U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM

104 posts, read 435,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
Can someone explain why people commute 2 hours a day (total) to the Northshore? Is it really that much better over their? You are giving up 10 hours every week and 200+ bucks in extra gas money. Not to mention that driving is one of the most dangerous things you can do during the day. Does it really add up??? I'm curious.
Econ 101: try to buy a house in New Orleans, friend, especially if you have kids. when you add insurance costs in the city (we're talking 3-5,000 annual), private schools (a few more thousand per kid, unless you get in lusher, in which case you've paid a premium for uptown), a decidedly higher risk factor for flooding, not to mention the moving target of real estate values and crime statistics, East Bank Orleans parish is a hard sell, when you can get twice the house without those added costs across the lake. yes, the commute is a bitc*, but so is the CCC, and getting out to Kenner or the outer edges of Metairie can get backed up quickly too. and when you get home, you're still in Metairie--no offense, but the North Shore has more to offer in terms of access to the lake, running and biking trails than most of OP and JP; not everyone who moved to Covington/MAndeville did it b/c they were afraid to live in the city, trust me. But as cool as the Marigny or Bywater or uptown are, they are not ideal or cost-friendly for raising a family. Check out realty listings, add the extra money for homeowners and school costs, and the fact that the commute is only about 15 minutes longer than trips to the west bank or outer edges of Jefferson during traffic hours, then it's not that hard to understand why

and it's not that there's nothing to do on the NS; one of them just happens to be to "go into town"
re: the commute--95% of the time the causeway is running at 65-70 mph when I-10 is at a crawl. it may be tough to get to the bridge in the pm, but not in the am heading south, and once on it, there are no more exits for people to enter the traffic. it flows and fast unless there's breakdown or accident, which clears 10x, no 20x, faster than the CCC or I-10. the actual time on the causeway at average speed is a whopping 22 minutes (24 miles at 65-67mph)--it's not hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM

11 posts, read 27,221 times
I appreciate that post mnr3.

I'll be starting a job at LSU in a couple weeks, and I'll be relocating my family down there when school's out in early June. We're looking on both sides of the lake and the river, although my wife is pretty set on the North Shore. It's lovely up there, and there seems to be lots to do for families (we've been down a couple times to look around).

BUT, I am concerned about the long commute across the lake or even from St. Charles Parish. It seems no matter where you are in the metro NOLA area, you're looking at some massive bridge/road construction project that's not going to done for years.

And, as mnr2 mentioned, real estate in Orleans and the East bank of JP is very expensive, it's hard to tell where the good neighborhoods are and either your kid has to be a genius to get into a decent charter school or you have to fork out thousands of dollars for private school.

So, it's predominantly a financial decision for us, but I do want my kids to get a decent education and live in a safe neighborhood with decent folks.

BTW, what's the "CCC"?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,421,702 times
Cresent City Connection also know at the Mississippi River Bridge, I live on the West Bank and the commute from Challmette is generaly close to an hour in the evening, yep most of my north shore buddies run between an 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day in the evenings. Many pro's and cons to consider with commuting, also some so called experts predict 5 dollar a gallon gas by the end of 2012, could get rough.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Are we talking about the I-10 bridge Slidell, then, versus the Huey Long from Orleans to JP?

Quote:
I live on the West Bank and the commute from Challmette is generaly close to an hour in the evening, yep most of my north shore buddies run between an 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day in the evenings. Many pro's and cons to consider with commuting, also some so called experts predict 5 dollar a gallon gas by the end of 2012, could get rough.
Ouch!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM

104 posts, read 435,968 times
to get to NO:
Slidell--take I 10 "twin spans" bridge across short section of the lake, must deal with traffic on "the high rise" that crosses canal; lots of traffic
Huey P: Mississippi River Bridge (MBR) from east bank to west bank in Jefferson Parish, which is upriver (west) of NO (I probably would not be looking at much that far upriver in Jeff.
CCC=crescent city connection, the big pair of bridges for Orleans parish, connecting NO to Algiers and much of Jefferson Parish; a nice short trip when there is no traffic, but quickly and routinely a heavy traffic route; incredible volume--15-20 minutes normal becomes 45+
Mandeville/Covington: take causeway unless it's closed or maybe under fog advisory, in which case you'll likely go through slidell, which will be closer to an hour or so. the causeway commute is around 45-50, depending on starting and end points (i.e. a half hour to Metairie)
you just have to keep looking, really. it depends on what you can afford, how old your kids are, how long you plan on staying in the area, how close you want to be to the city, etc. problem is, as you've found out, NO was once pretty much an island--it's surrounded by water, so urban sprawl did not have close and ready farm land to develop. if I had my druthers, I'd be uptown or in lakeview, but we are still in the housing bubble, prolonged by Katrina/Rita, exacerbated by insurance costs and a still difficult school topography (btw, there are a number of catholic schools that aren't terribly expensive, just as there are some outrageously expensive and exclusive schools in the private scene...)

Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks.

Anyone know anything about Faith Lutheran school's reputation and location (in Harahan)?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 AM

391 posts, read 484,323 times
So if it takes 1 hour to get to work and an 1.5 hour to get home you will lose 2.5 hours a day and 12.5 hours a week. Multiply that times $20/hr (I figure that's what college grads make) equals $250/week. Multiply that times 4 equals $1000. $12,000 should get your kid into a decent school in New Orleans. We left out gas, increase maintenance cost on your car and the time you lose with your family because you are on the road (I think this is the biggest cost associated with commutes). I still don't think it adds up.

One other thing, Mandeville prices are pretty high. The average price per square foot for homes sold in the last 3 months in New and Excellent condition was $114.8. (courtesy of the Moderator cut: can only cite realtor.com )

I'm just saying....

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-04-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM

41 posts, read 107,931 times
We've lived "out in the country" for so long that we're afraid to live in the city. But that's Texas. Now we may have to move to New Orleans for work and really don't know where to go or what to do. . .

Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 PM

167 posts, read 776,482 times
Sorry- whenever I hear Mandeville pop up in conversation, I just have to chime in
I never understood the live on the Northshore/Southshore conflict. As someone else stated, not everyone moves to the Northshore for fear of crime in NOLA. In fact, I think that is probably down on the bottom of the list.
I currently live in a suburb of Atlanta, and I am not here because I am scared of all the crime in the big city. I live here because I like the slower pace of life, the award-winning public schools, the off-street parking, the large yard to garden and play in, and the peace and quiet. It is not everyone's cup of tea to live the city life. I don't care so much about the commute, and I don't have to do some big cost comparison to justify where and how I live.
So to answer the OP....Yes, in my opinion, it is worth living on the Northshore.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM

194 posts, read 490,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzogirl View Post
As someone else stated, not everyone moves to the Northshore for fear of crime in NOLA.
I can understand the charm of the Northshore. A lot of people love that quiet, "lake community" feel. It's not my thing, but I have friends and relatives in various states that just belong and feel happiest in that kind of place.

Personally, I love being in the city of New Orleans, plus I am such a river gal. I've always loved cities with rivers and when we first moved here we narrowed down our apartment choices based on "closer to the river than the lake". We recently moved to Riverbend and I couldn't be happier. I like visiting the Northshore, just like many folks on the Northshore like visiting the city.

Everyone can't live in the same place anyway, so I think it's good that we all like different things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans