Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM

103 posts, read 269,865 times

Advertisements

Does anyone hve any idea how hard it would be to get hired on with the NOPD with no law enforcement experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I don't think it would be that difficult. They've been pretty understaffed since Katrina, although the cops that stayed since the storm are some of the finest and most experienced in the country. You have to be 21, not 18-20. Obviously they will ask you a bunch of questions on the polygraph. You can't have ever done any hard drugs, and it needs to be 3+ since you smoked pot. But I hear if you admit to smoking pot you'll receieve a psychological evaluation and your chances of getting hired diminish. So hopefully you have a clean record! If you're too fat to run a mile in whatever the time is they'll stick you in the Crime Lab until you can get fit enough to pass haha

Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Do you have any military or other relevant experience that would benefit the department? Even if you don't, possessing good moral character and a strong work ethic is a top quality that many departments will overlook if you have no prior LE background. If you have a clean record, that will work very heavily in your favor.

Go ahead and apply. What do you have to lose?

If you are hanging around bad or negative people, drop them like a hot potato, immediately. Additionally, watch what you post on Facebook and other social networking sites. If you are serious about becoming a police officer, I highly recommed you reduce or stop your online activity immediately. When a background check is conducted after you apply, I can almost guarantee that your name will be Googled and searched by an investigator.

When you fill out the application, especially the background packet, be honest. Dishonesty will get you disqualified faster than no experience. The background investigators wil find things out, so don't try to hide something you did, no matter how trivial or insignificant it may seem.

The oral boards are for some the biggest obstacle in the hiring process to overcome. You will have a panel of experienced officers sitting right across from you. It's basically an interrogation to see how you respond under stress. I can't emphasize the importance of looking and acting professional. Wear a dark, conservative suit, white shirt and conservative tie. Polished shoes, shave and no earings or piercings. When you walk in the room, firm handshake and look each officer in the eye. Start practicing saying sir and ma'am. That's the only way you should refer to anyone during the process. Leave the cell phone in the car!

Google some oral board questions and practice them with a friend. This interview will be tough, but if you are prepared and confident, you will do fine in this phase. Tell them why you want to join the NOPD and also be sure to have knowledge about the orginization as well. And by all means, don't say you saw their department on "COPS".

Remember, potential employers love to hear the word ""team". It's not about you anymore.

Good luck to you!

Gil

Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM

245 posts, read 455,370 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/showt...errerid=772401

Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
NOPD proposes dramatic changes in hiring standards - New Orleans News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - FOX 8 Live WVUE-TV Channel 8

Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM

103 posts, read 269,865 times
that sucks im out i find it kind of stupid i had a 3.4 gpa in high school but i just chose not to go to college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: