Mothering Hands - Birth Doula - Postpartum Doula - Breastfeeding Support (http://mothering-hands.com/default.aspx - broken link)
To be quite honest I had to visit your website to find out what a doulas does.

I have never heard of or seen a doulas here but I think that your service would be great for the area. I know that with our first child we would have used you if we knew they had such a service available as I feel it would come in handy with first time parents.

Also on a side not I found a sentence that needs correcting on your resources page, the two words information and for are running together. (Spinning Babies - Fetal positioning informationfor easier childbirth).

Good luck with your business services and welcome to New Orleans. People here are very friendly and I would think they would be open to what you offer.

I find that most of my work is from word of mouth so I would advise you to get some nice business cards made and carry them every where you go and don't be afraid of telling people what you do and handing them one of your cards.

busta

Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 AM

194 posts, read 1,028,385 times
Thanks for input and the pointer I added some resources yesterday and missed that one. Boo for me

Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
They're not as popular as other cities, but there is a growing population who prefers to use a doula. I'm in an OB rotation right now and I've only seen 1 doula used in 8 weeks; however, the hospital I'm at caters more to those who tend to be uneducated about their birth process and/or uninsured and unable to afford a doula's services. Touro has a great birthing center with many different aids for natural births and I have heard of many there using doulas. I worked a breastfeeding expo 2 weeks ago and there were more "natural" type mothers there than I could've ever imagined, so there has to be a demand somewhere! I'll ask around. A colleague of mine is a lay midwife and may have info I can pass on.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,420 times
yes there a few doulas praciticing in NOLA..they have a community doula network and I organize the Louisiana Natural Birth group which promotes doulas. we will be at the Baby Fest in NOLA this coming weekend, a few of the local doulas will be there with us. [mod] too new, read TOS [/mod]
And to Pook77 you should recommend doulas to those patients that you see. women by and large are uneducated about the birth experience and it is time their health care provides start helping to educate them rather than enable their ignorance thus putting even more strain and liability on the health care provider.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-29-2010 at 06:43 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 06:40 PM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
Hi Shamburger! It was difficult to teach patients in the environment that was given to me, but in that rotation I definitely learned, at the very least, the importance of taking control of your own birth plan. As more and more young professionals move into the area everyday, I'm sure the need for doulas will increase. It seems to be the trend, even though it shouldn't just be a "trend" and I'm happy to see it catching on. My arena isn't OB but it is public health, and I'll do my best. If you know of any resources that focus on the underprivledged/uninsured, feel free to send me a private message! Thanks to what I witnessed in that rotation last July, I'm focusing on a population that wouldn't normally be able to afford a doula to see what can be done to avoid the unnecessary.

I hope students were asked to come to your program on 10/2 because the program I worked back in July was an eye-opener for me. If you know that they haven't, please send me a private message.

Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans